Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Just saw this and hey, I actually liked it. I'm sure my opinion would be different if I had actually seen the original :v: but I really cannot handle blood and gore, which I have heard the movie features heavily.

The guy playing Murphy in this was not the best actor, and some of the sfx were a little ehhhh, but overall I think this was pretty decent. I genuinely felt something when Murphy saw what was left of his body and his first reaction was "oh dear god, kill me". I also thought they did a good job making RoboCop seem intimidating- the suit and the sounds he made were well done, and in the action scenes he moved just robotically enough that it looked alien and frightening without going into bad cgi territory.

Holy crap though this movie was not subtle. They should have just had the actors hold up signs with "I AM BILL O'REILLY" and "I AM STEVE JOBS" on them, it would have been about as blunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

It's on my todo list, really- I know it's a good film. My watch list is getting massive, though; a trekkie friend is planning on making me watch all the old movies so I can know how bad the new ones are. :rolleyes:

Really, though, with remakes my philosophy is to treat the new ones as completely separate entities. I find it helps me enjoy more films, and even if they suck, it's not like the old movie is gone. Just pretend this new movie isn't RoboCop if it makes you feel better. :v:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

If that's all it takes to shock you, my movie history would put y'all into comas: The only Terminator movie I've seen is Salvation. I've never seen Goonies or The Sound of Music or Back to the Future or the first two Indiana Jones'- pick a beloved classic, I probably haven't seen it. Most of my life I've had no interest in movies; it's only now that I'm starting to get into them a bit at a time. I'm probably the lowest common denominator.

But come on now, this wasn't that bad of a movie. Not amazing, and I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to the original, but I still liked it.

Edit: I do solemnly swear not to post in CineD again until I have seen the original RoboCop.

• Locked thread