Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Scrape posted:

To clarify: my Totally Awesome Snowflake PC has four Physical Stress boxes. Are the following statements correct?

2. If he gets hit for 1 "damage" three times in a row, I just check the boxes off one at a time, in order. So the third time I take 1 dmg, I'm forced to check off a 3-point box even though it's just 1 Stress. At that point, it makes more sense for me to fill in a 2point Consequence, because the 3-point Stress box is more valuable, right?

Just chiming in on the Stress discussion to point out an important thing that you might want to know: Except in a few rare, extremely uncommon circumstances, you never want to take a Consequence if you can help it. While Consequences are handy for soaking up stress, their true value lies in the fact that they are Aspects, can be invoked and used as such, and above all the enemy gets them for free when he hurts you. Taking a consequence is like handing the other team a free, automatically successful Create Advantage action on top of their successful attack. If you accept a Consequence, the next bad guy down the line can use it to tag his attack and make it 2 points better, making it almost a certainty that he'll hurt you again and make you take another consequence (and if he's a real rear end in a top hat, he might succeed with style, take the one-shift reduction on the inflicted stress and gain two different aspects for his next buddy to hit you with!). FATE has what is called a 'Death Spiral', where the first relevant injury quickly leads to a crushing defeat for the wounded side unless it can do something very drastic to turn the tables. Probably the number 1 use of Fate Points is dodging or reducing Consequence inflicting attacks, and for good reason - once your injuries start going past the threshold of minor cuts and nicks or mildly bruised egos, things are going to escalate dramatically very hard and someone is going to walk away broken in some way, pending Concessions - if they can walk away at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So has anyone here had any experience running FATE as a fantasy adventure game along the lines of D&D's heritage? I've got a bug in my rear end to run another fantasy game, but I've really grown to dislike the D&D skill system and I'd like to focus less on combat. I feel like the aspects that make up FATE might be a good alternative, but I'm coming from almost no experience with the system itself. Am I looking at trying to stuff a square peg in a round hole here?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Well, ChrisAsmadi's old Planescape game is going to relaunch as a FAE Freeport game pretty soon, so you might want to keep an eye on that one. So far, it seems like FATE works pretty well for adapting D&D characters into it, but we won't know for sure until we actually get going.

EDIT: That said, a lot of people have long held the belief that D&D 4e with 13th Age Backgrounds in place of Skills and Fate Points replacing and integrating Action Points is probably the absolute best quicky and dirty fix for getting the perfect crunchy fantasy game. So it can't be that bad of an idea.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 30, 2013

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I've been pondering running my Fate fantasy hack, or possibly working to improve it, but I'm in two minds about running a game at all. So I'm probably the worst person to ask, come to think of it :(

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.

Transient People posted:

Except in a few rare, extremely uncommon circumstances, you never want to take a Consequence if you can help it.

Hmmmm, this is what I assumed originally, but it seems kinda weird to me. Like, is that extremely uncommon? If you know a fight is going to last for a while and you're facing a 4-point hit, wouldn't you want to save your 4-point Stress Box to stay in the fight, and instead take a Consequence? Or should you pretty much always wait until your Stress track is full before moving on to Consequences?

With four Stress boxes, it just feels like I'll practically never need to take Consequences. I don't want combat to be lethal, far from it, but I really like the idea of lasting damage being modeled as negative Aspects and was really looking forward to some Bruised and Battered Consequences, but those four Stress boxes just soak up everything. I just returned from my fifth game session, and tonight was the first time I've ever gotten a Consequence: a 4-point Shot in the Shoulder, and it was the result of some massively skewed rolls. Is the GM just pitching us softballs? Or are PCs really this invincible? I hardly even use my fourth Stress box!

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For the life of me, I'm having a hard time rapping my head around aspects. Are there other ways to invoke aspects other than spending fate points? and do aspects do other things then give you a +2 to a roll?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OmanyteJackson posted:

For the life of me, I'm having a hard time rapping my head around aspects. Are there other ways to invoke aspects other than spending fate points? and do aspects do other things then give you a +2 to a roll?

Well, first off, aspects help define the fiction. I'll go ahead and quote from the Fate Core book:

Fate Core page 59 posted:

[L]ots of Fate characters might have a high Fight skill, but only Landon is a Disciple of the Ivory Shroud. When his path as a disciple comes into play, or the Ivory Shroud takes action, it gives the game a personal touch that it wouldn't have had otherwise.

So character aspects can have a huge impact on what is and isn't narrative true in your game world.

In terms of mechanics, aspects can be invoked to give yourself a +2, give another player of +2 if its reasonable that your aspect can help them, or add +2 to existing opposition. You can also invoke an aspect to just let you reroll your dice, taking the reroll means that you run the risk of rolling lower than you did the first time. My general rule of thumb is that I'll only reroll if I rolled a -4 or -3.

Not all invocations cost a Fate Point. If you succeed on a "Create Advantage" roll, the aspect you create can be invoked once for free, either by yourself or another player. If you succeed with style, you get two free invocations. You also get a free invoke on any consequences you inflict on an enemy. If you get a free invoke on something, you can still spend a Fate Point on that aspect to get a double bonus; either in the form of a straight +4, or something like 'use the free invoke for a reroll, the reroll sucks, so spend a Fate Point on the same aspect to take a +2'

Hope that helps!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scrape posted:

Hmmmm, this is what I assumed originally, but it seems kinda weird to me. Like, is that extremely uncommon? If you know a fight is going to last for a while and you're facing a 4-point hit, wouldn't you want to save your 4-point Stress Box to stay in the fight, and instead take a Consequence? Or should you pretty much always wait until your Stress track is full before moving on to Consequences?

With four Stress boxes, it just feels like I'll practically never need to take Consequences. I don't want combat to be lethal, far from it, but I really like the idea of lasting damage being modeled as negative Aspects and was really looking forward to some Bruised and Battered Consequences, but those four Stress boxes just soak up everything. I just returned from my fifth game session, and tonight was the first time I've ever gotten a Consequence: a 4-point Shot in the Shoulder, and it was the result of some massively skewed rolls. Is the GM just pitching us softballs? Or are PCs really this invincible? I hardly even use my fourth Stress box!

You don't want to 'save' your stress boxes because once about half of your boxes are filled up, a Consequence hit means your opponents will start to simply bypass the rest of your track entirely. At that point, your stress boxes may as well all be full for all they good they'll do you.

As for your experiences, I can't say without having access to your statblock and the statblock of the enemies your GM used. In general, my experience is that PCs are untouchable so long as they have Fate Points to burn and that's alright, just the system working as intended (if you've played D&D 4e, this is the equivalent to you burning your healing surges to stay upright). Without them, concentrated fire can make a PC drop dead in a single round.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

TheDemon posted:

You also have a lot more freedom with stunts when statting up NPCs. I wanted a character to be basically invincible, so I gave him this stunt:
Stunt: Always wins the roll in a contest of strength or power by +1.

I would offer players a Fate Point if they lose a encounter, and say you're tagging the villain's "Not Til I'm Ready!" aspect.
(It's the same, mechanically, as asking them to concede a contest without taking consequences).

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

Oooh, this I can help with. Mechanically, character Aspects are pretty much "pay a Fate Point for a +2 or a reroll," but FP should be slung around the table frequently so it's not much of a price. It allows a character to be good at something without all the fiddly feat-taking or whatever. Like, an Aspect One-Man Army means that every time you try to be a badass, you will probably succeed, regardless of your "build." If you can use a related Aspect, you're a FP away from a hefty +2 or reroll. I think of it as a mechanical shorthand.

Like, my detective has +4 Contacts skill, but also the Aspect I Know Everyone...And They Know Me. He will always, always know someone that can help. There's just no way I cannot nail that roll, if I'm willing to spend a FP.

Edit: then there's the fun double-edged part of it. You earn those Fate Points by having your GM Compel the same Aspects, using them to your disadvantage. In this case, I disguised myself as a reporter and snuck into a newsroom to get some info. Of course, the GM slid a FP toward me, like "So... Everyone Knows You, right? I bet someone walks up and blows your cover: 'Rourke! What are you doing here?'" And of course I took the point and got thrown out before I got everything I wanted. So that's how Aspects fuel the Fate Point economy. It's cool.

Scrape fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 1, 2013

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

jivjov posted:

Well, first off, aspects help define the fiction. I'll go ahead and quote from the Fate Core book:

So character aspects can have a huge impact on what is and isn't narrative true in your game world.

In terms of mechanics, aspects can be invoked to give yourself a +2, give another player of +2 if its reasonable that your aspect can help them, or add +2 to existing opposition. You can also invoke an aspect to just let you reroll your dice, taking the reroll means that you run the risk of rolling lower than you did the first time. My general rule of thumb is that I'll only reroll if I rolled a -4 or -3.

Not all invocations cost a Fate Point. If you succeed on a "Create Advantage" roll, the aspect you create can be invoked once for free, either by yourself or another player. If you succeed with style, you get two free invocations. You also get a free invoke on any consequences you inflict on an enemy. If you get a free invoke on something, you can still spend a Fate Point on that aspect to get a double bonus; either in the form of a straight +4, or something like 'use the free invoke for a reroll, the reroll sucks, so spend a Fate Point on the same aspect to take a +2'

Hope that helps!

You're focusing too much on the simple numbers, I think. I read his question as asking, "Is there something besides +numbers that you can do with Fate Points."

I was going to reply "invoking for effect," but I think they stopped calling it that in Core. There's still an analog to that, though, right?

Evil Mastermind posted:

For example: I'm in a fight and I take a 6-stress hit. That's way off the top of my 3-box stress track, so I have a few options:
  • I take the full hit and get taken out. Remember that being taken out doesn't automatically mean being killed; the nature of being taken out is up to the person who takes you out, and has to make sense for the conflict, the attack, and the characters.
  • I could take a severe consequence; that reduces the hit by 4, meaning I now have a severe consequence and have filled in my second box.
  • I could take a minor and moderate consequences, completely neutralizing the stress but leaving me with two negative aspects.
  • Likewise, I could take a severe consequence and take no stress.
You mean that a severe reduces your stress by 6, don't you? Minor (2), Moderate (4), Severe (6)?

[edit]
It's also important to know that when there's an aspect stating something, such as tied up, that statement is true.
"I run away from the spinning sawblade."
"You can't, because you're tied up."

When the statement stops being true, the aspect goes away.
"I cut his ropes."
"Roll an overcome using [...]"
"Your ropes are cut, you're no longer tied up."

vvvvvvv

jivjov posted:

"Invoking for effect" is now just a compel that's player initiated.
Thanks! I thought I saw that somewhere.

Player-driven compels are the most powerful thing a clever person can do with Fate Points.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blasphemeral posted:

You're focusing too much on the simple numbers, I think. I read his question as asking, "Is there something besides +numbers that you can do with Fate Points."

I was going to reply "invoking for effect," but I think they stopped calling it that in Core. There's still an analog to that, though, right?

You mean that a severe reduces your stress by 6, don't you? Minor (2), Moderate (4), Severe (6)?

Actually, that should have said "moderate". My bad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blasphemeral posted:

"Invoking for effect" is now just a compel that's player initiated.

Fate Core page 294 posted:

You might have seen player-driven compels referred to as "invoking for effect." We thought it was clearer to just call it a compel, no matter who initiates it."

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

In regards to Aspects and anyone having trouble with them: The rulebook (and a lot of enthusiasts) get really caught up in the fact that pretty much everything can be an Aspect. They talk about scene aspects, character aspects, situation aspects... it can seem really confusing. And, like, how are you supposed to keep track of Slippery Floor, Stacked Boxes, You'll Never Take Me Alive, plus seven other npc and scene aspects along with the campaign aspects and the fact that every player has at least four of their own aaaahghghgh

Anyway, they confused me too, until I realized that just because almost anything can be, doesn't mean it has to be. An Aspect is just a descriptive phrase given mechanical weight. You don't have to describe everything that way, like sometimes a person is just friendly and isn't Friendly., y'know? It only matters if its compelling enough to use.

It's also a really useful mechanical shorthand. Some systems come up with modifiers or rules for every little situation, but in Fate you're just pinpointing the most useful or interesting things and calling them out. Like, last night we started a gun fight in a crowded theatre (because we are awesome). In other systems, there might be penalties for the low lighting and the innocent bystanders and the seats in the way. But we just wrote down Panicked Crowd and Dark Theater and if anyone wants to utilize those details to give themselves an advantage, then they are able to engage them mechanically. If they're not engaging them mechanically, those are still just descriptions that reinforce what's going on. If you're making a Defend roll, you could probably use either one of those Aspects to help you. But using Panicked Crowd to defend yourself is fictionally totally different than using Dark Theater, and it says something about what you're doing. I really, really like this part of Fate. Still not 100% sold on the combat mechanics, but Aspects are so awesome it hurts.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Anyway, my GM has expressed some dislike for the combat system. He was like "it's kinda in-between tactical combat and storygaming stuff. I don't wanna have to stat out all the enemies, but I want them to be more than just mooks." He said it felt somewhere between AW's one-roll conflict resolution and typical blow-by-blow combat. In a way, he seems correct. Is there a middle ground for this? Can we balance the desire for tactical and engaging fights with the preference for little or no statblocks? How do you guys normally handle conflicts?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Well, if you don't really wanna have solid statblocks, then you can basically write enemies as the following.

High Concept: Redshirt
Aspects: Curiousity Killed the Cat
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Attack: +2 (Guns)
Block: +2 (Athletics)
Other: +1 (Physique)

You really don't need anything more than a few Aspects that are inherently obvious, and maybe another for flavor. Then you just need an common Attack stat, a common Defense stat and another Skill they can probably use for Maneuvers or Overcomes if needed. You don't even need to obey the Skill Ladder for this low-detail enemies. If they need a skill you didn't think about, either give the NPC/enemy +0 or whatever you think fits on the spot. This was a quick mook, but you can always make anything more interesting by adding more detailed Aspects or a stunt. Either way, don't feel like you need to write every detail of an NPC.

You can balance the tactical and engaging fights by just really going crazy with your Boosts. Remember that Boosts are Aspects, and ALL Aspects are valid for compels. In one of my games, Pokemon actually, someone with a Doduo rolled Athletics/Speed to move several zones and rolled a flat 0. Failure with Style. So he got the Boost "Tripped" and I instantly Compeled it (and since the Boost had a Free Invoke for the GM, he wouldn't have gotten a Fate Point for Accepting it, but could still spend one to Refuse) and removed the Doduo's ability to fly to certain zones for the encounter. The party then instead of attacking the enemy Wild Pokemon had a dance-off. I poo poo you not.

And then there was another game that had a combat we just finished...

mistaya posted:

I think our dice-bot is secretly watching the game because it always seems to come up with the perfect roll for the story. I only get good rolls for NPCs when it'd drive the story in most satisfying direction. Or really bad ones when it's downright hilarious.

Recently my DMPC Warden failed a +2 difficulty roll (he got a 0) on kicking an evil magic skull (it was spitting out snakes) into the river, so I had it land in their getaway boat instead. Failing in Fate can be much more fun than succeeding sometimes.

That wasn't a proper Compel or anything, but it followed the old mindset that the * World games use: Failures don't mean nothing happened. Failures means something bad happens. Games feel tactical, or at least to me, when the players feel like they have choices and have to deal with unusual circumstances. It's way more interesting this way instead of constantly rolling Attacks and Blocks and nothing else in combat.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 1, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

You can balance the tactical and engaging fights by just really going crazy with your Boosts. Remember that Boosts are Aspects, and ALL Aspects are valid for compels. In one of my games, Pokemon actually, someone with a Doduo rolled Athletics/Speed to move several zones and rolled a flat 0. Failure with Style. So he got the Boost "Tripped" and I instantly Compeled it (and since the Boost had a Free Invoke for the GM, he wouldn't have gotten a Fate Point for Accepting it, but could still spend one to Refuse) and removed the Doduo's ability to fly to certain zones for the encounter. The party then instead of attacking the enemy Wild Pokemon had a dance-off. I poo poo you not.

You just can't let that go, can you? Poor DoDo...two heads, as it happens are not better than one.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Krysmphoenix posted:

That wasn't a proper Compel or anything, but it followed the old mindset that the * World games use: Failures don't mean nothing happened. Failures means something bad happens. Games feel tactical, or at least to me, when the players feel like they have choices and have to deal with unusual circumstances. It's way more interesting this way instead of constantly rolling Attacks and Blocks and nothing else in combat.

