Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I still have yet to watch the finale from last season due to... well, the obvious reason. I know what happens but not sure I want to sit through the eventual angst and drama over Damon being "on the other side" with Bonnie.

I figure I'll let the show skip along for a few episodes and see how long it takes to resolve itself. Hopefully soon!

BTW - I was watching Legally Blonde the other night and I didn't know that Alaric was the love interest for Elle Woods. Too funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Remember when Elena used to be a great lead (for a show about vampires)?

Turning her into a vampire, having her fall for Damon and the incredible stupidity that resulted from those things has hurt the show a great deal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Shakugan posted:

Remember when Elena used to be a great lead (for a show about vampires)?

Turning her into a vampire, having her fall for Damon and the incredible stupidity that resulted from those things has hurt the show a great deal.

Every aspect of the show has suffered. Death used to mean something, characters used to talk instead of keeping secrets, they used to have the illusion of agency. I hope this is the last season as its rumoured to be, but it won't be, they would've made a bigger fuss if it was.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Every aspect of the show has suffered. Death used to mean something, characters used to talk instead of keeping secrets, they used to have the illusion of agency. I hope this is the last season as its rumoured to be, but it won't be, they would've made a bigger fuss if it was.

Yeah, this used to be a show where we would say things like "isn't it refreshing how they act like real people?". But the changes to the way characters are behaving, to Elenas character in particular (e.g. making her be totally cool with Damon having continued to kill innocents despite "having his humanity on" and doing so whenever he gets slightly annoyed at relationship drama), have just destroyed that.

I'm also really annoyed that they didn't used last season to get rid of the other side and resurrections for good. Like, they are talking as if it still exists.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I actually enjoyed the premiere of VD, though. I mean, I'm still mourning Elena as a proactive character with grit and whatnot, but I really liked everything else about it--everyone split up into their own private hellholes in interesting ways that tell us about their character instead of just, you know, random plot. I like that the new situation threw everyone's flaws into a nice sharp relief and kind of brought us full circle to earlier seasons. Elena's still incapable of dealing with grief constructively, Caroline's still desperately trying to be the glue that holds everyone together, Jeremy's still trying to overcome terrible apathy and Tyler, rage issues, Alaric's holding onto any sense of maturity and self by a thread and a thermos of a substance to abuse, and Stefan's taken the tried and true method of completely severing ties and starting over with a new ~true love~ who will probably react terribly when she learns exactly what his deal is. Matt is still the best ever. I even like the two new witches like 300% better than Bonnie. Maybe Damon and Bonnie will stay in one tiny room the whole season snarking at each other and making pancakes and it will be perfect again.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, I was surprised at how much I didn't hate this episode, considering how the tail end of S5 meandered into an incomprehensible mess.

It still really bothers me how Elena seems to be a pale shadow of herself as a human before she was defined by her relationships with the Salvatore brothers. It's like she barely knows who she is without a Stefan or Damon at her side anymore.

Can we give the cute gay witch a love interest? It's not like Tyler's really doing anything on the show at the moment. C'mon TVD. Throw us a bone.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

My gf makes me watch this show (i-it's not like I would watch it on my own, b-baka!), and it REALLY suffers from not following the 'show don't tell' principle. Every character, it seems, has a premeditated monologue in store about how he or she feels and what a sad tragedy this whole life is. Plus, I'm sick of having characters have phone conversations, it always makes a very dull and boring scene with unimaginative editing. The main problem for me, though, is pacing: the whole plotline of Elena drinking voodoo juice to see her dead beloved, her getting side effects and conveniently having a catharsis by the end of the episode is just too much plot in too little time. We didn't need to see Damon and Bonnie so soon, just let us have first few episodes without them so we could actually relate to the characters when they say they miss them. And Jesus Christ am I tired of parties. All they do, literally all they do in their college is having parties. (Well, that's what they did in school, anyway, so no change there, I guess.)

It makes me sad because I actually admire the screenwriters' ability to weave several unrelated plotlines into one (seemingly) coherent plotline. The wide array of characters is used, some of them even have agenda now and then, and I just wish the creators of this show would try to right their wrongs.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

PiedPiper posted:

It makes me sad because I actually admire the screenwriters' ability to weave several unrelated plotlines into one (seemingly) coherent plotline. The wide array of characters is used, some of them even have agenda now and then, and I just wish the creators of this show would try to right their wrongs.

This for me as well. This show so inconsistent and irritating, because when they get it right, they REALLY get it right. There are episodes and arcs that could easily be considered among the top of network television.

But then they squander it away with some ginned up angsty poo poo.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PiedPiper posted:

the whole plotline of Elena drinking voodoo juice to see her dead beloved, her getting side effects and conveniently having a catharsis by the end of the episode is just too much plot in too little time.

On any other show this would be stretched out into a few episodes with the A plot being thematically reflective on Elena's grief. But it's TVD and we got to get this poo poo on the road cause we need to burn through 3 seasons worth of villains and cliffhangers in one. Besides, we know no one's ever really dead. Why does anyone ever grieve when it's such a revolving door? They'll be back in one form or another in a few days/years.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

hope and vaseline posted:

Besides, we know no one's ever really dead.
Yeah, it's basically Dragonball now.

