Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So great that this show is back.

High Points:
  • New intro!
  • Shaw!
  • Fusco in an Amish beard!
  • Root!
  • "In the arm, through a brick wall, in the dark. You're welcome."
  • Elias Episode? Nina Simone!
  • Carter on her own!

Low Points:
  • Not enough Bear. :sigh:

Anyway, I'm seriously psyched about Root's arc.

vvv Fair enough.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

My only problem with Fusco is that he's becoming a little too much of a joke character sometimes.
He goes back and forth. Towards the end of last season, he had to handle his personal business by himself. He's a joke character when associating with the rest of the team, but on his own his stories are pretty loving depressing which makes the buffoonish comic relief even more depressing. Of all the characters, he's the most alone and least in control.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MrFlibble posted:

Isn't Carter in a worse place at the moment? Fusco has got to be feeling better about himself now that hes taken down the majority of HR and got a part time gig being a hero. Carter meanwhile has concealed a crime boss with plans on taking down a shadowy mastermind.
I'd say yes, but Carter's deal is that she's Big Picture with Big Goals. Fusco deal is that he's a schmuck trying to hold together a crummy life. Reese and Finch have always viewed Carter as an asset and Fusco as a liability. Despite her lows, Carter has always had a brighter future.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So this is the fourth tech-related number they've received and the second one in social networking. The other two were Root and that kid with the super-compression. In addition to numbers like Leon and Zoe who are assets to the team, it seems like the Machine is watching for potential threats or improvements to it's very system. I doubt the irrelevant numbers are chosen randomly. I also wonder if SuperAnonymous is acting at the behest of the Machine, eliminating possible competition.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I'm very much against this train of thought. If only because everything we've seen of the Machine thus far has suggested that it wants to save every life it possibly can. I would be out of character, in my opinion, for the machine to rally up an army for the sole purpose of "eliminating the competition."

I do however believe that the Machine's plan for root definitely involves these people, whether it be protection from them, or having root act as the Machine's prophet to turn them onto it's side without bloodshed.
I wasn't suggesting the Machine wants people murdered, but it does provide the government with numbers that are likely to end in a deadly confrontation, so it's not necessarily going to balk at some hostiles being lost for the greater good. And by "competition" I mostly meant other machines or systems; the network this guy created facilitated stalking and murder and existed without oversight. Life-trace basically does what the Machine does-makes connections-only without the directive.

I'm not especially married to this theory, it's just fascinating how the Machine has emerged as such a presence while acting almost entirely in the background.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

If Root still has administrative duty does that mean so does Reese?
She doesn't have administrative access, the Machine lists her as "Analogue Asset."

Someone (Division Post, I think) said the Machine storyline was straight out of Philip K. Dick, but I thought it was clearly Neuromancer-like. Now it may as well be PKD's VALIS.

The A-plot was kind of disjointed and weak, but I enjoyed it because I like watching the characters interact. It's funny, in the procedurals I watch, the plot-of-the-week tends to be the thing I'm least interested in.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ignis posted:

Here's a spoilery clip from the NYCC panel of PoI.
Carter's partner is on HR. Bet you didn't see that coming huh :v:

Always nice to see Carter kick rear end, though.

GodDAMN!

Just when I was getting concerned they were backseating Carter...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Eh, the rapist was early on in John's new "career"...it was only the fourth episode of the show after all. He was still recovering from his downward spiral and hadn't really settled into his new life the way he has as the show's progressed, and while I guess it's not an invalid interpretation to suggest that he could have done to that guy what he did to the crazy stalker Marshal and dragged him to some out-of-the-way prison I kind of feel like the Reese of that point in time would probably have taken the more expedient approach.
I get the feeling the Mexican prison was supposed to be a plot thread, but they just kind of dropped it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That episode was awesome.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

I'd love it so much if The Machine is having Root kidnap Shaw and have them be best friends, and learn to be less emotionally broken human beings. They're gonna have fun. Take a ear for a walk in the dog park, go see a movie, go to a book club (with no guns).
Well she did say she wanted to have a pet like John.

StarkRavingMad posted:

It seems to me like maybe the Machine is setting up redundancies (a very computer like thing to do). After all, what could it do if Finch and Reese got wiped out by something it couldn't protect them from? How could it explain itself to new people? But...it knows of one hacker as good as Finch that knows about it and cares about it, and one wet work asset as good as Reese who is also in the loop. Why not pair them off into their own cell?

It could even play into Harold's instruction that it isn't allowed to directly protect him -- remember the blackjack episode where he told it that it wasn't allowed to do that, when he almost got hit by a car. Maybe it is worried about what to do if Finch's number comes up. In fact, maybe it already knows that is going to happen. But it could pass that number along to a separate Root/Shaw team.

Loved this episode. From Carter knowing that the rookie was HR all along to confirmation that Shaw really is a legit sociopath it seemed like a lot of pieces are coming together.
I get the feeling that it's not so much a redundancy as it is the Machine seeking direct action.

