Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Being what appears to be a Fiat / Abarth of some sort... different ways to make the car catch fire.

Yeah, when you're doing 160 miles per-pffffhahaha. Man, I almost got that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

bolind posted:

Idly browsing the for sale section for stuff for E87s, I come upon these wheels:

I'm sure those two tires had excellent grip, especially in the wet.

Does this look like 1 side being bald to anyone else? It looks like the middle 2 tires in that picture are narrower than the outside 2. To me, it looks like:

[rear][front][front][rear]

Is it just me?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Motronic posted:

Can you explain why any reasonable person who doesn't know anything about trains would not start making that turn when 1.) the gates went up 2.) the driver of the truck watched this happen as well as traffic going through the crossing 3.) the train is obviously stationary and has been the entire time he's been able to see the crossing 4.) the flagger hadn't even made it to the tarmac by the time he had come the a complete stop and then started moving again.

Some random person walking down the tracks where you may or may see a flag in their hand is not the kind of thing that would make me stop in this situation. Please explain where a normal person would not have started to proceed through that crossing, or where a sensible traffic controller/flagger would step into the road after watching an 80,000 lb vehicle bang out 3 gears in their direction rather than just pausing for 5 extra seconds before proceeding into the crossing.

I'm with you on this. I can say that I would have gone in this situation. I mean, train is stopped, gates go up, I'm rolling out. Based on the angle that truck was approaching at, the driver probably didn't even see that flagger.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
"A". A mile per gallon.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

devmd01 posted:

4 inches of snow overnight, and the interstates haven't been touched at all. What the gently caress, INDOT?

Too busy out getting drunk and laughing at our plight with IDOT.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Galler posted:

Nope. That's a myth that just refuses to die I'm sorry to say.

Mine did. Sorry bro.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Kill-9 posted:

I share a parking lot with inconsiderate jack-hole co-workers. I came out to my T-Bird Monday evening to find this in the passenger door.

It's about 15" long and down to the metal. Also the pressure against the door caused stress cracks to radiate through the paint all over. You can kind of see it on the left side of the first pic. No one fessed up. I spent an hour yesterday looking at every car in the lot looking for a matching paint transfer. No joy. Also, no working cameras in the lot. There's cameras, they just aren't functional. That helps. Company V.P. was like "That sucks..." and nothing more.

As it's a custom metal flake color I can't just run to Pep Boys for a touch up pen. Going to spend some time wet sanding and buffing to try to minimize it but it's still going to look like hell. A couple guys in the local club that do paint repair have offered to look closer at it this weekend during our cruise.

My rage was indescribable. It still is. How do you miss a 19 foot long bright red and chrome car sitting right next to you?

This boils my loving blood and it's not even my car.

Do not give up the hunt for the guilty party. Question everyone. Inspect every car that comes into that lot with any possible sticky-out parts at that height. Make them pay for the repaint.

with their blood...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I used to commute past a scrapyard and trucks like that were an almost daily observance.

The unsafe load isn't what surprised me.. it was how much goddamn scrap metal is out there. You'd think that after a year or so they'd run out of garbage to pilfer but nope, there's guys who've been doing it for years and keep finding full truckloads worth of scrap.

I know exactly what you mean. I live right by one and every goddamned Saturday those fuckers are lined up down the road with truckbeds FULL of crap. Where are they finding it all?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Solkanar512 posted:

This is a fairly important exception, I agree. I just hear too many stories where it's a customer service call center, shop at the mall or pizza delivery service. You end up with one rear end in a top hat of a manager that can't bear to close shop because reasons and if you don't have the dedication to you minimum wage, no benefits job then you're just not a team player. Those are the folks I had in mind.

Not to mention the fact that if the weather is bad enough for you to want to stay home, once you do get to work, there's usually not poo poo to be done because everyone else has stayed home.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Or maybe the guy's idle is all hosed up in his noted shitbox and he can't leave it in drive or it dies? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

This was rolling around in a Lemons race a few years back:

:canada:, except for the fact this was in Illinois.

Autobahn? I know they've done ChumpCar, but I didn't know if they did LeMons races.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Yeah, Autobahn. Kind of a boring track but it's the best in the area. They had two Lemons races there last year.

I've driven the south track and yeah, it's a bit boring. Needs more elevation.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I'm no traffic engineer but it says to me that anyone designing a highway system that constantly splits and combines lanes is a goddamn idiot. Like, say, 290 every goddamn interstate in Chicago. :suicide:

There we go. That's a little more accurate.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Midniter posted:

On my way home from the gym, I take the left turn at the X. Lately I've been seeing lots of cars in the left turn only lane just completely creep past the white line and stop where the O is. As you can see, this makes it very difficult for me to complete my turn and stay in my lane.

Friday, a car was so far in front of the line that it impeded me completely and I had to stop my car mid-turn. The driver was oblivious, too, until I laid on the horn and extended her a one-finger salute with my arm out the window. On her phone, of course, and with a "What did I do wrong?" expression on her face when I made it very clear she was in the way.

It makes me mad just thinking about it!

I know exactly what you mean. On my way home, I have to make a left turn at the X. People waiting to turn left out of that road are loving CONSTANTLY past the line sitting at the circle. I make it a point to get as close as I comfortably can when I make the turn. Solid eye contact really seals the deal.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

subx posted:

There's also the complete opposite of this, when you actually stop some extra distance behind the line and some shithead has to cut the corner and get two inches from your car. I stopped back here just so you wouldn't do that.

I get that a lot, too. Admittedly, I'll cut the corner a bit as well, but only when there's nobody in the lane and and I can see far enough down to know that there won't be anyone in it.

(Sort of tangentially related)
It kind of reminds me of when I got hit in my old car. I was coming straight through a yellow light (multiple witnesses to the yellow) and there was a kid heading the opposite direction waiting to turn left. As I entered the intersection, I noticed that he was moving and thought to myself, "there's no way you're that stupid..." Turns out he was. He managed to hit me right behind the door, but ahead of my rear wheel.

Once we got moved out of traffic with the cop that showed up, I saw that he must have very recently turned 16 and now had to tell his parents that their very well equipped Trailblazer LTZ was going to need a new hood, fender, headlight, grill, and bumper. Insurance totalled mine, but I got a pretty good check.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Ah, Tyrone. You silly fat bastard.

Hey, it was a funny angle.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

There's a long stretch of road I'll drive sometimes that's about 20 miles of rolling hills.. about half a mile up one hill, half a mile down the other side, and then it's another hill.

Rather than try to keep a constant speed I just park my foot at a set throttle and let gravity do what it will. I pick up a bunch of speed going downhill then it all bleeds off by the time I get to the top of the next one. Unless there's a really tall hill I almost always end up at the same speed I started at.

Probably sucks for whoever gets stuck behind me though.

A bit off-topic, but as I'm pretty sure you're around Chicago somewhere, I need to ask where this road is. I loving hate driving up here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Out on the western edge of the state, we use it to get to a state park along the Mississippi. Pretty much any farm road west of route 23 has low rolling hills.

Gotcha. There's tons of fun stuff down south (where I'm originally from), but I haven't made it west of Rockford up here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I want to thank the owner of the 335i perpetuating stereotypes about BMW drivers who was so incensed at being forced to drive at a mere 45 in a 40 mph zone that he zigged between lanes about four times in a quarter mile trying to find a hole, crossing a double yellow to try and figure out why people were blocking him (spoiler: the road was full and no one could go faster) and flipping his high beams rapidly because we didn't part like the red sea to allow his lordship through.

He hugs up on my bumper and does this for a few seconds, so I brake checked him. That finally got him to back off but as soon as a car in the other lane made a turn he juked around me at full throttle and tried to brake check me back. Unfortunately for him I knew it was coming so I'd let off the gas and all he ended up doing was looking like an even bigger dick.

About 100 yards later he made a left turn, and jerked the wheel three times as he tried to decide which side to slip around the next car in front of him, all before he'd even finished the turn.

Stupid shitface, hope he impales himself on a guardrail.

It's always the 335s, isn't it? Rarely will you see such obvious idiocy from the 328s or even M3s, but you'll always see a jackass in a 335.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

some texas redneck posted:

Find a junkyard with 70s-80s Cadillacs.

Remove the horn set from one or two of them. You'll find anywhere from 2 to 5 horns in each of them. They're hidden all over the front clip; you'll find them behind the bumper, in front of the radiator, inside the fenders, buried behind the air filter housing, behind the headlights...