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal
A relationship is going to develop with Caroline and Tyler within the next couple episodes..predicting this!

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Has anyone watched the new Originals yet? Is josh still in it?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Andrew_1985 posted:

Has anyone watched the new Originals yet? Is josh still in it?

Yes and yes. :)

I thought it was a pretty good premier.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They possibly picked the worst actress with the flattest delivery to play Esther. But this season seems to be shaping up to be pretty fun as the Originals get back together! (To counterbalance that, they got the best actor to play Kol's new body. Daniel Sharman can pull off that smarmy british charm and snark reaaaaaally well.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They possibly picked the worst actress with the flattest delivery to play Esther. But this season seems to be shaping up to be pretty fun as the Originals get back together! (To counterbalance that, they got the best actor to play Kol's new body. Daniel Sharman can pull off that smarmy british charm and snark reaaaaaally well.)

I've really lost track of the Originals, why is Kol back and why does he need a new body?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I've really lost track of the Originals, why is Kol back and why does he need a new body?

As part of the harvest ritual, they consecrated Esther's bones in New Orleans to transfer her power into an elder (Sophie before Celeste hijacked the spell to resurrect herself and other powerful witches). Esther's magic is now essentially ancestral magic anchored in New Orleans. Now with the other side breaking down over in Mystic Falls, she must have found some loophole to escape and resurrect in New Orleans grounds and taking her other two dead sons with her. Last we saw Kol he was in the Other Side before getting whisked away as he warns Matt that poo poo is going down in that realm.

This poo poo makes my head hurt.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
I really liked original Kol, so I'm not happy about him being replaced. I know the actor was part of that horrible Supernatural spinoff that got killed right after the backdoor pilot, but I think he's free now so I'm hoping he comes back eventually.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

aBagorn posted:

This for me as well. This show so inconsistent and irritating, because when they get it right, they REALLY get it right. There are episodes and arcs that could easily be considered among the top of network television.

But then they squander it away with some ginned up angsty poo poo.

Yeah it really is very frustrating at this point. This might sound mean, but I sometimes wonder if certain shows might not benefit from just dumping their writers four or five seasons in and going with a whole new creative team with fresh ideas. It's clear the passion is not there anymore whatsoever- like not even remotely. The characters developed so wonderfully up to the last third of S3 and then... poof! Everyone became stuck in a rut doing the same things over and over and over again and falling prey to past mistakes endlessly. Elena has become even worse than Katherine for the Salvatore brothers at this point. She's just toxic and they should ditch her as soon as humanly possible. At least Katherine was honest about who she was. Elena hides behind sanctimony and tries to put herself off to be this innocent, sweet girl that she simply isn't and hasn't been for a while now.

The CW really needs to end this one and fill the slot with another teen supernatural type show.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 9, 2014

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

(To counterbalance that, they got the best actor to play Kol's new body. Daniel Sharman can pull off that smarmy british charm and snark reaaaaaally well.)

Esther called him Finn. I'm fairly sure its not Kol, but Finn the brother who was right with Esther on the 'kill my entire family' plan.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Yeroc2 posted:

Esther called him Finn. I'm fairly sure its not Kol, but Finn the brother who was right with Esther on the 'kill my entire family' plan.

It's both of them. The black guy is Finn and the cutie from Teen Wolf is Kol.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

KilGrey posted:

It's both of them. The black guy is Finn and the cutie from Teen Wolf is Kol.

Obligatory :argh: to CW for having a marginally larger budget than MTV on that one, alas.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Woah that Vampire death truck was really hosed up. Vampire Diaries isn't very good. Elena is still insufferable.

As for the Originals, Cami, Josh and Davina are all interesting. The werewolves were swiftly disposed of too. I wonder if we will have much Rebekah this season?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Andrew_1985 posted:

Vampire Diaries isn't very good.

I'm only really watching for Enzo at this point. And Alaric, but I don't have much faith that he'll have an actual storyline this season.

Oh god, we have to relive Elena and Damons moments together? This is my personal hell.

edit: i love enzo

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 10, 2014

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I was trying to think of who would be stuck in this weird sort of purgatory/afterlife with Damon & Bonnie, and my fiancee suggested it's Katherine, which now that I think about it - I really hope it is since she's the superior Dobrevite. She also is the type to keep her distance but play games at the same time. It could be that she's been trapped there with them because doppelganger blood is the key to escape.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Finally caught up with Vampire Diaries. Gaaaaaaah. I'm already in pain over the impending Elena/Damon drama when he comes back and she can't remember.

I wish the show was just Caroline and Enzo road-tripping and harassing Stephan. Alaric can stay too.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

KilGrey posted:

I wish the show was just Caroline and Enzo road-tripping and harassing Stephan. Alaric can stay too.
Occasionally, there will also be scenes of Jeremy being a typical couch potato and Matt cleaning his poo poo after him. Laugh track included.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

I thought Damon was necking a bottle of maple syrup and am almost sad it was just his usual whiskey.

