Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I think I just saw a goon in a death match a minute ago.

I'm still terrible at this game but it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Yup. This is a fun game that deserves a liiiiittle more success than it's having so far.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I just started this game and right now I'm loving it! Super fun and I played like 5 or 6 games and dominated each one.

Right now all I have is my TV-bot. I've taken a look at a bunch of the other mechs. The Rocketeer looks nice. Are there any recommendations? Also, what's the best/fastest way for earning free-coins?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rocketeer is great for bursting poo poo down. EOC Repeater + Hellfire dumbfiring = dead mechs everywhere.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

It really seems like the move to steam had the opposite effect of what they were going for in the long run. I could be wrong, please tell me I am because I'd love for this game to evolve a bit more.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Uhh.. How did I get 500 MC all of a sudden?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You get 500 for free for doing a challenge/cheevo of some kind, I don't remember which one. It's a one-time thing.

edit: I think it's one of the 'play for x hours' ones? Maybe?

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Yeah, the 500 free mc is for playing an hour.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

This game is fun! Where is everybody?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's dying a slow death, just like all games in the blighted lands of F2P-topia, where every pubbie is terrible, every economy model is malicious and every patch is too little too late. :smith:

Just kidding, everyone's probably doing summer things instead of playing inside with their endearingly ugly stompy robots.

Yesterday, me and two non-goon buddies picked the game up. We were dropped into a missile assault game already underway, and of course our team was getting stomped. After a game of madly capping all the silos all the time everywhere at once, we won 10-0. :unsmigghh:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
So what is a good starter set up now days?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Fallorn posted:

So what is a good starter set up now days?

I haven't played in forever but it's pretty hard to go wrong with the assault rifle and a TOW.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I haven't played in a while, but:

FRED is still one of the best bots available, Assault is also very very good. The TOW missile is insanely powerful, mainly due to the remote-detonate ability; corners ain't poo poo once you get the hang of it. SMG is a good long-range tickler and I think you can also buy the Assault Rifle which may suit you better.

Internals are down to prefernce. I lean on the armor fusor a lot, it's very easy to get assists and those boost you up. Deflectors are good since you should basically always be boosting. The increased-absorption speed is also helpful, both for healing of fallen foes faster and sucking EU out of the trees (great way to get XP).

People will probably say Rocketeer too since it has homing but I personally hate it, it's best as area-denail IMO since that lock-on sound is terrifying. Even if you don't connect you can control a zone by pinging anyone who comes close.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

After playing Brawler and Gren so long.. the Cupcake feels like an A frame in comparison. Man, I wish it had something like the G2 Raider ability.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Pseudophile posted:

After playing Brawler and Gren so long.. the Cupcake feels like an A frame in comparison. Man, I wish it had something like the G2 Raider ability.

Cupcake is really drat fast. I think it's just as fast as a Technician, so yeah, I guess it feels like an A class for a good reason.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
How does this game compare to other stompy robot games (specifically MechWarrior Online)? I love stompy robots but actual good options for games are few and far between...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

How does this game compare to other stompy robot games (specifically MechWarrior Online)? I love stompy robots but actual good options for games are few and far between...

It's much closer to Phantom Crash/Steel Lancer Arena on the original Xbox/PS2, if you ever played those. There's a distinct feel of piloting a mech - plenty of inertia and weight - but it's still very much a fast action shooter rather than a sim.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

So it's been what, two months since the devs have put out any information?

When is the last time the free mech rotation changed?

Any clue why the US West servers disappeared at the same time that the amount of available servers on East was cut in half?

There are rarely games available for me anymore and the ones that are, are brutal stomps that aren't fun for anyone.

Game seems to be on it's last gasps.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Yeah, I basically gave up on it after it dropped below 1k players. The 24 hour peak was under 500. It seems like only the most die hard fans are still playing.

I feel like part of the reason they failed so hard was because they were making decisions like they had already made it big when they hadn't. Running before they could walk sort of thing. Also their way of monetizing the game was lovely. (they sort of started fixing it, but it was too little too late)

drat shame cause I loving LOVED the aesthetic of this game.

