Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I think you could go a long way with SFX that were about collateral damage, creating fires, chain reactions, or

You might make a set of standard Complications for police/rival gang hostility that step up with various actions. Alternately you could use them as Timers when you're in areas controlled by other factions - you have to actively do something to deal with them or they'll continue to escalate.

This is a good OP. I tried to start a Smallville thread a while back but it sank because nobody but me thinks it's maybe the best RPG of the last 10 years. I wrote a little bit for the Watchtower Report, it was fun. I'll link some Smallville resources later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
"Discstinctions" is a typo that should be preserved - make everyone write them in the form of album names.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
So I was at RinCon this weekend and I got to see Mark Truman run Firefly, which is upcoming in Cortex and it's pretty fuckin' amazing.

It does incorporate a little bit from pre-+ Cortex in the form of skills, but maintains the awesome give and take of Smallville and Marvel action orders and stress.

I then got to chat with Mark over how it's going since he crashed at my place (yeah I am a namedropper.) The team working on it really sounds like they get what Cortex+ is about big-time.

Mark is a huge Apocalypse World fan/nerd so if you want to see what kind of ideas may be making their way into the GMing sections of Firefly, definitely check it out (along with Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, etc.)

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Yeah...it's interesting because it's the first implementation that I've seen since Serenity/Cortex Minus that returns to using a skillset.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
It's definitely way less granular. I didn't get a chance to look at a comprehensive list or anything but the series characters seemed fully fleshed out without having s bunch to sift through.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Yeah, don't know where the weird rumor that you can't make your own guy came from. It seems to persist, though, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Actually try out a character with all d12s sometime. Put them in a team with normal characters and put them up against normal opposition and see what happens.

It is off balance, and not that fun, but it is not as far off balance as you might think. Don't just pretend you know what will happen.

Or, just pull Thor and Kitty Pryde and see how that goes. The existing characters are indeed made with the "eyeball it!" method. They were made exactly as you will make your characters - with a basic concept and eyeballing the die types. If you like the existing characters, you like the method in the book.

edit: spellins

JDCorley fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread