Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
There wouldn't happen to be any Fate games with mechanics for time travel is (are?) there?

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Timeworks, part of Fate Worlds Volume 2, Worlds in Shadow.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Wow, I'd missed the part in the OP about the pay-what-you-like pdfs.

Evil Hat just earned a couple of future sales.

Edit: drat, there was no need for this to be a whole new post.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Day After Ragnarok: Fate Edition is up for preorders ($20 for print & PDF), and backers can get the PDF in the stash with a discount code for the book.

quote:

Know, O Prince, that between the years when the Serpent fell and the oceans drank America and the gleaming cities, and the rise of the Sons of Space, there was an Age undreamed of, when nations guttered low and flared brilliant across the poisoned world like dying stars—California and Texas each claiming the flag of the West, France torn asunder and facing the desert, harsh Mexico, slumbering Brazil, Argentina where the seeds of Thule lay waiting, ancient lands of Persia and Arabia and Iraq between two empires, the coldly clutching Soviet Union whispering behind its Wall of Serpent, Japan whose warriors wore steel and silk and khaki. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Australia, the last green and pleasant land, ringed around by its dominions and bulwarked by the sea...

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Im going to be running Dresden Files RPG in a few weeks. It will be my first time working with the FATE system. Any tips or things to watch out for?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
The hardest thing for me is remembering to compel aspects regularly. I'd definately recommend writing down the PC's aspects and keeping it handy.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Exmond posted:

Im going to be running Dresden Files RPG in a few weeks. It will be my first time working with the FATE system. Any tips or things to watch out for?

I find that allowing multiple full wizards can be a problem. It is hard to make each of them unique and even harder to actually challenge them. A group of minor talents, one full wizard and assorted buddies, or similar works wonderfully though.

Things can get a bit overpowered with focus items and rotes so you might want to limit those.

As far as Aspects go just keep track of their High Concepts, Troubles, and any other Aspects that you think might be fun to compel that session. The players will generally tell you if they think something else is applicable.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The spellcasting stunts are all quite overpowered really.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.

veekie posted:

The spellcasting stunts are all quite overpowered really.

Like Lawbreaker and Refinement? I'm a bit confused.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Simply due to how magic works, Evocation, Thaumaturgy, and Sponsored Magic basically lets you substitute your spellcasting ability for nearly any skill out there on the fly, with ritual magic or focus items, you can also push the numbers well past anything else the group could pull.

Channeling and Ritual aren't so bad since they're fairly limited in scope, though battle magic being pumped to pretty absurd numbers still happens.

veekie fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 26, 2013

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.
This is why I prefer the more limited magical types. Someone limited to Pyromancy isn't going to be casting a lockpick spell. Even the full on wizards have to worry about fallout.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

veekie posted:

Simply due to how magic works, Evocation, Thaumaturgy, and Sponsored Magic basically lets you substitute your spellcasting ability for nearly any skill out there on the fly, with ritual magic or focus items, you can also push the numbers well past anything else the group could pull.

Channeling and Ritual aren't so bad since they're fairly limited in scope, though battle magic being pumped to pretty absurd numbers still happens.

Thaumaturgy (and Ritual, since they're nearly the same thing) doesn't really allow the player to pull out more than the group-- it allows the group to pull out whatever is necessary to skip parts of the story that they don't find interesting/want to play.

Maybe Rick Neal's blog should go in the OP. Even though it's a little outdated for Core, we do get a lot of questions on Dresden, still.

[Edit:] vvv Yeah, that's the one. Thanks, I didn't have the link where I am.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 26, 2013

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.

Blasphemeral posted:

Maybe Rick Neal's blog should go in the OP. Even though it's a little outdated for Core, we do get a lot of questions on Dresden, still.

http://www.rickneal.ca/?page_id=842
Here is the best link I was able to find. Useful info in here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing to remember about Dresden Files is that magic is stupid powerful, but that's kind of the point. It's more or less once of the core concepts of the setting. So you need to take that into account when doing character creation or setting up opponents.

I've done Dresden games where wizards aren't allowed as PCs, but people can play supernatural types, and it worked pretty well.

