Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Mr. Crow posted:

This game is cool as poo poo but man it runs like rear end in a top hat for me :( Is it just a stressful game or is there some optimization yet to be done or what? I've got a pretty beefy computer..

Have you tried the test build, or just the 'live' build? In the test build there have been some very significant performance improvements across the board. Though yeah, Hawken can be stressful. However, if you have even a middling computer, running on low/med, especially in the new test build, you should be able to run it very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I dunno I just downloaded from website, presumably live. How would I get the test?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The test build is much, much more optimized than the build you're working with. I had the same problem and ended up quitting until I upgraded my computer, but came back for the test patch and while it's not silky smooth, it's definitely playable now.

http://www.playhawken.com/patchtest?utm_term=0_Live_Hawken_News
Here's the place you want to go to download the test.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Mr. Crow, I found using advanced video settings and killing bloom, Depth of field, motion blur, and image grain filter made the game much more enjoyable for me, especially framerate wise.

Death from above works. I did not now that until I did it trying to get away from a bruiser. Nice 750 credits for that.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 9, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The gameplay is pretty fun, but I have yet to run into a match that was even remotely close. Every single round has been a hugely one sided slaughter in one direction or another. Yeah, it's nice to be on the side that wins 50-12, but decidedly less fun when you're the one guy on the other side of it with a functioning brain, and are a newbie to boot. :saddowns:

Also the most recent game I played was TDM and had a pair of guy sin repair mechs healing their team up while they all moved in a big ball and hid in cubbyholes. I could nearly kill them but I couldn't heard pubbies together to get them to actually attack their little healing fort so it ended poorly. Are group queues a thing in this? Because they were really well coordinated.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Hawken, as cool as it is, suffers from "Battlefield Syndrome." 4/5 games are going to be extremely one-sided; there's literally no autobalance, and no way to switch to the winning losing team. You'd think that would make it into a patch designed to rework a lot of the game. Getting routed is the exact opposite of fun, but you'd better get used to it, most games you join are going to be you filling in the gap left behind by a ragequitting pubbie.

I'm certain most of those are people joining as groups to steamroll pubbies. I've seen lots of Brawlers with pocket Technicians glued to their rear end. I like the group join idea, but I think it should behave the way it does in World of Warcraft, where if you join a game as a group, it will only match you against others who joined as a group too.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 9, 2013

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

sitchelin posted:

Hawken, as cool as it is, suffers from "Battlefield Syndrome." 4/5 games are going to be extremely one-sided; there's literally no autobalance, and no way to switch to the winning losing team. You'd think that would make it into a patch designed to rework a lot of the game. Getting routed is the exact opposite of fun, but you'd better get used to it, most games you join are going to be you filling in the gap left behind by a ragequitting pubbie.

I don't know about this new patch, but in the older version you could switch sides mid-game on the respawn screen

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kuvo posted:

I don't know about this new patch, but in the older version you could switch sides mid-game on the respawn screen

Only if the winning side has less people on it than the losing side, which is unlikely to happen given that the losing side starts ragequitting when they're already getting poo poo on 3:1 by a premade group.

LesbianCharizard
Feb 1, 2012
Awesome thread, i love this game :)

Add me Ingame: LesbianCharizard

PEW PEWP PEWWWWWW

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Did the hardcores ever make a high-FPS config for this? I lost the data I had around for its first steps out of beta
(Not necessary with my December 2012 computer, easily running maxed out thanks to the randomness of the Unreal engine behaving, but..)

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

MrLonghair posted:

Did the hardcores ever make a high-FPS config for this? I lost the data I had around for its first steps out of beta
(Not necessary with my December 2012 computer, easily running maxed out thanks to the randomness of the Unreal engine behaving, but..)

This one was made about 5 months ago... http://pastebin.com/pDNuSFnx

Of course, being a 5 month old INI, the version it was made for isn't around anymore, but I think all of the same variables can be transferred over to the more recent ini.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I really want to like this game. But my recommendation is, unless you've got a group to roll with, don't bother. There's no semblance of team balance whatsoever, and nothing to discourage teamstacking beyond a pittance of an "underdog bonus" bonus on kills.

Small sample size spread across different times of day, but every round has been premades vs pubbies. It makes for a depressing situation. Maybe I'll try it again sometime, if they decide to add matchmaking.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Zaodai posted:

I really want to like this game. But my recommendation is, unless you've got a group to roll with, don't bother. There's no semblance of team balance whatsoever, and nothing to discourage teamstacking beyond a pittance of an "underdog bonus" bonus on kills.