I pulled a set from a 90 DeVille a few years back and dropped them into my old Altima. It went from the tiniest little meep meep meep meep meeeeeep meeeeeeep to HONK loving HONK, BITCH :smuggo:

Air horns are loud as poo poo, and also :laffo: - but you risk tickets, on top of them being a general PITA to install if you use actual big horns with a decent tank and compressor.

I have access to an '82 Deville, '84 Eldorado, and an '84 Fleetwood. I may do a little horn shopping this weekend...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I think poo poo Tons of Rattles were a standard feature. Had to drive my father in law's for about a week (long story) and had to jam some random keys and nails into the sunroof surround to stop the noise and keep my sanity.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GramCracker posted:

This needs to become a thing.

The jails and prisons are already overcrowded...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

You are completely incorrect about the illegality of this in the state of Missouri, which given the fact isn't progressive or much of a stand-out in any way legislatively is likely to be a pretty good bellwether for the rest of the nation.

The relevant statutes can be found here:
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3040000281.HTM

More specifically, these two statutes are most important.
(a) Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic shall not enter the intersection;
and
(a) Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal alone shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection at a clearly marked stop line but, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown except as provided in paragraph (b);

The key word in these statutes is "enter". You may not enter the intersection on red. Once entered, you command right-of-way in your direction of travel till clearing the intersection. If in the event the light turns red while you are in the intersection it is of no consequence, as you have already entered the intersection.

This is exactly why the dumbass that hit me while I was going through a yellow light was found at fault. This was in Illinois.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PT6A posted:

I think I posted this in the thread a few months ago, but I had the same car pass me no less than 4 times in 90 minutes while I was on cruise control the entire time. I still have no idea what the gently caress was wrong with them.

The worst thing about these people is they'll usually speed up on downhill straight sections, so they can be im-loving-possible to pass safely.

I will never ever understand this. I still remember a time that I was heading down to see my parents a few years back and had my cruise set at 78 on the interstate. I rolled past some bro in a Mk.V GTI (I was in left lane, he was in center lane) and he must have not appreciated it because he cracked it open and blasted back by me a few seconds later. I didn't touch my cruise and just rolled by him again about a minute later.

I don't think people like being passed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Uthor posted:

I'm realizing this is the first year I'm going to have to commute in the winter while dealing with traffic. I spent ten years working 2nd and 3rd shifts, so I'd spend a lot of time driving around midnight when the roads were clear and I could gently caress around on them a bit. Now I'm working 9-to-5 and get frustrated driving driving on a clear summer's day. There were some flurries two days ago that weren't sticking to anything and traffic went from 45 mph to 30 mph.

Welcome to hell. I would loving kill to be able to drive home at midnight instead of 5:00 during a heavy snow.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

It won't take off dude.

The conveyor belt will collapse, they aren't intended for that much weight.

Nah, you just have to get it from the same place that sells the turntables to launch helicopters from.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:psyduck: What the gently caress is going on here?

"It's not even clean! What a loving ripoff!"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wolfsbane posted:

Crossposting from the D&D pictures thread:

Holy poo poo. Please tell me that that letter is causing an appropriate shitstorm. It is, right? Right?

I'm sure it's not.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Gom Jabbar posted:

Not sure how it is attached.

How what is attached?

Oh hey, there's a trailer over there.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

What the hell happened to this thread? All I see is people spergin' at each other. Jesus.

These are the people you share a parking lot with.

And this is why I stay in that facebook group. It's some of the best people watching available anywhere, every time I look in there it's some passel of retards arguing with each other. Almost like this thread, except none of them are trolling or ironiposting.

This is amazing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Got a good one in the vein of the OP. electrical diagnosis because when this guy disconnects his battery his car doesnt work.

https://i.imgur.com/tJaBJjl.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Oh Eleanore :allears:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Spiffness posted:

You'll get no argument from me. Absolutely. BUT, it at least explains being able to ignore the gently caress-off loud siren right behind you.