Finch and Reese can only be so useful because they have fundamental suspicion/wariness of the Machine. They're also the types that prefer to figure things out on their own; they're accustomed to the oblique nature of the numbers. Despite being able to contact people directly, The Machine still only gives out breadcrumbs.

Root has absolute faith in the Machine and a direct line to it. Shaw is even more of a soldier than Reese; in this episode she was operating as though Finch was giving her direct orders when that's not really how they work. Root's designation is "Analog Interface;" the last title in this episode was "Analog Interface Active," which could refer to Root, but could also refer to Shaw's being made active.

Basically, Finch/Reese are like Buddhism while Root/Shaw are like Judaism.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Loved this last episode, but I have the somewhat bizarre criticism (maybe worry is a better word) that the show is doing too much of what I want it to do. The overall Machine arc (which I want to see) has caused the procedural aspects to get a bit sloppy. Finch should have been more careful tailing him and there should have been more fallout, or at least suspicion, on the part of Charlie Francis. From his perspective, Finch should have been a prime suspect for involvement in his brother's 'death.' It may just be that the first two seasons did such a fantastic job of blending the two.

Anyway, I'm really liking Carter's plot.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I love how after years of giving out one number at a time, Carter gives the Machine an aneurism and it spits out 61 of them in a day.

It also shows a blindspot to the Machine's omniscience; it can't actually read minds, it can only predict and those predictions can be wrong. The second group of numbers showed up before Carter called the FBI. So God watches us, but doesn't actually know us.

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm thinking more that this points to Carter dying. The only reason I could think not was that she was a single mom and what about her kid, but now they've brought the ex back from nowhere, established that he has redeemed himself as a person off screen thanks to her and is now totally ready to be the dad he never was when she dies.
Yeah, that was my thought as well, but I really hope not. It's probably down to her or Fusco and of the two, I think I'd rather lose Fusco please don't kill Fusco. I could see this arc going either way; she burns her bridges and becomes like Reese and Shaw, or burns HR down and goes out on a high note please don't kill Carter. Though if she does become like Reese and Shaw, they could become redundant and lose their plot armor please don't kill Reese or Shaw.

All I know is the kevlar vest for Bear isn't foreshadowing because Bear is going to be just fine HE'S GOING TO BE FINE.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I sort of stockholmed into loving it, cause whenever you heard about any kind of break or hiatus you knew there was gonna be some next level cliffhanger coming in the episode.
Yeah, one of the things this show has mastered is using the procedural formula to completely own the emotional narrative. Episode 10 has been the cliffhanger; s01e10 ends with John getting shot, s02e10 ends with John getting arrested. If next week is focused on John, episode 10 could be just about anything that will completely wreck you.

Sober posted:

God I am going to loving crack over the next two weeks from suddenly life making me more busy but this is the final goddamn straw, especially if someone actually has to die. And the worst part is there is no cliffhanger, maybe the episodes after the mid-season will deal with it a bit but it's all open and shut.

ARRRRGHHHHH

Well at least they aren't pulling the bullshit they did last year with the John arrested by the FBI arc where they aired episodes with three week gaps in between.
Unless it's Finch who dies and the Machine goes nuts Please don't kill Finch.

Or maybe Root Please don't kill Root.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The bold move would be to kill off Reese.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
They're totally gonna kill Reese if only to milk it for Bear's reaction.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, I'm betting it's Reese. Carter's plot lines wrapping up could just as easily be burning her bridges to permanently join the Irrelevants, with the added bonus of feeling somewhat responsible for Reese's death. And she and Fusco still don't know about the Machine. It's a major shakeup that would keep the show from getting stagnant.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
If they want to kill of Squidster, I'd be okay with that. His plot has dragged this season.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I'm gonna theorize that Carter fakes her death and joins team machine full time, they already established that fences have been mended with her ex and he can take care of Taylor if she needs to go completely off the grid.
So no actual deaths?

Reese's ensuing rampage at Carter's death would be something to behold.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
:smith: Carter.

That was an amazing episode.

Reese breaking down at the end... :smith:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Just watched the episode again. Fusco's crazy face (and for a moment afterwards) reminds me of an episode of The IT Crowd where Roy goes on a date with an ex and she ends up looking like the joker because of her makeup/crying.

I was thinking Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I thought it was an interesting moment because I didn't really get a Mulder/Scully quasi-romance feel from it. Knowing it was unscripted makes it work more.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

No POI is really a unique take on the crime procedural format in a way that even other shows in the genre I like (such as Elementary) are not. I can't think of any other show that so seamlessly blends serialized storytelling with week to week problem solving type episodes. At least not until you start branching out of the specifically crime procedural shows into things like Fringe.
This really can't be overstated.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It's more than that; the impetus for each prodecural episode makes it a mythology episode. You can view the mythology as an aggregation of the procedurals, or the procedurals as facets of the mythology.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
You people are nuts. Root is awesome.