Fortunately core has embraced this idea too - only one of the listed consequences for failure is "it didn't work". Success at serious cost :getin:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Golden Bee posted:

I would offer players a Fate Point if they lose a encounter, and say you're tagging the villain's "Not Til I'm Ready!" aspect.
(It's the same, mechanically, as asking them to concede a contest without taking consequences).
Honestly, the encounters he run aren't actually hard to win. Its just that usually there are fifteen things going on at once and usually makes it hard to defeat someone who requires a full investment of resources to defeat.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I do like the idea, Bee, and will keep it in mind for the future. Keeping track of all the options available to a player or gm in fate is perhaps the thing I struggle with the most.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Honestly, the encounters he run aren't actually hard to win. Its just that usually there are fifteen things going on at once and usually makes it hard to defeat someone who requires a full investment of resources to defeat.

My players are their own worst enemies and fate makes it extremely easy to run that against them. Plus if there's a fight I try to make sure we're fighting over objectives on both sides other than just beat up the other guy. Again, fate makes that easy to set up & execute

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah, fighting for a goal is so much more interesting. After so much ApocWorld, I have trouble caring about combat for its own sake. In AW, there's not even really a combat move for just hurting someone, though people try to use Aggro for it sometimes. Seize and Aggro are both about getting what you want from someone and being willing to hurt them to get it.

Anyway, with the rules for conceding conflicts (which are great), Fate does seem to reinforce fighting-to-get-what-you-want, which I'm pretty into.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Evil Sagan posted:

So has anyone here had any experience running FATE as a fantasy adventure game along the lines of D&D's heritage? I've got a bug in my rear end to run another fantasy game, but I've really grown to dislike the D&D skill system and I'd like to focus less on combat. I feel like the aspects that make up FATE might be a good alternative, but I'm coming from almost no experience with the system itself. Am I looking at trying to stuff a square peg in a round hole here?

FATE Freeport is basically D&D + FAE, so you might want to check that out.

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

FATE Freeport is basically D&D + FAE, so you might want to check that out.

Is there a place where I can actually purchase a pdf of this, since I didn't back the kickstarter? People keep bringing up FATE Freeport, but I can't find anywhere to buy it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
What gets me is my players have managed to write characters that are hilariously bad at figuring out what other people want. They'd completely stomp if I just ran a series of fights, or if they were on the offensive with a clear objective of their own, but put them up against *other people's goals* and they fall apart completely. It's great and I love them for it.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

TheDemon posted:

What gets me is my players have managed to write characters that are hilariously bad at figuring out what other people want. They'd completely stomp if I just ran a series of fights, or if they were on the offensive with a clear objective of their own, but put them up against *other people's goals* and they fall apart completely. It's great and I love them for it.

Playing shitwreckers who just stumble around comically in anything outside a fight is my favorite thing.

Those GMs thought they were punishing my power gaming, but who loved every minute while everything was going wrong? (I did)

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

that ostrich posted:

Is there a place where I can actually purchase a pdf of this, since I didn't back the kickstarter? People keep bringing up FATE Freeport, but I can't find anywhere to buy it.

Not yet, but it will be made available eventually--probably after it's been cleaned up/edited a bit to make it presentable for publication. I don't know what Evil Hat's schedule looks like right now but I'd guess sometime early next year.

VVVVV Or them, maybe. I haven't been paying close-enough attention to the ins and outs.

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 2, 2013

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Everything Counts posted:

Not yet, but it will be made available eventually--probably after it's been cleaned up/edited a bit to make it presentable for publication. I don't know what Evil Hat's schedule looks like right now but I'd guess sometime early next year.

Is Evil Hat involved in the production of Fate Freeport? I thought it was a Green Ronin Publishing dealie.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I had a wild idea for a game yesterday, where the players were comically eeeevil supervillains working to conquer/destroy/conquer then destroy the world. The tone would be Austin Powers/TheSwain's Mastermind flash animations. I figure that Fate Accelerated would work nicely for this, but I was wondering how you could implement having hordes of minions to do trivial poo poo. I was thinking that each player has a Minion Pool; you can spend the pool to give bonuses to things. It'd have two caveats: Once you're out, you're out for the scene (need to let HR do its thing, dole out pensions, pay medical bills, send fruit baskets to the families of the deceased, etc)

The second would be that you can't gain more than +3 on a single roll (at that point you can't do any better throwing fodder at the problem). I don't have much experience with FAE so I've no idea if this'd work or not. The alternate idea was each player'd get a special Aspect for their minions, showing what they're good at and what type they are (so a supervillain with a necromancy gimmick who's a caretaker at an old folks home might have Night Of The Nearly Dead).

