Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've been running DFRPG:New Orleans here for the past... year and 6-7 months now so if there's anything specific about that system you need to know ask away.

Nawlins is a full party of Wizards, and yeah when doing Wizards you need to take some things into account. I came up with a few house rules about a year in to reduce their scaling slightly (Removed focus items entirely as they just break the game. Made Refinements unstackable so you have to broaden your magic when you get points instead of just Fireball, Fireball+, Fireball++)

Basically, Magic Items/Potions are great and make for really interesting scenes, so giving the wizards more magic items and removing the focus items (which are just stat sticks no one was bothering to describe anyway) has fixed a lot of things.

For my game specifically I tend to make them actually run through the severe consequence on anything (even mooks) they want to kill dead. This isn't something I'd recommend for a less ridiculously powerful party though.

A lot of people have jumped ship to Core and the new splats but old DFRPG is still a great system for running the actual Dresden setting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

petrol blue posted:

I swear, NPCs average a -3.

Yours too? :suicide:

I think our dice-bot is secretly watching the game because it always seems to come up with the perfect roll for the story. I only get good rolls for NPCs when it'd drive the story in most satisfying direction. Or really bad ones when it's downright hilarious.

Recently my DMPC Warden failed a +2 difficulty roll (he got a 0) on kicking an evil magic skull (it was spitting out snakes) into the river, so I had it land in their getaway boat instead. Failing in Fate can be much more fun than succeeding sometimes.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

For enemy statting, you should want the enemy's defense stat (athletics or whatever else) to be very close to the party's attack stats. So if you have 3 PC's with +5 guns, your mooks should have +4 athletics (or +3 if you want them to blow up real quick) your regular bad guys should have +5, and your Big Bad should have +6 (probably augmented by stunts or other abilities.)

Fudge tends to roll 0, +1, or -1 the vast majority of the time. Take that into account when you're statting your baddies because it doesn't matter if they should probably only have +2 athletics if you were being realistic, if your PC's are rolling at +5 anything with a +2 is going to be slaughtered indiscriminately. You have to kinda inflate it for any real contest.

The other thing to remember is the zone should be more interesting than a white room. Have stage hazards and limitations, (darkness, civilians, walls, "On fire", incoming law enforcement etc) so that your PC's can't just spend every round attacking and combat feels much more like an action movie and less like a crunchy numbers game. Throwing in a time limit every now and again is a good change of pace too.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Depending on how important that information she can give you is, you may even want to run it as a social/mental conflict with multiple rolls to "take out" her mental stress boxes (which she gets to defend against, and she would get to make her own attack rolls to try to take you out by making you go away and leave her alone.)

There's multiple ways to do something like that encounter, and none of them are wrong. The idea is to use the method that makes the most sense. If she's a key witness identifying a murderer, the conflict is much more important and should be harder than say, trying to find out where Slimy Joe hangs out on Friday nights. Use the method that makes the most sense for the gravity of the scene.