Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
I've been wrecking butts in an Infiltrator. It is definitely the classiest robot. :wotwot:

Power Surger + Armor Fusor + Evasive Device internals are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh sweet downloading the patch now. I will send a friend request to everyone on the OP.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Totally had forgotten about this game.

Installed and played a match. I like the movement and shootiness. It definitely feels like a shooter with robots vs a robot shooter :) Score 700+ on my first game, more than doubling the person below me. Are the bullet projectile guns hitscan in this? Are the sniper rifles hitscan?

I've heard people say that the sharpshooter's secondary is a projectile, but it moves so fast that it hardly matters unless your ping is bad.

Add me if you're an Ausgoon, my username is codeorange.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Wow, glad I didn't buy any chassis stuff for my Fred, the elite Fred looks amazing in this. Also liking the changes they made to the tuning.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Hydraulics and Armor makes for an amazing combination when tuning mechs. Anyone else feel running around with more level 1 items and internals seems better than a few level 2 or 3 items.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

So, base overheat recovery time is 8 seconds for the Tech. Maxing cooling units cuts that down to 2.75 seconds. Given how often you WILL overheat as a Tech, I think it's better to put it into cooling units rather than heatsinks. Unless you want to cheese and buy a fuckton of Extinguishers.

As such, my Tech setup has changed a bit. Armor is down to 550, but the increased fragility hardly matters considering how many assists and kills you'll be pulling in. Considering how loving FAST the Tech is walking, you could probably drop the points from hydraulics back into 600 armor and not notice much difference.

Also, I am very glad to see tuning stats available as raw numbers.

-edit-

Dropped the heatsink points and a few hydraulics points and went back to 600 armor, almost no speed difference. This thing is a beast.

-another edit!-
Looks like every other mech can only get down to around 5.25 seconds with cooling units. Soo, Tech's super fast recovery time is broken as gently caress. You're back up and running faster than dumping heat via ability with the CR-T/Assault in an overheat situation.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 14, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is there any way to move the boost/armor bars back to the cockpit? It's really distracting that there's a HUD layered over the original HUD, and it doesn't feel like I'm in the cockpit of something anymore.

**like, it doesn't move around with the rest of the cockpit or look like a hologram or anything, it's very 2D and just sorta kills the immersion

Cheston fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 14, 2013

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Cheston posted:

Is there any way to move the boost/armor bars back to the cockpit? It's really distracting that there's a HUD layered over the original HUD, and it doesn't feel like I'm in the cockpit of something anymore.

Nope, but if it helps.. it's not actually in the cockpit. It's your visor.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Really loving the berserker class with its speed boost ability. Running circles around heavies is too much fun. :smugdog:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pseudophile posted:

Nope, but if it helps.. it's not actually in the cockpit. It's your visor.

Which, funnily enough, is exactly how visor HUDs work in the real world too. Funny how making things more realistic is immersion-breaking for some though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
So I tried this game out for the first time, just me and Fred, and I had a lot of fun. I even did way better than I expected coming into a new game. There was no stupid gimmicks I saw, no juggernaut players with vastly superior stuff, just dodge anything that looks scary and flank whatever looks the weirdest. I love my stupid TV monitor robot and look forward to playing with goons.

I'm Hypha in game, as the same here.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Hypha posted:

So I tried this game out for the first time, just me and Fred, and I had a lot of fun. I even did way better than I expected coming into a new game. There was no stupid gimmicks I saw, no juggernaut players with vastly superior stuff, just dodge anything that looks scary and flank whatever looks the weirdest. I love my stupid TV monitor robot and look forward to playing with goons.

I'm Hypha in game, as the same here.

Make no mistake, the Fred is tremendously powerful in the right hands. It has a great offensive balance on a middleground chassis, and it ends up being pretty modular. I've actually returned to the Fred even though I have it basically done just because of how much I like the play style.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I can't stop playing Tech. Run into someone, pop your ability and watch their health VANISH as you leech off of them like a robotic vampire. The Redox being amazing is just icing on the cake. Anyone you can't kill? Find a bodyguard and ride the assist train! It's impossible to *not* top the scoreboards as a Tech. Just stay away from anyone with a Vulcan or a Flak Cannon; I have never survived an encounter against people using those two weapons.