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

So here's a question that's been on the back of my mind for a while. FAE Freeport has Consumable Items, which as you might suspect are items you use and are then spent. Nowhere does it say if consumable items can be replenished somehow, like Dresden Potions could. This brings up an interesting question because of the following quote:

Freeport Consumable Items posted:

Consumable items come in both major and minor variations. They are single-use items, like potions, oils, scrolls, and the like. A minor consumable item has an effect equivalent to a stunt, while a major consumable item can be roughly twice as powerful. A minor consumable item is destroyed or rendered mundane after using it, but has no other cost. A major consumable item also costs a fate point to use.

Does this mean major consumable items are permanently lost after using them, or are they meant to refresh somehow?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So do either of them cost a point of Refresh/use one of your free stunts? Because if they don't then it would make sense to treat them like boosts, just disposable bonuses that you have to get back instead of just refilling automatically.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Kwyndig posted:

So do either of them cost a point of Refresh/use one of your free stunts? Because if they don't then it would make sense to treat them like boosts, just disposable bonuses that you have to get back instead of just refilling automatically.

Minor Magic Items are basically Gear Aspects.
Minor Consumables are basically one use stunts.
Major Magic Items are Gear Aspects + a Stunt that costs a FP to use for a scene.
Major Consumables are one use double-power stunts that cost a FP to use.

It seems like they're intended to be handed out as the plot demands.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 3, 2013

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I interviewed Mike Olson, the guy behind Strange FATE, and the upcoming Atomic Robo RPG http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2013/10/interview/interview-with-mike-olson-strange-fate-and-atomic-robo-rpg-designer/

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.

clockworkjoe posted:

I interviewed Mike Olson, the guy behind Strange FATE, and the upcoming Atomic Robo RPG http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2013/10/interview/interview-with-mike-olson-strange-fate-and-atomic-robo-rpg-designer/

He is also now writing for Jadepunk. Fun stuff coming in the near future.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I have a Dresden Files RPG question.

Counterspells. So I roll Lore to figure out how much power, possibly with a difficulty based on an enemy's skill, summon up that power and take stress subject to my Conviction, and then roll Discipline to control that power. Do I also use the Discipline roll as an attack roll when counterspelling, and if so against what? The example in the book does not specify a difficulty for the attack portion of the Discipline roll, but the non-example text says to roll it like I would roll an attack spell, so I am lost as to what I actually do.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The way I've always thought of Counterspells is that rather than Attacks, they are Blocks against the hostile spell's Power instead of Control.

So for a Counterspell, you need to call up as many Power shifts as needed, and the Control/Discipline roll is only there to make sure you roll above your Power or else you take Backlash/Fallout. If your Power of the Counterspell exceeds the hostile spell's Power, you successfully negate it and are safe from harm. Your Control/Discipline never is compared against the hostile spell's Control/Discipline, only Power vs Power.

The Lore check is only there for the player to know exactly how much Power they need to call up, otherwise they have to call up Power having no idea what they need to defend against. Aim too high, and you risk Backlash/Fallout. Aim too low, and you just flat out fail no matter what because your Power wasn't high enough to do anything. If you pass the Lore check, you don't have to worry about how going too high or low, and can even decide if it's even worth your time.

What the Counterspell rules leave out is if you completely fail to negate the hostile spell, and you are at the mercy of an incoming fireball you tried to put out instead of dodging. The best to ways of handling that is if your sudden Counterspell fails, you have to Block using no skill, so at +0 (+fudge if the GM wishes), or to simply say it's impossible to use a Counterspell against an Attack coming at you in an exchange and to leave it to trying to dispel static effects.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

I had a great FATE session last night and felt like sharing something I just figured out. So you've got a Mental Stress Track and a Physical Stress Track, but only one set of Consequences. They point this out in the book, but most of their examples are like "you can run a debate as a Mental conflict," so I never realized that you can mix the two. You can switch up Physical and Mental attacks in the same conflict! (This is probably old hat to FATE experts, but it's new to me)

So we're in this boss fight and we're getting creamed. Our characters are detectives without a lot of combat skills. The minions are down but the "boss," she's kicking our asses. We're almost out of resources and clearly overmatched. She's taken one Consequence, a gunshot, but her defenses are so high... so my talkative partner decides to play to his strengths: he pulls out the "it's over, you've lost, give it up" line and rolls Rapport. He nails his roll, she blows her defense, it's a six shift hit and she can't soak it because of the earlier gunshot. She gets one-shotted by a mental "attack." We win the fight.