On her own she sussed out the existence of a new life form, tracked it's (former) location, and was then directly contacted by that life form. That entitles her to a bit of smugness. To her, the Machine is the only thing that matters. For everything else she'll be honest or dishonest depending on the situation or how she feels.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

I have a feeling she's going to be humbled sometime in the near future. When the machine saved itself last season, it nearly broke her and she became her current, fanatical self, but I don't think this state is very stable. She's due for another shock.
I thought there was a significant degree of shocked humility when Finch suggested that the Machine wanted her to be locked up. I also don't think she "became" her current fanatical self, I think she was restored to her fanatical self by the phone call. The Machine saving itself was her crisis of faith.

That's not to say she's not due for another shock.

Decius posted:

Yeah, I really like her too. She's the fundamentalist, zealot disciple, who would do everything for her God and she is crazily intelligent and capable. She'll probably soon facing several conflicts between how far she would go (all the way) and how far The Machine will go.
She already had a moment like that when she escaped from the hospital and the Machine told her not to kill Hersh.

That's not to say she won't have another moment.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Well there's already precedence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-cDufgt8dY

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That also works.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Two sneak peeks for tonight's episode just went up, both Root focused:

First: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvD6Xdj3btI
Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWneojbM-QQ

That second preview has me wicked excited.

Awesome. More Root, just like this thread demanded! :getin:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Slamhound posted:

Reese's ensuing rampage at Carter's death would be something to behold.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
In an all-around amazing episode, the few seconds of Carter's son and ex may have been the most affecting; her son looks broken while the ex looks angry.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

pasaluki posted:

:words: about Finch.
This is all good, but I don't think Finch felt powerless, he felt paralyzed. He's dealt with being unable to help people, that's why he sought out Reese. It's also why he's a recluse; don't get too involved because there's only so much you can do and there's always more to do for someone else. The numbers keep coming. This is first time where that's blown up on him. He, even more than Reese, is operating under the assumption that he's alone when he isn't. By keeping people at a distance, by insisting on solitude and secrecy, he's unable to save those closest to him, those who help him help the innocent which is his chosen mission.

It's worth remembering that in the first season, Finch was the one advising to keep Carter at arm's length, while Reese pegged her as one of the good ones.

pasaluki posted:

Does Finch in the cold open look at the gravestone or the angel on top of it?
Also :lol:, the practical reason for his looking around is that Shaw disappeared to hand out a Scorcese-level beatdown to some dive bar mooks.

pasaluki posted:

I think that first 5 minutes could have been the entire episode and I would have still been amazed.
Yeah, this too.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So did anyone watch that Hurt montage about a hundred times?

Because I watched that Hurt montage about a hundred times.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Collier was searching for Samaritan rather than The Machine specifically so he wouldn't get a yellow box. Same deal with Claypool (and the NSA guy from season 1); they know about a machine, but not The Machine. That makes both Root and Carter's deductions that much more impressive.

This show is so great. It's managed to have two mid-season finales.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
If Kara Stanton got out of China by way of dissidents and Decima, Reese could have gotten out through the Chinese government. Loyalty wouldn't be an issue because as far as he's concerned, the US government pulled his card. "Quitting his job" could refer to a gunfight/breakup with his Chinese handlers.

Yeah, it's a stretch.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Bear is his co-pilot.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This one was kind of weird because it was the first post-Carter boilerplate episode. I was right there with Reese at the end.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Great episode. I loved seeing Kara Stanton again; there are very few characters with her smug competence.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

You realize that Root is on this same show, right?
True, but root isn't so much smug as she is nuts, and her confidence comes in part from her trust in a higher power. Stanton just had this selfish, singular, and casual arrogance that surpassed everyone else. John was a danger or adversary to someone like Snow, but he was a puppy dog to Stanton.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Shakugan posted:

I'm really ready for Root to meet her end. Surely we'll be getting some plot where the machine decides that Roots role is to die for whatever reason, and Root either decides she was wrong to blindly follow the machine, or decides it's for the greater good.

Don't really care either way, I just can't stand Amy Acker's interpretation of smugness. Some actors can do smugness well, in a way that makes you like them (Tyrion from Game of Thrones for example). But Acker's smugness just really gets on my nerves and so I can't wait for Root to get her comeuppance.
This is crazy talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
UPGRADING FIRMWARE

:stare: That wasn't referring to the cochlear implant, was it.

With the show's grounding in Neuromancer and Colossus: The Forbin Project, I doubt it will be a war between machines, but rather a melding of the two that could result in lots of death. The Machine's concern is keeping people safe, particularly Harold and the team, as they're the ones who keep others safe. It's kind of an interesting turn on the idea of gods getting their power from their worshippers.

• Locked thread