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 23, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hawken is an absolutely fantastic game that was ruined by a lovely F2P model and devs who couldn't/wouldn't put out appropriate content to keep it going.

I actually just reinstalled it again for the first time in almost a year and had a blast for a few rounds, the core gameplay really is both unique and legit good, but everything surrounding that killed it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

People used to do the whole "gg" thing after a round at least, now everyone hates my mother

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I remember reading about this game. It fell off my radar until showing up on the new personalized steam storefront yesterday and I gave it a shot. I really enjoyed my first few matches and love the look and feel of the game. Its kind of a bummer reading all this doom and gloom after discovering something I could probably spend a lot of time and some money with. I hope they manage to turn it around somehow.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Naw it's pretty much toast. They blew their chance at making it popular with their awful F2P model and really really mediocre updates.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
They had an opportunity to get a load of funding and publicity from Curse in exchange for accurate weapon and item data. They said no. loving idiots

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
This was the best mech game of the last several years. What a waste :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's really too bad. Hopefully it's revitalized at some point but barring a big overhaul and a lot more content I don't see it getting out of this slump.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

more like dICK posted:

This was the best mech game of the last several years. What a waste :(

Hey man it's cool; we could all just move over to MWO :spergin:. On the real I cannot believe that their has been nothing done developementally since I've quit; how loving hard is it to implement some kind of organization/faction system?

Also I hopped in today after a 2-3 month hiatus:

Still got it. :pervert:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lokee posted:

Hey man it's cool; we could all just move over to MWO :spergin:. On the real I cannot believe that their has been nothing done developementally since I've quit; how loving hard is it to implement some kind of organization/faction system?

Also I hopped in today after a 2-3 month hiatus:

Still got it. :pervert:

Good poo poo. Been stomping pubbies since I got my machine out of mothballs this week, and it's just as fun as ever. Not going to get my hopes up though, which is sad because I looked forward to this game coming out for a long time. Seeing it flop so hard is just sad.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Reinstalled as well. At least I can still stomp people out there. Agreed that this is a great game that was wasted by poor support.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hawken is one of those games that I never uninstall but I also never want to fire up. If someone more motivated organized Goon Robot Smash Night that would be cool tho

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd be down for said events, as long as it's possible given the abysmally small playerbase.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The player base is roughly the same size that it was months ago, maybe a little bit smaller. Though after us west (I think) went down for a little while, a ton of players migrated to us east and stayed there for some reason.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm west coast born and bred and I always played US East just because it was the only chance of good matches :shrug:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Yeah, traditionally east had better players for some reason. :iiam:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Yeah, traditionally east had better players for some reason. :iiam:

I seem to remember the East Coast servers being slightly better for me as far as latency was concerned, and normally I play on West Coast servers whenever possible in other games. I know it's more to do with the routing more often than not, but I was consistently having better connection to the East Coast for Hawken. I'm sure there's many reasons possible, but eh. I just want this game to come back around to the limelight again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Welp: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-16-people-behind-apb-reloaded-buy-hawken

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I don't know much about APB Reloaded-- what's the story with it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YellerBill posted:

It was a promising game that imploded and turned to poo poo after going F2P courtesy of Reloaded. Maybe they learned something from it and maybe Hawken's gameplay will be more accommodating to the change, but generally the expectation is "it's going to become a pile of poo poo."

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

For what little it's probably worth - some of the APB players sat in on the stream that the new producer was doing the other day, and said they came out feeling optimistic.

Of course, that's like two days into the company running the game, and they're still only going through the documents and poo poo left behind at this point, so this can turn out in any number of ways. Many of those ways pointing towards what happened with games like APB. So yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

welp is an understatement, but I guess I can be cautiously optimistic? I planned on playing stompy robots some more this weekend too.

YellerBill posted:

it was bumblefucked by the company, additionally apb reloaded is published by gamersfirst which isn't exactly known for being super great at anything. like taikodom, a space shooty game, that could've been good was dropped on it's head. don't be surprised if some terrible non-cosmetic microtrans poo poo gets added.

gently caress if I'm not disappointed by this.

• Locked thread