As for GMing advice: make a spreadsheet of everyone's aspects, but highlight their High Concepts, Troubles, and apex skills, because those are your main character hooks. Remember the secret language of character sheets: everything people put down, they want to use or have happen in the game. That's not to say you should use everything, but if you're stuck on what should happen next then take a quick glance through the list.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah, it's very setting appropriate, it just turns every problem into a magic problem though.
Whether it's fact finding, tracking, gaining access, etc, you can throw Thaumaturgy at the problem and it goes away. You'd pretty rarely have a problem it can't hammer through, unless said problem was set up the same way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Day After Ragnarok: Fate Edition is up for preorders ($20 for print & PDF), and backers can get the PDF in the stash with a discount code for the book.
I've been wanting this for a while.

I'm still a Fate newbie. How do the rules look?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I've been wanting this for a while.

I'm still a Fate newbie. How do the rules look?

Looks like straight Fate Core; the three phases are Glory Days, The Day After Ragnarok, and Just a Few Days Ago. Five new skills, and you start with 1 Superb, 2 Great, and so on down the pyramid. Three free stunts, too, so it's a little more cinematic/high powered (which fits, I think).

I'd say it feels like an updated SotC so far, but I haven't dug too deep into it yet.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Evil Mastermind posted:

Looks like straight Fate Core; the three phases are Glory Days, The Day After Ragnarok, and Just a Few Days Ago. Five new skills, and you start with 1 Superb, 2 Great, and so on down the pyramid. Three free stunts, too, so it's a little more cinematic/high powered (which fits, I think).

I'd say it feels like an updated SotC so far, but I haven't dug too deep into it yet.

Doesn't Fate Core have 3 free stunts already?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

Doesn't Fate Core have 3 free stunts already?

Oops, I misread: you get three extra slots for extras or gear on top of your normal stunt slots.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I played a playtest of it and was thoroughly intrigued. It's a setting where every location offers a deeply different game. (We were Agents of the Crown, British spies exploring Manchuria. If we had chosen something else, we'd be neo-rum runners defending Chicago from mutants or White Russians trying to destroy Science City 17.)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I posted in the "what system should I use?" thread because I'd been itching to get back into my fairly thorough adaptation of the canceled Black Isle Fallout 3, and I was looking for a replacement system for Fallout PNP 2.0 that didn't require copious amounts of flow-killing math. I was pointed in FATE's direction, and while it looks intriguing I'm concerned with preserving as much Fallout flavor as possible, which means replicating as much of SPECIAL as I can when I inevitably retool FATE. I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure I'll get there.

So I have a few questions, some of which may be things I just haven't read yet, being partway into the core book:
1) Is there level progression in FATE, or anything of the sort? The Van Buren campaign was plotted out for a ~30 hour RPG, after all, and so far FATE seems to be tailored toward more traditional tabletop adventures, basically the difference between a novel series and a short story collection. Since the system seems narrative-focused, I assume your characters stay the same throughout the campaign in most respects, with stunts changing often? They're fairly explicit about the fact that challenge targets and roll numbers are not supposed to progressively rise, which would seem to prohibit traditional notions of leveling and the like.
2) Following from that, I'm unsure of how to model things like equipment and traits / perks, which are numerous and (sometimes nominally) differentiated. Maybe I'm just used to mechanics-heavy RPGs and should square myself with a game where most details are cosmetic rather than mechanical. I did play a FATE-like game once (Hollowpoint) in which there really weren't mechanical properties of objects at all, just skills and dice, and the particulars of a scene were there for flavor and imagery more than anything else.

I'm interested in playing in a FATE game as a player, so I can get a better hang of it and maybe not bungle GMing the Fallout game as a result, but a quick scan of the PBP forum seems to indicate that it's pretty exclusively an anime thing here, and I'm not into that. Oh well.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 26, 2013

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

I posted in the "what system should I use?" thread because I'd been itching to get back into my fairly thorough adaptation of the canceled Black Isle Fallout 3, and I was looking for a replacement system for Fallout PNP 2.0 that didn't require copious amounts of flow-killing math. I was pointed in FATE's direction, and while it looks intriguing I'm concerned with preserving as much Fallout flavor as possible, which means replicating as much of SPECIAL as I can when I inevitably retool FATE. I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure I'll get there.

So I have a few questions, some of which may be things I just haven't read yet, being partway into the core book:
1) Is there level progression in FATE, or anything of the sort? The Van Buren campaign was plotted out for a ~30 hour RPG, after all, and so far FATE seems to be tailored toward more traditional tabletop adventures, basically the difference between a novel series and a short story collection. Since the system seems narrative-focused, I assume your characters stay the same throughout the campaign in most respects, with stunts changing often? They're fairly explicit about the fact that challenge targets and roll numbers are not supposed to progressively rise, which would seem to prohibit traditional notions of leveling and the like.
2) Following from that, I'm unsure of how to model things like equipment and traits / perks, which are numerous and (sometimes nominally) differentiated. Maybe I'm just used to mechanics-heavy RPGs and should square myself with a game where most details are cosmetic rather than mechanical. I did play a FATE-like game once (Hollowpoint) in which there really weren't mechanical properties of objects at all, just skills and dice, and the particulars of a scene were there for flavor and imagery more than anything else.

I'm interested in playing in a FATE game as a player, so I can get a better hang of it and maybe not bungle GMing the Fallout game as a result, but a quick scan of the PBP forum seems to indicate that it's pretty exclusively an anime thing here, and I'm not into that. Oh well.
Funny enough, that seems to be what this guy has been doing.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296251

There are a few more fate threads taking about his game in the forum, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Characters do advance. Instead of levels, there are "milestones" (p. 260 of Core). Short form is that at the end of an adventure/scenario, you get a skill point, and at the end of a major plot point you get a point of Refresh, which you can keep or use to buy a new stunt.

Remember that Fate characters start out pretty competent, so it's not built around the idea of a slow progression up a level ladder, or a lot of small incremental advances every X bad guys you defeat.

quote:

For the most part, Fate doesn't worry too much about gear. Guns are things you use to use your "Shoot" skill, and maybe if you have a bigger gun it'll do +1 stress on a hit. Special gear should be handled differently, of course. I'd check out the Fate Toolkit.

As for perks, you can probably model those via stunts pretty easily.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Basic Chunnel posted:

For SPECIAL, you can look at FATE Accelerated and model those through reskinning the approaches a little bit. If you want to keep Fallout's more granular skill system, FATE Core is designed to be retooled: they want you to come up with your own skill list. Fallout's list can be used pretty much as-is with Core.

If I recall correctly, the more interesting perks are things like "good with children", "gore everywhere" and "aided by a mysterious stranger". This kind of thing fits way better as aspects than stunts, I think (except maybe for the mysterious stranger one).

You can use stunts for special gear and assorted perks! If you want to model Fallout's constant switching of weapons, you could make "gear stunts" that aren't inherent to the characters but to what they're carrying.

As for advancement, as Evil Mastermind said, there is advancement; only it's subtler than level-based games like D&D.

Thinking about it with this post, I don't believe you need to do much work at all to make Fallout work with FATE.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
If you really want to keep the feeling of "I've gained a level!", it's simple enough to just move the milestones to 'when you complete a quest', though it does mean a short break in the game while people adjust character sheets, and is harder to justifty narratively.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

petrol blue posted:

If you really want to keep the feeling of "I've gained a level!", it's simple enough to just move the milestones to 'when you complete a quest', though it does mean a short break in the game while people adjust character sheets, and is harder to justifty narratively.

Well, "completing a quest" is pretty much the same thing as completing an adventure, which is a significant milestone.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Basic Chunnel posted:

The last two major undertakings were anime, yes. However, basically anything can be run as FATE, and everything has been. Just keep an eye out, and you'll probably find something that sparks your interest.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.

Basic Chunnel posted:

You could always hop on over to the Google Plus Communities. There are a lot of games going on over there all the time. Using Google Hangouts, or Google Video Conference, or whatever they're calling it now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I posted about Day After Ragnarok on my Facebook and now all my friends want me to run it for them. So that will be happening before long. I went ahead and ordered a hard copy, with the discount code, because why not.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

The last two major undertakings were anime, yes. However, basically anything can be run as FATE, and everything has been. Just keep an eye out, and you'll probably find something that sparks your interest.

