Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

FAUXTON posted:

It was a promising game that imploded and turned to poo poo after going F2P courtesy of Reloaded. Maybe they learned something from it and maybe Hawken's gameplay will be more accommodating to the change, but generally the expectation is "it's going to become a pile of poo poo."

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

For what little it's probably worth - some of the APB players sat in on the stream that the new producer was doing the other day, and said they came out feeling optimistic.

Of course, that's like two days into the company running the game, and they're still only going through the documents and poo poo left behind at this point, so this can turn out in any number of ways. Many of those ways pointing towards what happened with games like APB. So yeah.

Oh. drat. Well, fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So much for steam "breathing new life" into hawken. That totally didn't flop at all. If this works I'll be happy though.

E: and yes, I was one of the people that was terribly unhappy about the steam move

saturnine is king goon of this game though, so follow his advice/thought process and you really can't go wrong

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 16, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I've been with Hawken since Alpha and I don't intend to give up on it now. even if I haven't played it in forever

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

If it helps, all of the old developers that have come by are pretty optimistic about this! :v: Of course that still leaves all the ones who haven't shown up...

They've been asked extremely directly by a giant pile of this games' massive fanboys (like me) whether they will make this game an extremely lovely f2p mess, and they seem to be aware of the problems with their previous games. The guy who is producing this, CapnJosh, wasn't a producer on earlier games by this company, and seems to really want this game to be good. He's taking all of the criticisms of how APB and War Rock turned out and confronting them head on, saying he doesn't want Hawken to be like that. One of the goals is certainly to profit; since it wasn't profitable beforehand, but the path to that hopefully does not lie down the path of gold plated mechs costing a hundred bucks.

Here's a couple of links to the streams where he gets bombarded by questions from twitch chat, and in the later one from chat and from a Teamspeak he hopped into. He has not streamed before these as far as I can tell - it's a bit messy.

The Teamspeak he's hung out on in the past is this public one hosted by community members: ts5.gameservers.com:9152

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 16, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Well, the game was dead anyway, so i guess this can't really make things any worse.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Guess I should swing by the discussion for all this and add my "don't gently caress this up" 2 cents. I really would like to see the stompy robot game of my heart become better and more fleshed-out. Honestly, I've been hyped up about this game since it was first announced and tried to get a bunch of my old buds that were into mech games to try it out. Would be great to have some new life breathed into it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think all the game really needs is a bigger playerbase and some fixes to matchmaking/maybe balance. It was already victim to a hamfisted attempt to monetize everything, and judging from the short time I played APB reloaded I'm not expecting them to improve the free grind but not make it worse either.

I am a bit worried about what future content will look in terms of balance, F2P games always seem to suffer from introducing fairly broken paid stuff followed by normalization later on and the playerbase bailing in the interim because nobody wants to play against/on a team full of FotM horseshit (War Thunder: German Shermans/KVs, WoT: Type 59s, etc) but Hawken managed to walk the tightrope. In fact, maybe that's what killed it since nobody wanted to pay for something that wouldn't be a universal easymode. I haven't listened to the conferences yet so this is just talking off my gut feeling. If gearbox can do right by a title like Homeworld, maybe Reloaded can too.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

FAUXTON posted:

I think all the game really needs is a bigger playerbase and some fixes to matchmaking/maybe balance. It was already victim to a hamfisted attempt to monetize everything, and judging from the short time I played APB reloaded I'm not expecting them to improve the free grind but not make it worse either.

I am a bit worried about what future content will look in terms of balance, F2P games always seem to suffer from introducing fairly broken paid stuff followed by normalization later on and the playerbase bailing in the interim because nobody wants to play against/on a team full of FotM horseshit (War Thunder: German Shermans/KVs, WoT: Type 59s, etc) but Hawken managed to walk the tightrope. In fact, maybe that's what killed it since nobody wanted to pay for something that wouldn't be a universal easymode. I haven't listened to the conferences yet so this is just talking off my gut feeling. If gearbox can do right by a title like Homeworld, maybe Reloaded can too.

One thing I think helped kill Hawken was a general lack of awareness of the game. I never once saw any kind of advertisement for Hawken outside of seeing it at E3 I think it was before Alpha had even started, and it didn't spread very far by word of mouth. I showed the game to a bunch of friends ~6 months ago and they absolutely loved it, I think a big step towards reviving Hawken would just be introducing more people to the game.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

The steam bs brought that playerbase, the severe lack of forward direction in development/stat point hamfist neutering/tiny amount of maps and gametypes killed it.

I didn't mind the pay stuff because it was cosmetics, unless I just didn't see something? The whole "unlock mech/weapon/etc with $/credits/exp" could use an over haul though. In-game credits were prohibitively hard to come by for the sake of playing and getting used to your gear first before upgrading. They did re-visit it, but it still isn't great.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

YellerBill posted:

One thing I think helped kill Hawken was a general lack of awareness of the game. I never once saw any kind of advertisement for Hawken outside of seeing it at E3 I think it was before Alpha had even started, and it didn't spread very far by word of mouth. I showed the game to a bunch of friends ~6 months ago and they absolutely loved it, I think a big step towards reviving Hawken would just be introducing more people to the game.

I think they were hoping for a more viral marketing type of thing, and it never really worked. Seems like most of the people that really tried to help move the name around just told their buddies that like that type of game.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Game needs CTF. Also goofy head replacements.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

The steam bs brought that playerbase, the severe lack of forward direction in development/stat point hamfist neutering/tiny amount of maps and gametypes killed it.

I didn't mind the pay stuff because it was cosmetics, unless I just didn't see something? The whole "unlock mech/weapon/etc with $/credits/exp" could use an over haul though. In-game credits were prohibitively hard to come by for the sake of playing and getting used to your gear first before upgrading. They did re-visit it, but it still isn't great.

That's what I mean by hamfisted - they really beat the player over the head with the incentive to pay rather than grind, and instead of just being "hey, save some time and pay us a few bucks for this mech" it became "pay us or grow old trying to get anywhere." Sure, everything paid-only was strictly cosmetic or time-saving in nature but god drat was it a korean-RPG level kick in the balls of a grind otherwise. On the upside, the recruit mech was solid as all hell so it wasn't a painful slog, just a long one.

I agree with the general lack of content, though. That will hopefully be resolved, and with good maps/mechs too. The design of both maps and mechs was really enthralling but I don't know if they're keeping that talent on board. I recall some gripes about the lead designer/concept creator exerting so much control over the game that it caused problems but I might be imagining that since I can't think of how that would be the case unless that individual was the content bottleneck.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

That's what I mean by hamfisted - they really beat the player over the head with the incentive to pay rather than grind, and instead of just being "hey, save some time and pay us a few bucks for this mech" it became "pay us or grow old trying to get anywhere." Sure, everything paid-only was strictly cosmetic or time-saving in nature but god drat was it a korean-RPG level kick in the balls of a grind otherwise. On the upside, the recruit mech was solid as all hell so it wasn't a painful slog, just a long one.

I agree with the general lack of content, though. That will hopefully be resolved, and with good maps/mechs too. The design of both maps and mechs was really enthralling but I don't know if they're keeping that talent on board. I recall some gripes about the lead designer/concept creator exerting so much control over the game that it caused problems but I might be imagining that since I can't think of how that would be the case unless that individual was the content bottleneck.

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. My apologies for lack of reading comprehension. I obviously agree with the progression issues, and you're correct in that that head guy would absolutely not budge on a lot of stuff. Most people will talk about how he hated lasers, but I would be surprised if it didn't go much deeper than that.

