Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Glazius posted:

One of the things I like about the toolkit is replacing the static weapon and armor bonuses in some other FATE games with weapon and armor dice, which substitute in for FATE dice and count double when they come up +. I think you could expand that idea to all kinds of special effects, positive and negative.

Weapon and armor dice are neat, but so are the floors and ceilings as a different optional rule, where a weapon hit does a minimum amount of shifts (instead of adding on) and armor caps the number of shifts you can take in one hit. That models some things (like more realistic guns) a lot better than the old static bonuses did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I wouldn't say absurdly, the base dice are MSRP 15 bucks for 12 dice. That's a little pricey, yeah, but since you get enough dice for 3 people to play and have their own dice for that price it's roughly equivalent to a premium die set from Chessex for like D&D on the cost per person standpoint.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Timeworks, part of Fate Worlds Volume 2, Worlds in Shadow.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey I'm going to run a Fate game in IRC in like ten minutes... Well, more precisely we're going to build characters and stuff. :)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So do either of them cost a point of Refresh/use one of your free stunts? Because if they don't then it would make sense to treat them like boosts, just disposable bonuses that you have to get back instead of just refilling automatically.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Scrape posted:

Hard postapocalyptic was one thought I had. I thought Legends of Anglerre and Ehdrigor were both non-tolkien fantasy but maybe I'm wrong; I know little of either.

What about cyberpunk espionage? Like "not" Shadowrun, has that been done?

Ehdrigor is definitely non-Tolkien fantasy. It's hard to describe, but it draws parallels to some Native American belief structures.

LoA is totally Tolkien derivative fantasy though, it's got elves and 'little people' and stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just off the top of my head:

When you fuse with a demon/angel/hoobajoob, you get three things:
• An Aspect related to the creature you're fused to.
• A power/stunt that the creature grants you.
• A +2 to a specific skill.

What would the downside to being bound be? Apart from whatever compel you can get off the demon's aspect?

Well that sounds like it should cost at least a point or more of Refresh, leaving you less able to resist the influence of the supernatural creature.

Maybe throw in a free compel once a session?

Edit: But I'm not a fan of the latter mechanic.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 20, 2013

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So I was reading Venture City today and it seems pretty decent, has anyone actually run it or used the super powers rules though?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So is the PDF actually available for that now and if so, how is it?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Quick question: does the Diaspora book include its own FATE-variant of the core rules, or will I need to know core before diving into Diaspora? Worse-yet, will I need some older version of FATE in order to play?

Diaspora is a self contained book, but it is an older version of FATE than Core.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've been considering putting together a Fate implementation for the old TSR setting Star*Drive and am pondering which version of Fate to use, for those unfamiliar with the setting it features a bunch of playable aliens, cybernetics, and psionic powers. Accelerated is probably too light and while Dresden's powers and creatures rules would work they are both older and kind of unbalanced. Core is doable but a lot of work (not that I really mind that) but I've been looking at Atomic Robo recently and wondering if things like mega stunts would work better for some of the character concepts.

Basically, I'm not really familiar enough with AR to do that kind of hack and was wondering if people with more experience with it could point out any problems with it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think it would be that bad to mix them as long as things are clear and roles are defined. Honestly there isn't a big difference between the two except that IIs have better physical performance and tend to have one note backgrounds. Once the armor is on though that evens out for the most part.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's a pretty good conversion. It avoids most of the fiddly mess of Eclipse Phase's original ruleset while still keeping a lot of the feel of the game. There's still a lot of stuff to keep track of with Morphs, but you don't end up taking a half dozen stunts or anything overcomplicated like that. They rebalanced some of the Psi sleights but only to make them fit how powerful in the narrative they are in Fate compared to EP. Combat is thankfully not a mess, Gear Stunts are present but not overbearing, and some of the more overpowered weapons, like plasma beams, are actually presented in a way that is sane for the system.

There's even a skill comparison chart in the back for converting existing characters.

You still need a copy of Fate Core to play, but since that's PWYW I'm assuming anybody who's reading this thread already has it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Morphs have traits which are a thing in Transhumanity's Fate that basically count as permissions to do things out of the ordinary, but don't really give you a mechanical advantage. Traits are things like Access Jacks, Natural Weapons, Cyberbrain, etc.

Morphs also have up to two Aspects, the first Aspect is basically the name of the Morph with maybe a modifier like Old Flat or Bulky Octomorph and is roughly equivalent to a High Concept, while the second one is usually related to an unusual physical or mental feature and can (but doesn't have to) function as a trouble Aspect.

Particularly powerful Morphs like Furies and Reapers do have a handful of stunts, but most Morphs have between zero and three. These stunts do of course affect the Refresh cost to sleeve into one, although Refresh costs are fairly low since Morphs are still considered somewhat temporary possessions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm guessing the main reason they didn't reprint the content of either book is because it's not intended to be a standalone book, in the initial Kickstarter it was billed as a Fate conversion guide.

That doesn't entirely explain not including at least the setting overview, but it does explain the lack of Fate Core rules.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fate Core is a slightly different ruleset, everything you need for Dresden is in the Dresden books.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The real issue with magic is how you want to handle it thematically. Like I wouldn't want to port a straight up Vancian or spell point system into Fate. There are ways to do it, but I play Fate to get away from that kind of bookkeeping.

That said, even though the math is a little off Dresden is still a good place to start for building a spell based magic system, for anything else I'd check the Toolkit and then mine Fate Worlds for ideas/mechanics you can appropriate/modify.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You know, I haven't even read it yet. I should do something about that.

A new World of Adventure came out today: Andromeda. It's classic SF and has special rules for use with the Deck of Fate (although there's a chart so you don't need the cards). If you've got a group that likes Asimov et al I'd give it a recommendation.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They meant :filez:

Speaking of Fate Accelerated games though, you can get the Accelerated version of Rockalypse as a PWYW title right now. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I like the premise enough that I backed it on Kickstarter for the Fate Core version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

More fights between Refreshes. If your players are uncertain when they'll get Fate Points back, they're less likely to use them on rolls. Another option is give your bad guys appropriate stunts, so like they're good at attacking in a specific way but not at defending or attacking in other ways. Have them use moves that don't do stress, but that inflict penalties to defense instead, like say the bad guy has a glue gun and every time you get hit you slow down, giving you a stacking -1 penalty to Athletics.