What internals/items are you guys running on your Techs?

So far I've got Armor Fuser/Evasive Device/Deflectors all MK.2 and an Item Replenisher/Repair Charge MK.1/Blockade MK.2. It helps me stay alive, aggressive, and I can shut down a choke point for a few moments. Once my level's high enough I'm definitely swapping in a Replinisher.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

sitchelin posted:

I can't stop playing Tech. Run into someone, pop your ability and watch their health VANISH as you leech off of them like a robotic vampire. The Redox being amazing is just icing on the cake. Anyone you can't kill? Find a bodyguard and ride the assist train! It's impossible to *not* top the scoreboards as a Tech. Just stay away from anyone with a Vulcan or a Flak Cannon; I have never survived an encounter against people using those two weapons.

What internals/items are you guys running on your Techs?

So far I've got Armor Fuser/Evasive Device/Deflectors all MK.2 and an Item Replenisher/Repair Charge MK.1/Blockade MK.2. It helps me stay alive, aggressive, and I can shut down a choke point for a few moments. Once my level's high enough I'm definitely swapping in a Replinisher.

Try my tech setup with the cooling units tuning. I run adv. armor fusor with replenisher, my items are mk.2 shield/emp.

I'm already getting hackusations of having a no heat cheat.

-edit- A lot of people forget the Redox has splash. Unfortunately it can also cause self damage.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 14, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a way to remove duplicate mechs from your garage roster? For some reason the game is awarding me mechs I have already purchased before so I have a lot of doubles now.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

keyframe posted:

Is there a way to remove duplicate mechs from your garage roster? For some reason the game is awarding me mechs I have already purchased before so I have a lot of doubles now.

Nope! There's a plan in place for them at some point, apparently.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

keyframe posted:

Really loving the berserker class with its speed boost ability. Running circles around heavies is too much fun. :smugdog:

Me too. Level 8 with a Rank 2 Beserker. Every tuning point has gone into air control so far. I move around so fast boosting and in the air that I can cross the map in no time at all. It's great in Team Deathmatch. I just find where my teammates are fighting and go flank around the enemy and pick off all the dudes running away to go repair. Rinse and repeat.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

SaucyLoggins posted:

Me too. Level 8 with a Rank 2 Beserker. Every tuning point has gone into air control so far. I move around so fast boosting and in the air that I can cross the map in no time at all. It's great in Team Deathmatch. I just find where my teammates are fighting and go flank around the enemy and pick off all the dudes running away to go repair. Rinse and repeat.

I think I am gonna respec and do that as well. Saw a guy use air boost to really good effect last match I was in.

Can you guys send a friend request to Keyframe in game. I would love to party up with goons.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Got home from work, was looking forward to playing a bit.. but I can't join any servers. Even quickmatch fails. :(

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009

Pseudophile posted:

Got home from work, was looking forward to playing a bit.. but I can't join any servers. Even quickmatch fails. :(

From the Launcher: "We are currently experiencing issues preventing players from accessing servers. We appreciate your patience as we investigate the problem."

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

TheQuad posted:

From the Launcher: "We are currently experiencing issues preventing players from accessing servers. We appreciate your patience as we investigate the problem."

Yeah, that changed a couple minutes after I posted.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

SaucyLoggins posted:

Am I missing something, I thought the Berserker had a damage boost ability?

Also, it's my favorite mech by far. The sharpshooter has been very frustrating-- way too easy to get my kills poached. Switched to the Berserker and immediately started having 20-1 games

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Razzled posted:

Am I missing something, I thought the Berserker had a damage boost ability?