I do love the overall theme, the grittiness of it is a nice touch. More customization would be nice to have again for sure.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. My apologies for lack of reading comprehension. I obviously agree with the progression issues, and you're correct in that that head guy would absolutely not budge on a lot of stuff. Most people will talk about how he hated lasers, but I would be surprised if it didn't go much deeper than that.

I do love the overall theme, the grittiness of it is a nice touch. More customization would be nice to have again for sure.

No worries, I hope they keep that heroic-as-gently caress music. That's the kind of poo poo complimented by a slow stadium tunnel walkout while being showered in rose petals and the hopeful prayers of a beseiged people.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
My favorite thing about the steam release is that they forced people to buy in, then like a week later made it free. In what loving world does that make sense. It immediately lets potential customers that the marketing team had no loving clue what they were doing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

My favorite thing about the steam release is that they forced people to buy in, then like a week later made it free. In what loving world does that make sense. It immediately lets potential customers that the marketing team had no loving clue what they were doing.

That's... not remotely what happened?

They were very clear about the "buy-in" being "buy a thing you could normally buy and you will get access to the beta, because we want to restrict the amount of people who get access to it." It was in beta for about a month and a half before it came out properly and was available for people to download and play for free.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Everything about the steam release was poo poo. "Get rid of your current installation and download a whole new one, and then use this code, and then you don't actually have to use steam again unless etc etc" is functionally retarded. The buy-in was just :psyduck:

E: Because buying in to a steam beta (to help troubleshoot/bugfix) for a game that was already playable before some sweeping changes is a dumb money grab.

EE: What I'm saying is they made terrible decisions all around.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 16, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

Everything about the steam release was poo poo. "Get rid of your current installation and download a whole new one, and then use this code, and then you don't actually have to use steam again unless etc etc" is functionally retarded. The buy-in was just :psyduck:

E: Because buying in to a steam beta (to help troubleshoot/bugfix) for a game that was already playable before some sweeping changes is a dumb money grab.

EE: What I'm saying is they made terrible decisions all around.

They were really intent on monetizing every aspect they could get away with and making it grueling at best to play for free. Paid beta access is a thing many other companies do, but the difference is that they're typically doing it after building a track record and people have experience with the brand if not the game/series for which they're offering paid beta access. If they could just cut into that grind a bit it'd go a long way towards improving the game.

Unfortunately APB's free grind was awful (compared to the grind with paid boosts, which was just plain bad) when I played a few years ago, but unlike APB I have paid for Hawken and would pay again if the value's there. Currently I don't really want much in the way of new mechs and I doubt new maps/modes will be paid content, but what's the point of paying for boosts/premium if the difference in progression is clinical at best?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

They were really intent on monetizing every aspect they could get away with and making it grueling at best to play for free. Paid beta access is a thing many other companies do, but the difference is that they're typically doing it after building a track record and people have experience with the brand if not the game/series for which they're offering paid beta access. If they could just cut into that grind a bit it'd go a long way towards improving the game.

Unfortunately APB's free grind was awful (compared to the grind with paid boosts, which was just plain bad) when I played a few years ago, but unlike APB I have paid for Hawken and would pay again if the value's there. Currently I don't really want much in the way of new mechs and I doubt new maps/modes will be paid content, but what's the point of paying for boosts/premium if the difference in progression is clinical at best?

I paid for cosmetics, and that was after I had played a fair amount and thought that tossing a few bucks to the company would be nice, plus who doesn't want to play "prettiest corporate merc mech"?

That'd probably be the extent of what I'd be willing to pay for, plus I've got the 3 mechs I really liked fully fitted out anyway. Pretty sure the only game that is king poo poo of pulling stupid amounts of money from people consistently for microtrans poo poo is still SCO/Flysis/AirRivals/Ace Online/Whatever it gets called next. (SC doesn't count)

E: reworded

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 16, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

I paid for cosmetics, and that was after I had played a fair amount and thought that tossing a few bucks to the company would be nice, plus who doesn't want to play "prettiest corporate merc mech"?