Small sample size spread across different times of day, but every round has been premades vs pubbies. It makes for a depressing situation. Maybe I'll try it again sometime, if they decide to add matchmaking.

An important thing to keep in mind is that since this has been the test client, all accounts are starting at base MMR. So players are going up against other players/groups that they never would in live. The system takes into account pilot level and MMR, but there's really no MMR to go off of for the test, and this issue should be much more rare in the official version arriving tomorrow.

Related: The servers are going down in 2 and a half hours for maintenance/application of the patch, and it's going to be a while; the servers will be down for 19 hours.

Also, I was wrong earlier about not having to pay for mech ranks for mechs you apply overflow xp to - you do have to pay HC to unlock the ranks. I was just misunderstanding what I was seeing as a result of the status of the mech I was applying the XP to. So that's the bad news. Good news is that the new build does give a fairly significant amount more HC per match, so I guess we'll have more currency to throw at that stuff.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 10, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

An important thing to keep in mind is that since this has been the test client, all accounts are starting at base MMR. So players are going up against other players/groups that they never would in live. The system takes into account pilot level and MMR, but there's really no MMR to go off of for the test, and this issue should be much more rare in the official version arriving tomorrow.

Related: The servers are going down in 2 and a half hours for maintenance/application of the patch, and it's going to be a while; the servers will be down for 19 hours.

Also, I was wrong earlier about not having to pay for mech ranks for mechs you apply overflow xp to - you do have to pay HC to unlock the ranks. I was just misunderstanding what I was seeing as a result of the status of the mech I was applying the XP to. So that's the bad news. Good news is that the new build does give a fairly significant amount more HC per match, so I guess we'll have more currency to throw at that stuff.

I was playing on the patch client, I was playing on the live one. Is matchmaking coming in the 9/10 patch they've been advertising?

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Oh. Wow. Huh. There is matchmaking already - has been for a while now. Your matchmaking placement is determined by your MMR which is displayed when you select the server browser when looking for a match.

You can see it on that screen, this players rating is 1806. When looking for matches on the server browser, the far right column indicates the average MMR of the players on that server. (With the coming build, I believe your MMR will be hidden) 1250 is starting MMR, 1500 is mid level, 1750+ is the games version of advanced, but the really good players tend to be all over the place past 2100+, eventually it just keeps going up with every match you play, if they play on servers on their level. If they plan on servers below their level at that point, it becomes nearly impossible to NOT hemorrhage rating, they have to work hard to just keep it from going down.

Anyway, if you find servers on the server browser that are close to your rank, you'll tend to be in a fairly good spot. If not, try lower ranked ones. Alternatively, there is the matchmaking tab in the middle that finds a server in a given region of a given game type for you, and that gets you as close to your MMR as it can.

In the live build, there are no premades - you cannot form a party, that functionality is only being implemented with the patch coming tomorrow.

At the beginning of rounds, the teams are auto balanced as people join to keep MMR as balanced on both sides as the algorithm can manage (When this functionality came out, some of us had our doubts that it worked, and so a dev came onto the IRC and showed us the numbers behind it as well as it working in a couple of live matches - it does a very good job of doing this with what it is given.) until the game starts. If both teams are full, you can't swap teams, but if the game isn't full and there is a team imbalance, people can then freely switch as will and the game won't autobalance teams from that point on.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ah, I had been using quick match like the tutorial said, figuring that the automatic matching would be where any matchmaking in the game would exist.:downs: Didn't even check out server browser.

I'll hold off until the patch anyway. Might as well see what all new fancy poo poo they're adding if it's coming out later today. I guess giving it one more shot can't hurt.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 10, 2013

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I think that with the new group system, stomping pubbies in goon squads will be the best way to help some of the people here who are new learn more while still having fun.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Just tried playing this with my Oculus rift....

Wow, its awesome, there were some problems at the start, but after a few config changes its fixed. I actually play much much better on the rift, Rift+360 Gamepad is just fantastic...

If you have a rift and want to try it heres a thread, http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1lvhdn/hawken_test_build_with_oculus_support_hopefully/

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
With the new patch I will be hopping back in the game. Feel free to add me: Invincible_Spleen

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Patch rolls out 10pm PST... soo, I won't have a chance to patch today.

