Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Good lord, who dressed Caviezel like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That's from last comicon, and its missing the fact that Kevin Chapman's face is stitched onto the back and has FUSCO IS WATCHING in big letters.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I just want to point something out. In every interview they've had, Jonah Nolan and Greg Plageman come off as two people who are perfectly in sync. So if Nolan had to step away or split his time, it doesn't sound like the show would suffer too much in his absence.

Got that? Good, because there's movement on Nolan's Westworld adaptation for HBO and hooooooooooooo boy has it moved.

quote:

Anthony Hopkins and Evan Rachel Wood are saddling up for "Westworld."

The Oscar-winning "Silence of the Lambs" actor has signed on to star in HBO's TV adaptation of the 1973 sci-fi film, effectively taking on his first (prospective) series regular role, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Joining him is "Charlie Countryman" star Evan Rachel Wood, who previously collaborated with the network on both "True Blood" and the 2011 miniseries "Mildred Pierce."

Described as a "dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin," the J.J. Abrams-produced series was "inspired by" the original film, which centered on a futuristic theme park that gave wealthy adults the opportunity to live out their Wild West fantasies (or any fantasies, really) with the help of artificially-intelligent robots.

Hopkins will star in the pilot as Dr. Robert Ford, the "brilliant, taciturn and complicated creative director, chief programmer and chairman of the board" who has "unorthodox" methods for achieving his creative vision. Wood, meanwhile, will play Dolores Abernathy, the "quintessential farm girl of the frontier West" who comes to realize that her entire existence is a lie. The pilot episode [will be] directed and executive-produced by Jonathan Nolan ("Person of Interest"), who also co-wrote the script with "Burn Notice" and "Pushing Daisies" scribe Lisa Joy [who is Nolan's wife, if I remember correctly].

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not only am I now excited for Westworld, I also learned that Burn Notice and Pushing Daisies shared a writer!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Makes the fact that Jonah will not be at the comicon panel a lot less surprising. I have complete faith in Greg Plageman though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I suspect Lisa Joy will end up being showrunner of that and Jonah is just giving it an Abrams-style "push-off."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Plageman is already the EP that does day-to-day (which is the showrunner) on POI. Obviously Jonathan Nolan still probably puts a bunch of work into these projects though so I'm interested to see where those go. This I say, as I check and noticed Johnathan Nolan actually hadn't penned anything for season 3.

Someone will have to educate me on Abrams though, I know he's co-created a few of the series that Bad Robot owns, but not sure how much influence he actually had them further in.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Abrams will often times write for the pilot and maybe a few more early episodes for the shows he co-creates/produces and then hand off the show and not have any day to day oversight. Alias, Lost, and Fringe are all examples of this (though he does have writing credits on a few later Alias episodes).

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I'm pretty sure that Abrams wrote more episodes of Felicity than any other TV show he's co-created.

Which is hilarious.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Comicon panel tomorrow! Remember how they had that great poster that inspired this season's thread title last year?

Here's this year's poster, made by Mondo:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RIP broken window

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Comicon panel is tonight! There's most definitely going to be a sizzle trailer for Season 4, and maybe there will be other cool stuff!

Sadly I'm going out tonight so I won't be around until that stuff is already out there, so somebody feel free to post all that stuff in the thread if I haven't already.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I got back just in time to post this Sizzle Reel for Season 4!

Things to get loving hype about :

-ELIAS!
-Reese as a cop! Shaw and Root as Beauticians! Finch as a teacher!
-Shady (probably) Decima assassin lady played by Cara Buono!
-Terminator Reese! Sniper Shaw!

I'll post the panel as soon as I find a good version of it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Ok that sizzle reel was loving fantastic. I don't think it really explained how this season is supposed to work, but I'm intrigued.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Oh man, this is going to be awesome.

Also, I only just noticed that Samaritan's user interface looks like the Spritz speed-reading application.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Interview with Greg Plageman and Jim Caviziel.

Jim is surprisingly expressive and passionate about the show in this one, it's a good watch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That sizzle reel... oh gently caress.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Biggest thing out of that interview is Library isn't coming back, but there's gonna be a new base of operations and Jim Caviziel says its pretty awesome.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Root counting Bear as the 6th member of the team was sweet.

So excited for the return of this show!!!

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 27, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

More Wire alumni? I swear that quick cut in the sizzle reel was Marlo.

edit: panel liveblog! http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2014/07/26/person-of-interest-at-comic-con-live-blog/

quote:

6:42 PM: When a fan says she’s “too short,” Shahi quickly corrects her that she’s “fun-size.”
:heysexy:

quote:

6:44 PM: Shahi says she’s been pitching Shaw getting her head shaved on camera. She also jokes she wants a robotic arm.
:stare:

Sober fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 27, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yup, Jamie Hector has been cast in a recurring role, probably to do with Elias.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sober posted:

6:44 PM: Shahi says she’s been pitching Shaw getting her head shaved on camera. She also jokes she wants a robotic arm.

I'm totally on board with Shaw becoming Arsenal.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Digital Jedi posted:

Root counting Bear as the 6th member of the team was sweet.

