Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Evil Sagan posted:

So has anyone here had any experience running FATE as a fantasy adventure game along the lines of D&D's heritage? I've got a bug in my rear end to run another fantasy game, but I've really grown to dislike the D&D skill system and I'd like to focus less on combat. I feel like the aspects that make up FATE might be a good alternative, but I'm coming from almost no experience with the system itself. Am I looking at trying to stuff a square peg in a round hole here?

FATE Freeport is basically D&D + FAE, so you might want to check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

So do either of them cost a point of Refresh/use one of your free stunts? Because if they don't then it would make sense to treat them like boosts, just disposable bonuses that you have to get back instead of just refilling automatically.

Minor Magic Items are basically Gear Aspects.
Minor Consumables are basically one use stunts.
Major Magic Items are Gear Aspects + a Stunt that costs a FP to use for a scene.
Major Consumables are one use double-power stunts that cost a FP to use.

It seems like they're intended to be handed out as the plot demands.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 3, 2013

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

It's got a magic system that's the closest FATE gets to a traditional one (i.e. it's very D&D-ish). If I recall correctly it's divided in magic schools, with the character buying stunts that grant access to something like 3 individual spells each. Folks are always after magic subsystems for FATE, so this can interest a lot of people.

The spellcaster stunts are two schools/two spells or one school/three spells (and there's an additional stunt to take three more spells).