Pissy impatient Enzo forever.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Something just occurred to me, weren't Hunters created by witch magic? How can Jeremy still be in town?

Ela
Jan 10, 2011

KilGrey posted:

Something just occurred to me, weren't Hunters created by witch magic? How can Jeremy still be in town?

This was getting to me too, but in the last episode he did argue that he's stripped of his 'magic' when he enters town, so he's not a hunter within the border. I guess he was made by witch magic but he was still human pre-magic? Therefore after being stripped of it he would still be alive. Or something? Who knows. Mystic Falls is now Storybrookes opposite.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I hate to admit this but Bonnie is annoyingly bearable being stuck with her least favorite person. It's weird not hating her.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
^
This.

Also, I love this Stephan.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I hate to admit this but Bonnie is annoyingly bearable being stuck with her least favorite person. It's weird not hating her.

It's because she actually has something to do now. She and Damon play off each other really well, too. Also, I love the short bobbed hair cut. I hope when they get back from the Otherside they don't start writing her like crap again.

Kitiara posted:

Also, I love this Stephan.

I'm not a fan. I'm sick if sad sack Stefan, have been for awhile. He and Sam Winchester need to start a sad sack, "I only looked for my brother for 5 minutes before giving up to live a normal life" support group.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

KilGrey posted:

It's because she actually has something to do now. She and Damon play off each other really well, too. Also, I love the short bobbed hair cut. I hope when they get back from the Otherside they don't start writing her like crap again.

This is why first season Bonnie was best season Bonnie--she had stuff to do re: her family, and frequently played off the Salvatores as the friendly, principled antagonist. After that's she's just the godmode player who occasionally gets bullied into doing something she doesn't want to by Elena. :doh: I'm pretty happy about the new turn of events, too.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So that was actually a pretty good episode! I'm digging this slower paced, more introspective season (same thing that Supernatural seems to be doing). This is the longest they've taken actually examining the effects of seemingly losing a loved one. I love that they're digging back into Stefan and Damon's roots in mystic falls (I seriously thought the writers had forgotten about Zach). The best thing the show is doing right now is separating Damon and Elena as people and re-defining them sans relationship. It's always been hard to reconcile Damon the reluctant good guy and Damon the serial killer and we're actually getting now that Damon himself has a hard time with it, and does unconsciously punish himself for his actions. And Elena, well I find myself surprised at how much agency she has in a compulsion situation which is usually about the loss of agency. More power to Elena's second start. Maybe we can get back to a more balanced character that isn't defined by her pining for a Salvatore brother.

KilGrey posted:

I'm not a fan. I'm sick if sad sack Stefan, have been for awhile. He and Sam Winchester need to start a sad sack, "I only looked for my brother for 5 minutes before giving up to live a normal life" support group.

Dean and Damon would make fantastic drinking buddies.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 24, 2014

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dean and Damon would make fantastic drinking buddies.

I think they're so similar that they'd be so profoundly irritated by one another's flaws, they'd start looking for excuses to kill each other.

Which would rule.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Double-posting to say I also really like the thoughtful pause they're taking here, too. I like that they're addressing the emotional fallout of the last few seasons on the characters instead of just sort of expositioning it away or ignoring it completely. Stefan's blowup at Elena and the little scenes between Damon and Bonnie were perfect this week.

I also like that they left it pretty much in Elena's hands, whether she wants her memories back or not. You know eventually she'll do it, but I'm intrigued to see how she makes a space for herself without Damon or Stefan before that happens.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

atomicgeek posted:

I also like that they left it pretty much in Elena's hands, whether she wants her memories back or not. You know eventually she'll do it, but I'm intrigued to see how she makes a space for herself without Damon or Stefan before that happens.

I like that she found our about it before Damon comes back, but it still just going to be more Damon and Elena relationship drama. I wish they'd just let them be together and move on to other plot things. At least for a season.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Originals continues to be really entertaining television. That is all.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

And I just got through last thursday's TVD and this season is still getting better. The main theme seems to be re-humanizing the cast away from their characterization of the past two or three seasons. For the first time in maybe the whole series, Bonnie is acting under her own power and influence, making smart decisions, and not being a walking plot device (granted the tension of the whole eclipse scene wasn't as effective since they can't die in that realm). Compulsion as a whole seems to be acting wonky as humans who wander into Mystic Falls are cleared of it (and there's still the lingering mystery of why Alaric's ladydoctor resisted it) so we have a major removal of an agency-reducing plot device. Characters are having to resort to good ol fashioned medical know-how to treat injuries! Tyler/Liv's storyline is actually remarkably powerful! And their inevitable romantic entanglement will actually be coming from a really human bond of understanding and sacrifice! What show is this I'm watching again?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I didn't catch up with the current season until now, because to tell you the truth, I wasn't really looking forward to this season and was ready to drop the show, but they've surprised me this season. It's like they hired a whole new writing team that threw out everything and started from scratch. I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's episode for the first time in at least 2 seasons.

Also, I like that they're using '90s era song titles for the episode titles this season. Have they used song titles in past seasons? Or am I thinking of True Blood?

• Locked thread