Here's some confirmation on some of the issues I was worried about.

Q: Are players required to unlock mech ranks after applying Overflow XP to their mechs?
A: Yes.

Q: Do you have to unlock all 5 mech ranks to receive the next mech in the tree? Or is it unlocked simply by gaining enough XP?
A: All 5 mech ranks must be unlocked.

Q: How does party matchmaking work when dealing with players of different pilot levels?
A: The matchmaking system averages the pilot levels of the players in a party. If there is more than one game available that meets the matchmaking criteria, it factors in other variables, such as player skill.

Q: Is party vs. party matchmaking available?
A: No, this feature will be included in the future when we introduce more clan related functionality.

Q: What happened to the team switch button?
A: The team switch button was removed due to work related to the implementation of the new party system. We intend to roll out auto team balancing during matches within the next week (final date to be determined).

No party vs party worries me.
No team switch option is far more troubling. More to the point, being arbitrarily forced to swap teams is frustrating as gently caress.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

Pseudophile posted:

No team switch option is far more troubling. More to the point, being arbitrarily forced to swap teams is frustrating as gently caress.

Do you think people were naturally switching to the losing team when teams were imbalanced?

Additionally, we are all ears on ways to balance out team player counts when they get lopsided. Frustrating one person is a lot better, in my opinion, than frustrating an entire team.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

LiquidFusion posted:

Do you think people were naturally switching to the losing team when teams were imbalanced?

Additionally, we are all ears on ways to balance out team player counts when they get lopsided. Frustrating one person is a lot better, in my opinion, than frustrating an entire team.

I was, and quite often. A LOT of people quit siege games.

As for lopsided games, I'd honestly prefer to see players be unable to join a new game until the round they quit from is over.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake

Pseudophile posted:

I was, and quite often. A LOT of people quit siege games.

As for lopsided games, I'd honestly prefer to see players be unable to join a new game until the round they quit from is over.

I did as well. Sadly, we are outliers. You are absolutely correct that a lot of people quit siege games, although that has much more to do with the problems with Siege.

Many games punish players for leaving, and frankly, punishing players doesn't really affect them like you would hope. If a player is mad enough to rage quit, they are much more likely to not play the game at all than go join a new game. The correct solution, in my opinion, is to have game modes that don't easily get as lopsided as Siege games tend to get. Siege hasn't gotten much love lately for a lot of different reasons, none of which, I can describe here.

"Unbalanced teams" is a very common problem in games, and everyone deals with it a bit differently. We are definitely open to suggestions and different methods. Things can still change if we feel they need to.

NOTE: I am not saying to deal with it, nor am I saying your opinion is invalid. Your suggestion has been made internally as well.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

gently caress that, give the team missing players an xp/cred multiplier for every missing person.

You join a 7-player siege, you get in and its you and some guy vs 5 people at 1700 base health to 3000. I will leave that game now, and I will play another game if the servers lock me out until that round ends. Alternatively, I will play that round for a 3x gains multiplier.

Ragequit over lockout OR stay to fight the odds of a lopsided match for cash prizes.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Payouts and rewards, achievements and rare in-game thanks are really the only incentive that is remotely effective for hooking people to stick with a losing and outgunned team until the end. Unless some ridiculous overarching "honor" system gets put in place, which would be massive and unwieldy, people are hooked with selfish, short-term, and clearly defined rewards. "Underdog gains multiplier" "Be on an underdog for 3 more matches for a rare camo pattern" or "Survive another 10 minutes of outgunned Siege for a special repair bot" will have way more influence than any punishment approach. The bigger the carrot, the worse the odds people will endure.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sputnik posted:

Payouts and rewards, achievements and rare in-game thanks are really the only incentive that is remotely effective for hooking people to stick with a losing and outgunned team until the end. Unless some ridiculous overarching "honor" system gets put in place, which would be massive and unwieldy, people are hooked with selfish, short-term, and clearly defined rewards. "Underdog gains multiplier" "Be on an underdog for 3 more matches for a rare camo pattern" or "Survive another 10 minutes of outgunned Siege for a special repair bot" will have way more influence than any punishment approach. The bigger the carrot, the worse the odds people will endure.

At least until they get their prize. And then it's "gently caress you, got mine" while they go back to looking for games that aren't lopsided.