Also, it's my favorite mech by far. The sharpshooter has been very frustrating-- way too easy to get my kills poached. Switched to the Berserker and immediately started having 20-1 games

It does have a damage boost ability which is great. But I'm talking about the tuning that you can do on Mechs. The Beserker has an Air Dynamics (said air control before but meant dynamics) tuning that increases the speed you move in the air. When you boost or dodge you're actually counted as being in the air. So you put a bunch of points put into Air Dynamics and you haul major rear end and hovering actually becomes really powerful instead of just making you a sitting duck to projectiles. It also allows you to get anywhere on the map in like 15 seconds. So if you see someone with low health try to duck out of a fight, you can flank them pretty quickly, take them out, and then boost away from the enemy cluster.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

drat, thanks to the improved tuning my Assault is the tankiest B-class that ever lived. :krad:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

SaucyLoggins posted:

It does have a damage boost ability which is great. But I'm talking about the tuning that you can do on Mechs. The Beserker has an Air Dynamics (said air control before but meant dynamics) tuning that increases the speed you move in the air. When you boost or dodge you're actually counted as being in the air. So you put a bunch of points put into Air Dynamics and you haul major rear end and hovering actually becomes really powerful instead of just making you a sitting duck to projectiles. It also allows you to get anywhere on the map in like 15 seconds. So if you see someone with low health try to duck out of a fight, you can flank them pretty quickly, take them out, and then boost away from the enemy cluster.

Good to know, thanks. Do you use the Vulcan on it? Is that gun as awesome as it sounds?

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Razzled posted:

Good to know, thanks. Do you use the Vulcan on it? Is that gun as awesome as it sounds?

Honestly I like the SMG on the Berserker better. I don't like taking on long engagements, so the Vulcan doesn't work for me because it has a spin up time. It also penalizes you when you boost or Dodge because you have to spin up again. I'd probably use the Vulcan on the Assault or Fred mechs though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wow enjoying this game a LOT. Tossed 15 bucks at the dev. Going to pick up some longer term HC/XP boosts. Did a 24 hours one last night followed by an insane grind session. Managed to pickup and infiltrator chasis and the raider which is my new all time favorite.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SaucyLoggins posted:

Honestly I like the SMG on the Berserker better. I don't like taking on long engagements, so the Vulcan doesn't work for me because it has a spin up time. It also penalizes you when you boost or Dodge because you have to spin up again. I'd probably use the Vulcan on the Assault or Fred mechs though.

I run the Vulcan on my Assault and I've never needed to re-spin after dodging. Are you sure you're not just taking your finger off the trigger?

Also the Vulcan is a great close-range weapon. The spin-up is minimal and you absolutely SHRED anything that gets too close.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

SaucyLoggins posted:

The Beserker has an Air Dynamics (said air control before but meant dynamics) tuning that increases the speed you move in the air. When you boost or dodge you're actually counted as being in the air. So you put a bunch of points put into Air Dynamics and you haul major rear end and hovering actually becomes really powerful instead of just making you a sitting duck to projectiles.

Really? Are you sure about that? That'd kinda make the boost thruster tuning meaningless.

Since I wasn't absolutely certain, I went ahead and tested in game, and no, Air Dynamics does not increase your boost or dodge speed. It does drastically increase your air speed, which is only taken into account while holding the space bar. (Or whatever you may have bound the jump button to.) Hovering is definitely a lot more useful of a strategy with air dynamics; without you're just a sitting duck. But you're not getting across the map any faster unless you're flying the entire time.

Razzled posted:

The vulcan is a pretty awesome gun! If you can get used to it it's a great close range damage dealer. Just don't try to tap click to keep it spun up like you would in other games with mini guns - it resets the spin up cooldown with every click. Dodging lets you keep firing, but if you boost forward you drop the gun and have to start spinning it again. SMC is also a good option if you like a simpler weapon and don't want to deal with a spin up mechanic. It has better range too, though it obviously doesn't have the same potential to do damage. Assault Rifle is great for longer range engagements since it's a lot more accurate and still does solid damage - pairs well with the air dynamics internal since the loss of accuracy due to flying isn't as painful.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Unlocked the assault rifle for the berserker but I think I will go back to the SMG since it seems to do way more damage thanks to fire rate.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm making an AHK script for the assault rifle because I read via googlefu that the assault rifle fires every time the mouse is clicked which would make rapid fire presses faster than holding down the mouse button. Can anyone corroborate this so I don't end up wasting my time?