Yeah, but I'd think that if I were deaf and driving, I'd be all over my mirrors so as not to miss any giant red trucks with gently caress-off bright lights right behind me. Plus, I'd probably actually pull up to the stop line.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

beejay posted:

God dammit. The interstate construction lane merging idiocy reached a new low this morning. They were working on an overpass, the construction zone/lane restriction was literally SLIGHTLY wider than the overpass itself, like a tenth of a mile at most. Traffic was backed up beyond the "left lane closed 3 miles ahead" sign. Me and some other people tried to stay in the left lane until we could at least SEE the merge point but nope, guy in a Wal-Mart semi decides he is lane police and blocks us all. Another semi a few cars back starts doing the same thing. So we all crawl along, stop and go for the next 3 miles, pass the actual lane closure/construction in the blink of an eye and then traffic is moving again. The bulk of the traffic problems were from everyone merging miles too early and then getting nervous when they see semis ahead blocking the lanes off, so merging even earlier.

I'm sure it sucks to drive a semi and not be able to merge easily but what is the goal of blocking everyone else from driving nearer the merge point? I want to be able to do something about these semis that block off both lanes like that but I dunno what. I guess I could call their "how am I driving" number, how seriously are complaints like that taken?

"I'm stuck in traffic, therefor you will be stuck in traffic."

I say call the number. Worst case scenario, they laugh you off the phone. Best case, they tell the driver to knock that poo poo off.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InterceptorV8 posted:

They'll laugh at you and tell you to fuckin' merge early at the office.

Oh wait, he said Wal-Mart truck. Yeah, forget the number.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

:getout:

I think my favorite "followed by some wanker" incident was when I still had my old 96 XJ. 4" lift, 33" tires, beat to hell, splattered with mud. I was at the light right off i290 exit 9 in Auburn, having just gotten a red light, when the engine stalled as I came to a stop. I was pretty sure I had a grounding issue due to the really weird behavior of a few things (HVAC blower, transmission controller, and 4wd indicator lamp to name a few, these all share one ground screw on that era XJ.) So I pop the hood, get out with a nutdriver I fortunately happened to have in the center console, and just as I'm popping the hood the guy behind me absolutely loses his poo poo. Honking, yelling, flipping me off, etc. So I ignored him, tightened the self tapper holding the ground wires to the inner fender down (the tire had contacted the inner fender and knocked it loose as I suspected) closed the hood, got back in, started it back up, the light went green, I flipped him off and drove away. Didn't even slow the guy down, what the gently caress is his problem?

I figured that was the end of it, but a few blocks later I realized he was still following me, so I took a few random turns through a residential area. Idiot followed me through every single one. Turned the dome light on, looked over my shoulder at him, reached in the back seat and grabbed the 3 foot crowbar I'd just bought, put it in the passenger seat, turned the dome light on, and kept driving... he didn't follow me through the next turn for some odd reason.

Was this a dumb escalation? I'm sure someone here will think so. Do I give a gently caress? No, it worked, if he'd kept following me I would have called the cops on my cellphone and driven to the police station, I don't feel like going to jail or getting shot by some idiot.

Sounds to me like you were just securing some potentially dangerous loose cargo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

In a Corvair! What a loving ride.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

My dad had a manual Ford Ranger in the 90's that I could not drive to save my life. I don't remember what year it came from but based on the body style it was 89-92. I'd been driving stick for 6+ years by the time I was behind the wheel of that truck and I stalled that piece of poo poo so many times it made me question my ability to drive.

The clutch was basically binary, it went from zero engagement to full engagement in about a millimeter of travel and the engine had poo poo for torque. The only way I could get it rolling was to crank the RPM and just drop my foot off the clutch.

I learned on one of those Rangers. "Learned," rather. It soured the experience for me, but I sort of re-learned in a friend's third gen Camaro. Driving that made me realize that I didn't suck; the truck did.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

That explains why all their commercials for the past couple years have been no more complicated than a spokesperson in a showroom dithering about how rad their cars are, the budget for anything more went into paying off lawsuits.

"Grounded to the ground"

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I was merging onto a highway over the weekend, the merge lane is a bit longer than normal because it turns into an exit only about a mile later.

Some twit in a Ram pulls up alongside me and matches my speed perfectly, door to door. I speed up a little to get in front of him so I can merge over, he speeds up too. I let off the gas, he lets off the gas. I started to think he was intentionally loving with me but after I mashed the pedal to the floor and made a real effort to pull away he didn't respond. Eventually got enough of a gap to pull in front of him, check the mirror, and of course he's on his phone.

Idiot. :argh:

I think this must be some sort of target fixation. They're obviously not paying any attention to you directly, but they must be subconsciously matching your speed through subtle changes. Yet another problem that can be solved by paying loving attention.