Add a damage/HP multiplier to teams that are getting their poo poo pushed in or are outnumbered. Losing by 50%? Damage, fuel, hp, etc. increased by X.

Custom servers would be nice too.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 11, 2013

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I'm talking about real time payouts for joining the losing team RIGHT NOW. Join right now and get the modified gains while the match is on, payed out while you are disadvantaged and not at the end of the round.

code:
While redTeamPlayers != blueTeamPlayers
	teamWithLessPlayers gains=(baseGains * differenceInPlayers)
endWhile

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

A handicap for the losing team? That's an interesting tack that I had not considered at all.

-edit-

While I will admit I am uneasy with the idea of autobalancing, that has more to do with bad memories from Battlefield games and being switched in the closing minutes of a steamrolled round.

With that being said, I personally feel that the removal of a switch team button is a bad thing. Having both would be more ideal for me, but that is simply me.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 11, 2013

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

sitchelin posted:

Add a damage/HP multiplier to teams that are getting their poo poo pushed in or are outnumbered. Losing by 50%? Damage, fuel, hp, etc. increased by X.

Hawken seems to be looking for ways to distinguish itself, and I don't see this mechanic in other games and would personally love to see it in-game.

What I'm saying is I need this right now.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

YellerBill posted:

Hawken seems to be looking for ways to distinguish itself, and I don't see this mechanic in other games and would personally love to see it in-game.

What I'm saying is I need this right now.

I see this mechanic all the time in racing games.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The patch is up, if you've been waiting to download it before bed or something.

[EDIT] Though you still can't play. The forums have a makeshift excuse that people were accidentally given access early. This seems like some really complex poo poo for a patch. Someone must have spilled beer on the servers.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 11, 2013

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

LiquidFusion posted:

Take a look at NS2's team balancing method. If teams are unbalanced, it prevents the appropriate number of people from respawning, leaving them in a spawn queue until someone dies.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Zaodai posted:

The patch is up, if you've been waiting to download it before bed or something.

[EDIT] Though you still can't play. The forums have a makeshift excuse that people were accidentally given access early. This seems like some really complex poo poo for a patch. Someone must have spilled beer on the servers.

Isn't this the patch that radically changes pretty much everything about the interface, levelling up, etc. and adds a new map?

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

First, the patch was delayed longer for download because it took longer to transfer all the accounts to the new system than was anticipated. Then, a few people were able to log in for a short time because the services that actually allow logins and stuff were being modified a bit - people weren't intended to be able to get in and they were having all kinds of syncing errors and were spawning mechs with the wrong weapons and stuff. Now, they have delayed the patch again because a new bug that only happened with this rollout caused problems with the party system. All the while, the services that run the game and the website are shared, so you can't log in on the website since the rest of the services are down, unless you were already logged in prior and didn't get logged out. To not get logged out, you have to go directly to the forums and never visit any of the other parts of the site, which means most people can't go on the forums to talk about all this.

So I think that about covers it!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Does this explain why this morning I was able to download some 1.5GB patch, which then causes any attempt to actually launch the game to instantly crash?

I really hope it's related to this delay and not that somehow I broke my hawken installation.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Been playing Hawken for a while, and my main complaint about the Ascension build is how the armor/fuel bars are now.

They look so foreign and don't match the style of Hawken at all.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

something posted:

Does this explain why this morning I was able to download some 1.5GB patch, which then causes any attempt to actually launch the game to instantly crash?

I really hope it's related to this delay and not that somehow I broke my hawken installation.

I can't say so with certainty - but yeah, that's probably why the game crashes. Personally, once I had it downloaded, I could get the game to launch, but it just tells me my password is wrong whenever I try to log in. If, when it comes online, it still crashes.. then yeah, you'll probably need to reinstall. Up to you whether you want to download again now, or wait till then to be sure... OR, when you downloaded the update, some of the files corrupted. That also happened to me, and to fix that, when you open the launcher, click the gear in the upper right, it'll search for corrupted files and redownload them.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
People losing their poo poo over a free to play game is just hilarious. Hopefully they manage to work the gremlins out.

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009
Looks like the servers are back up and running. Time to get your mech on, ya'll! :clint:

e: In as TheQuad, feel free to be my buddy.

TheQuad fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oh MAN... I really don't like the new health and fuel gauges. I hope they give us the option to switch back at some point. The dials and panels were so cool.

• Locked thread