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Razzled posted:

I'm making an AHK script for the assault rifle because I read via googlefu that the assault rifle fires every time the mouse is clicked which would make rapid fire presses faster than holding down the mouse button. Can anyone corroborate this so I don't end up wasting my time?

This was a bug that used to be in the game that was reported a while back where if fire was bound to the mouse wheel, the Assault Rifle and SMC fired with perfect accuracy at all ranges at a greater speed (Vulcan just constantly reset the spin up) - that's been patched out now, so you can't fire any faster than you would otherwise, and you'll just get a really annoying firing sound to go along with it.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 15, 2013

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

This was a bug that used to be in the game that was reported a while back where if fire was bound to the mouse wheel, it fired with perfect accuracy at all ranges at a greater speed - that's been patched out now, so you can't fire any faster than you would otherwise, and you'll just get a really annoying firing sound to go along with it.

Ah ok, lol. Well that solves that! Back to the SMG I guess

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Man, I have been really digging the brawler. I'm a big slow blob of hitpoints who always arrives last but you can really chew through people if you can get toe-to-toe. At first, I hated the flak cannon cause it has very little range. On maps like Last Eco, I will switch the the SA Hawken cause it is just too open. On urban settings though, especially that box at the top of Origin, I love the flak cannon. A lot of people are just happy to circle at incredibly close range till I club them into submission. The smart ones don't stick around and come back when I'm really busy. Is the vulcan a straight-up upgrade over the flak cannons in close range? I am sure as I get up in levels that people won't be as polite in accommodating me.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Hypha posted:

Man, I have been really digging the brawler. I'm a big slow blob of hitpoints who always arrives last but you can really chew through people if you can get toe-to-toe. At first, I hated the flak cannon cause it has very little range. On maps like Last Eco, I will switch the the SA Hawken cause it is just too open. On urban settings though, especially that box at the top of Origin, I love the flak cannon. A lot of people are just happy to circle at incredibly close range till I club them into submission. The smart ones don't stick around and come back when I'm really busy. Is the vulcan a straight-up upgrade over the flak cannons in close range? I am sure as I get up in levels that people won't be as polite in accommodating me.

Well, there aren't many career Brawler pilots out there who focus on the Vulcan, myself included. I adore the Flak and the Brawler (:kimchi:), it's great for peekaboo tactics and does really great damage per hit, whereas with Vulcan you're forced to stay exposed, rather than poking out to take your shots before retreating back to cover. However, I certainly don't want to dissuade you from the Vulcan if you're interested in trying it out! Vulcan does great close range damage, and can tear through opponents very quickly, and this latest patch has made Vulcan better than it was before. If you're interested, go ahead and try it out! Though it certainly isn't so clear cut as to say it's an improvement over the flak.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
I don't know if the vulcan would be good for the brawler, unless you're good at sticking close to opponents. It seems to move far too slow to get every shot in.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I can't seem to get the hang of the Vulcan. When people use it against me it seems to melt my armor instantly but when I use it I can barely see a advantage over the SMG. :smith:

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

keyframe posted:

I can't seem to get the hang of the Vulcan. When people use it against me it seems to melt my armor instantly but when I use it I can barely see a advantage over the SMG. :smith:

What i do is keep it spinning by pumping the trigger... then it's spitting bullets out without the startup

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Mr Man posted:

What i do is keep it spinning by pumping the trigger... then it's spitting bullets out without the startup

Except that doesn't work, tapping LMB resets your spoolup time.

The Vulcan takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it, but it's a lot of fun. The other automatics have benefits over it, but they're not as much fun.

Plus, it sounds like God is ripping a gigantic fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I decided to respec my berserker with lots of air dynamics, this thing is an angel of death. Someone called me a jet plane made out of biceps. Great game.

• Locked thread