That'd probably be the extent of what I'd be willing to pay for, plus I've got the 3 mechs I really liked fully fitted out anyway. Pretty sure the only game the consistently pulls money from people consistently for microtrans poo poo is still SCO/Flysis/AirRivals/Ace Online/Whatever it gets called next.

That blue elephant skin for the mech with the head shaped like a lumpy egg was pretty great-looking but the coolest (and least visible) stuff was the repair drones. You had motherfuckers that looked like goddamn robot squids floating around your mech.

Alas, I only paid for the Prosk pack, not much cosmetic stuff.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

FAUXTON posted:

That blue elephant skin for the mech with the head shaped like a lumpy egg was pretty great-looking but the coolest (and least visible) stuff was the repair drones. You had motherfuckers that looked like goddamn robot squids floating around your mech.

Alas, I only paid for the Prosk pack, not much cosmetic stuff.

I bought robosquid, laserdrone, and some booster rockets. I regret that they don't have trucknutz for my vanguard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PathAsc posted:

I bought robosquid, laserdrone, and some booster rockets. I regret that they don't have trucknutz for my vanguard.

I have the beta paint job which is :pcgaming: as gently caress, but no other cosmetic stuff because I prefer new guns.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

FAUXTON posted:

I have the beta paint job which is :pcgaming: as gently caress, but no other cosmetic stuff because I prefer new guns.

Alpha paint job's even better :smugdog:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YellerBill posted:

Alpha paint job's even better :smugdog:

You should post a screenshot of it, I've never seen it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What the hell, Hawken thread has posts in it? This is either really good news, or....

:reads:

yeah it's "or" in this case :smith:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

FAUXTON posted:

You should post a screenshot of it, I've never seen it.

(posting images from steam isn't image leeching, right?)

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
just remember, if we have no hope, we can't be disappointed.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Not sure what the new guys are going to do about cosmetics, mechs, maps and such. Though I do know there's a fair amount of mech and weapon models lying around that could be used. The Siege Tank was almost finished, and the Pusher was entering development, so there's stuff for that too. The fight club game mode and map can be finished, there's an alternate prestige weapon for the tech, there might be some camos lying around, as well as repair drones. A few mech models without mech classes attached... But past that it's going to all have to be made from scratch. Maybe they'll hire some old artists on to add to what they have.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Maybe they'll actually hire some real game devs :pwn:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

YellerBill posted:

I just missed out on alpha when I started playing. A sad day.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Not sure what the new guys are going to do about cosmetics, mechs, maps and such. Though I do know there's a fair amount of mech and weapon models lying around that could be used. The Siege Tank was almost finished, and the Pusher was entering development, so there's stuff for that too. The fight club game mode and map can be finished, there's an alternate prestige weapon for the tech, there might be some camos lying around, as well as repair drones. A few mech models without mech classes attached... But past that it's going to all have to be made from scratch. Maybe they'll hire some old artists on to add to what they have.

Things like this and I'm :allears: because I'd love to see what was being worked on.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Chard posted:

What the hell, Hawken thread has posts in it? This is either really good news, or....

I had the same reaction, but was expecting "service close, thank."

Glad it's not that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YellerBill posted:

Oh, I like that a lot. Shame I wasn't on board for the alpha :smith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I haven't played this in ages, though I clearly recall finally unlocking the air dodge part violently ramping up my KDR all while people loudly declared it was incredibly easy to hit air dodging people as I laughed and laughed at how clear this wasn't the case for my little berserker, as my KDR literally flipped from negative 2 to +2.33 in about a day, and my first quintuple domination soon after.