Don't trust this guy, he has an ~anime avatar~!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Plutonis posted:

Don't trust this guy, he has an ~anime avatar~!

So do you, and so do I. :japan:

Really, though, there aren't any FATE/Fate Core/Fate Accelerated settings tied to anime explicitly. Heck, before Fate Core, the standard for the Play by Post forum was a tie in to the Dresden Files series, which I've seen reused for a smoky New Orleans investigative game and a sadly aborted Jagged Alliance alike.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm a little surprised you got pointed to FATE and not Apocalypse World, but I won't lie, I've wanted a FATE/Fallout system for a while now. I think what you'll find is that SPECIAL, as a whole, should translate over fairly well. You won't have the actual stats it's named for though, as FATE is a skills only system. So, you know, make them skills instead :geno:. Stunts are Perks, Stunts and Aspects are Traits. Players can be Super Mutants, Ghouls, or more quite easily. You can incorporate factions into characters' backgrounds and give that mechanical weight.

Gear is kinda barebones in FATE. The new Toolkit is supposed to have options for expanding that though.

OmegaGoo posted:

Last five by my count. Anime robots, anime Shadowruns, anime Cthulhus, Personae, and TWEWY.

Of course, I'm not at all against the idea of anime Fallout, because this subforum does that to you. GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 27, 2013

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm a little surprised you got pointed to FATE and not Apocalypse World,

He was pointed to Apocalypse World. I know, because I'm the one who pointed it to him :D

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'm actually bummed that the time travel and the fantasy magic shop games didn't go past character creation, but yeah. People will run what they like, so hopefully you'll find a Fate game you'd be interested in soon. :)

If you want a little crunch in the gear and have a hold of Diaspora or Bulldogs from that last Bundle of Holding, they do have rules for making guns (both slug throwers and energy weapons!) and armor.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey I'm going to run a Fate game in IRC in like ten minutes... Well, more precisely we're going to build characters and stuff. :)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've been running DFRPG:New Orleans here for the past... year and 6-7 months now so if there's anything specific about that system you need to know ask away.

Nawlins is a full party of Wizards, and yeah when doing Wizards you need to take some things into account. I came up with a few house rules about a year in to reduce their scaling slightly (Removed focus items entirely as they just break the game. Made Refinements unstackable so you have to broaden your magic when you get points instead of just Fireball, Fireball+, Fireball++)

Basically, Magic Items/Potions are great and make for really interesting scenes, so giving the wizards more magic items and removing the focus items (which are just stat sticks no one was bothering to describe anyway) has fixed a lot of things.

For my game specifically I tend to make them actually run through the severe consequence on anything (even mooks) they want to kill dead. This isn't something I'd recommend for a less ridiculously powerful party though.

A lot of people have jumped ship to Core and the new splats but old DFRPG is still a great system for running the actual Dresden setting in.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Paper Kaiju posted:

He was pointed to Apocalypse World. I know, because I'm the one who pointed it to him :D

Yeah, got the books and the writing's a bit... indirect. Not that I mind things being written in character but I got a bit lost. I'm going to keep going through it and see if it makes sense to me. But it does seem like a very unique system.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah, got the books and the writing's a bit... indirect. Not that I mind things being written in character but I got a bit lost. I'm going to keep going through it and see if it makes sense to me. But it does seem like a very unique system.

Yeah, it does have that issue. The system is amazing; it's been ported into nearly a dozen other commercially released games, but its definitely esoteric.

Nice thing about FATE, though, is that once you learn it for one game, you can use it for pretty much everything else.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I always have the trouble with AW that a major mechanic is having sex with other PCs and I have never once looked upon a group that I thought could make it not creepy. God is the conflict resolution system ever great though; death to d20 and ability scores it's all about 2d6 plus flat number now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I always have the trouble with AW that a major mechanic is having sex with other PCs and I have never once looked upon a group that I thought could make it not creepy. God is the conflict resolution system ever great though; death to d20 and ability scores it's all about 2d6 plus flat number now.

At the risk of turning this into AWorld chat, the sex moves aren't really a major part of the system. You can skip them entierly and not miss anything.

Personally, I never found them creepy because they're about what happens to the characters and their relationships after they have sex. It's not like you're rolling to see how well you gently caress or anything.