So excited for the return of this show!!!

You're goddamn right you count the dog. :3:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Also from the sound of things our speculation was for naught because Jonah Nolan ended up attending the panel anyway. The SDCC program also listed that Emerson wouldnt be there but he ended up making it, they may have been left out of the program because they weren't sure if they would have the time.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Our ladies do look mighty fine there. :3:

Cara Buono will have some hard selling to do as far as I'm concerned, as her character on Mad Men seriously grated on me with her as the actress. From the previews, she seems to be doing better this time around, though.

Harold really wants to quit, doesn't he? Here comes Root, previous torturer now saviour. Go Root! :black101:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Panel is up on the PoI Youtube channel! It's in parts so I will link them in order.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Just to get everyone started...

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Sober posted:

Just to get everyone started...

Amy is so good as appearing interested in Shaw, she cracks me up big time

We don't even know where Root stands in terms of sexuality, so for what we know it might just be a show game to destabilize the tough Shaw. Loving it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Pilli posted:

We don't even know where Root stands in terms of sexuality, so for what we know it might just be a show game to destabilize the tough Shaw. Loving it.

I'm actually really curious if Root is just gay. At first I thought it was just Root messing with her, but at one point I wondered if she was legitimately flirting.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Pilli posted:

I believe in one machine-view screenshot we saw the machine guessing at certain characters fates, eg. chance of imminent death, and I believe Root had like a 2.6% chance of entering a romantic relationship or something like that. That could mean so many things, but it makes me wonder if she flirts for fun but doesn't really have much interest in actually having sex with anyone.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Given Root's actual backstory, it's more likely that Shaw is Root's surrogate for her friend Hannah, which is why she's so protective of her.

Or if you really wanna :can: you could say that Hannah was Root's first lesbian crush.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

V-Men posted:

I'm actually really curious if Root is just gay. At first I thought it was just Root messing with her, but at one point I wondered if she was legitimately flirting.
It would certainly make sense, at least, given her... complicated relationship with the Machine. I mean, a default narrative would probably just immediately lean on going with the classic "Machine is literally God" angle that (being aimed at an American audience) would be treated with male pronouns and whatnot. But Root specifically idolizes the Machine as a 'she', so there's quite a bit you could potentially read into that since it is entirely in Root's head. I'd put my money on it being an extension of some inner narcissism (where of coursethe Machine is a woman, because it makes it and Root similar), but there's an argument to be made for Root identifying the Machine as a woman out of some sexualized projection mixed with reverent worship.

This show is weird, y'all. :v:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Pilli posted:

I always saw it as Root trying to push Shaw's buttons the way she does everybody else's. She tries to connect with Shaw beyond a professional level since Shaw's emotionally stunted and so doesn't know how to react.

She's constantly teasing her special relationship with the machine in front of Harold, she's dismissive of Reese and his abilities and she deliberately uses her 'machine given knowledge' to annoy Fusco.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
In the Comic Con Panel, Acker flat out says Root's playing it that way to push Shaw's buttons and get her to loosen up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What about Leon?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man, Jim is really bad at this thing. He answers like a politician who forgot his teleprompter.

e: Haha the Passion question and the reaction.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 30, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Jim is super shy and introverted so he's super bad at these things. He did pretty well in the smaller interview I posted earlier.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Title of the first episode of next season has been released...Panopticon That gave me a really good bad feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Today in creepy surveillance news from the real world (from an interview Snowden did with Wired), that made me think of PoI.

The whole interview is worth a read.

quote:

The massive surveillance effort was bad enough, but Snowden was even more disturbed to discover a new, Strangelovian cyberwarfare program in the works, codenamed MonsterMind. The program, disclosed here for the first time, would automate the process of hunting for the beginnings of a foreign cyberattack. Software would constantly be on the lookout for traffic patterns indicating known or suspected attacks. When it detected an attack, MonsterMind would automatically block it from entering the country—a “kill” in cyber terminology.

Programs like this had existed for decades, but MonsterMind software would add a unique new capability: Instead of simply detecting and killing the malware at the point of entry, MonsterMind would automatically fire back, with no human involvement. That's a problem, Snowden says, because the initial attacks are often routed through computers in innocent third countries. “These attacks can be spoofed,” he says. “You could have someone sitting in China, for example, making it appear that one of these attacks is originating in Russia. And then we end up shooting back at a Russian hospital. What happens next?”

In addition to the possibility of accidentally starting a war, Snowden views MonsterMind as the ultimate threat to privacy because, in order for the system to work, the NSA first would have to secretly get access to virtually all private communications coming in from overseas to people in the US. “The argument is that the only way we can identify these malicious traffic flows and respond to them is if we're analyzing all traffic flows,” he says. “And if we're analyzing all traffic flows, that means we have to be intercepting all traffic flows. That means violating the Fourth Amendment, seizing private communications without a warrant, without probable cause or even a suspicion of wrongdoing. For everyone, all the time.” (A spokesperson for the NSA declined to comment on MonsterMind, the malware in Syria, or on the specifics of other aspects of this article.)

• Locked thread