But no you guys, being able to air dodge 3-4 times on a full tank was totally trivial and only bads couldn't 360 noscope you out of the air

I did have a good chunk of fun. Big soft spot for the infiltrator, once I realized the cloak was useless except as a radar jammer (if I can easily see predator cloaked people, then clearly anyone else could right? :downs:),. I'm also glad I finally unlocked the pyromaniac mech in the end because wheeeee holding down the fire buttons forever :unsmith: I think, next to people who refused to go near the big missile silo to protect their KDR in their heavy mechs screaming at everyone else to get on the point was my second biggest annoyance. Next to how barely functional the autobalance was when I was playing. So many 2 vs 4 matches, and 4vs6 matches where even if I hit F8 to "volunteer" to balance the teams when I was on the bigger one, it wouldn't let me.

I do hope good things come for cool robots, even if I do need to take it easy on my hand right now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Section Z posted:

I haven't played this in ages, though I clearly recall finally unlocking the air dodge part violently ramping up my KDR all while people loudly declared it was incredibly easy to hit air dodging people as I laughed and laughed at how clear this wasn't the case for my little berserker, as my KDR literally flipped from negative 2 to +2.33 in about a day, and my first quintuple domination soon after.

But no you guys, being able to air dodge 3-4 times on a full tank was totally trivial and only bads couldn't 360 noscope you out of the air

I did have a good chunk of fun. Big soft spot for the infiltrator, once I realized the cloak was useless except as a radar jammer (if I can easily see predator cloaked people, then clearly anyone else could right? :downs:),. I'm also glad I finally unlocked the pyromaniac mech in the end because wheeeee holding down the fire buttons forever :unsmith: I think, next to people who refused to go near the big missile silo to protect their KDR in their heavy mechs screaming at everyone else to get on the point was my second biggest annoyance. Next to how barely functional the autobalance was when I was playing. So many 2 vs 4 matches, and 4vs6 matches where even if I hit F8 to "volunteer" to balance the teams when I was on the bigger one, it wouldn't let me.

I do hope good things come for cool robots, even if I do need to take it easy on my hand right now.

I'd love to see more people using the air dodge in the smaller mechs, because all I ever see is berserkers hovering trying to outmaneuver heavies on the ground and thinking going up+over will work (it doesn't)

I personally don't use it because I don't play anything that would use that style of play, but if I did that thing would be on there in a heartbeat. Mobility is key for a lot of stuff here.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

PathAsc posted:

I'd love to see more people using the air dodge in the smaller mechs, because all I ever see is berserkers hovering trying to outmaneuver heavies on the ground and thinking going up+over will work (it doesn't)

I personally don't use it because I don't play anything that would use that style of play, but if I did that thing would be on there in a heartbeat. Mobility is key for a lot of stuff here.

Next time I fire up the game I'm tempted to slap an air dodge on my Brawler just for the hell of it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I love the flak cannon and the corsair's shotgun setting on the raider specifically because it blows up light mechs trying to be airborne. Slap them around a bit, dash under them to make some distance, spin around as they land, hit the blitz button and come screaming in with both guns firing.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I need to just start leaving servers after doing well in a round, I think. I keep ending up on teams with the worst uncarryable shitheads courtesy of autobalance.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
God, the fundamentals of this game are still so good but it takes so long to get anything. I just hope that it gets more of a playerbase and a decent revamp.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Improbable Lobster posted:

God, the fundamentals of this game are still so good but it takes so long to get anything. I just hope that it gets more of a playerbase and a decent revamp.

exactly, there's so much good foundation to build on it'd be a drat shame to let it all go to waste now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Heads up to those who may be interested. Hawken's new producer, CapnJosh, has made a thread on the official forums asking for suggestions and feedback regarding some proposed changes that are being considered. The changes are limited in scope due to the level of access to functionality Reloaded has at this moment, but hey it's something. Basically: He's considering switching the starter mech from the CRT to the Assault, as well as give all players a pre-determined loadout of internals to help alleviate the perception of P2W, and to help newbies live a little longer.

Here's the thread in question: https://community.playhawken.com/topic/385-new-player-mech-and-loadout-options/

In order to log in, you use the same credentials as your Hawken account.

• Locked thread