We totally softened her up with violence and took her down with words. I love this system!

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

you must whip it.

Scrape posted:

We totally softened her up with violence and took her down with words. I love this system!

It is great isn't it? I adore moments like these where some facet of this system suddenly becomes clear. The best part is it keeps happening. Things that the creator and crew take for granted we learn slowly over time.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah, definitely. It's such a great system for genre emulation because of it. It really felt like the climax of a movie, more so than any rpg battle I've played. I was really happy that we figured out that trick and won the battle with some bluffing and fast-talk. It was just perfect for the campaign and the established characters.

Anyway, some questions for the thread: I'm fiddling with a Dark Sun conversion for FATE (it should be obvious by now, but I'm pretty enamoured of this game). What do you guys think:
1. Psionics are Stunts, this makes sense right?
2. I want survival to be a big deal, of course. Is it worth making a Stress Track for it, or is that too much? I'm thinking it would be the fun sort of bookkeeping. Like, desert travel can deal Survival Stress, which clears out when you rest and restock at a settlement. If it fills up, you get a Consequence like Dehydrated, Exhausted, or Starving.
3. How do I handle Defiling magic? This has me a little stumped.
4. Lastly,character generation. Currently, players choose a Race and archetype (Class) and write an Aspect based on each, then do the whole "write down your first adventure" to finish. Cool, or unneccessary? I want to maintain that D&D feel of classes and roles.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Scrape posted:

Anyway, some questions for the thread: I'm fiddling with a Dark Sun conversion for FATE (it should be obvious by now, but I'm pretty enamoured of this game). What do you guys think:
1. Psionics are Stunts, this makes sense right?
2. I want survival to be a big deal, of course. Is it worth making a Stress Track for it, or is that too much? I'm thinking it would be the fun sort of bookkeeping. Like, desert travel can deal Survival Stress, which clears out when you rest and restock at a settlement. If it fills up, you get a Consequence like Dehydrated, Exhausted, or Starving.
3. How do I handle Defiling magic? This has me a little stumped.
4. Lastly,character generation. Currently, players choose a Race and archetype (Class) and write an Aspect based on each, then do the whole "write down your first adventure" to finish. Cool, or unneccessary? I want to maintain that D&D feel of classes and roles.

Quick opinions on these!

1. The very concept of the bronze rule (or was it the FATE fractal? I always forget) is that anything can be modeled by any combination of mechanical elements. Another way of saying this is that, in FATE, when you have an element in the fiction, it shouldn't have a direct correspondence with an element of the mechanics. Psionics are whatever makes sense for them to be in any given situation: stunts, aspects, stress tracks, etc.

2. I like it. Then maybe you can give special attack or defend actions to skills like Survival, Lore, Physique, etc. and have survival conflicts between, say, a trades caravan and a pursuing band of raiders. Or a conflict between the party in the desert and the Desert, who has its own skills (see above; FATE fractal!). Survival conflicts :black101:

3. Maybe something like this? Every magical action (or the first by a single participant in a conflict), in addition to its intended effect, also counts as a Create Advantage action that necessarily creates a scene aspect of defilement (or terrain, living beings, etc). The result of the roll for the magical action is used for the implicit Create Advantage roll.

4. I think the vanilla single High Concept aspect works wonderfully well for race+class combinations. If you go for race and class as separate aspects, what you're doing in my opinion is giving race a much stronger role to play in the character's life than before (since class tends to dominate High Concepts, in my experience). I'm not too experienced in Dark Sun, but if I recall correctly, racial cultures are much more important in the setting than regular old D&D, right? If so, this could work really well thematically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Scrape posted:

so my talkative partner decides to play to his strengths: he pulls out the "it's over, you've lost, give it up" line and rolls Rapport.

Actually, rapport is for creating advantages. Only Provoke is used for social attacks (just like Empathy is used for social defense).

I agree that mixing Social/Physical combat is great for genre emulation. The X-Men defeat a lot of villains through a mix of lasers and argumentation.