Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

dwarf74 posted:

Great OP. I feel like a sucker for not getting the Fate Worlds book(s) in hardcover, now.

There was a hardcover option? I thought only Core itself got hardcover and the Toolkit and Worlds books were paperback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

For those of you who missed the Kickstarter, the Toolkit, both Worlds books, and Strange Tales of the Century are up on DriveThru now.

Awesome news. I know there was one goon in the old thread who was really looking forward to the toolkit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

petrol blue posted:

e: Also, would it be worth linking to some blank dice on the OP, given fate dice aren't something most people have laying about and 'proper' ones are priced absurdly?

The new Evil Hat-made fate dice are either available for purchase now or will be very soon, they're only $15 for 3 sets of dice. Not bad at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MadScientistWorking posted:

Actually they are available now but you're slightly wrong. I don't remember the reason why but the Dresdon Files dice are $18. Honestly they are pretty good dice for the price.

Dresden Dice are slightly more expensive to pay for the license.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davin Valkri posted:

You guys too? I thought I was the only one krysmphoenix's dicebot hated! :glomp:

Wanna know the scary thing? I technically house Krysm-bot in my home now that krysmphoenix is my housemate. I have that spiteful chaos-dice-god in my house :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OmanyteJackson posted:

For the life of me, I'm having a hard time rapping my head around aspects. Are there other ways to invoke aspects other than spending fate points? and do aspects do other things then give you a +2 to a roll?

Well, first off, aspects help define the fiction. I'll go ahead and quote from the Fate Core book:

Fate Core page 59 posted:

[L]ots of Fate characters might have a high Fight skill, but only Landon is a Disciple of the Ivory Shroud. When his path as a disciple comes into play, or the Ivory Shroud takes action, it gives the game a personal touch that it wouldn't have had otherwise.

So character aspects can have a huge impact on what is and isn't narrative true in your game world.

In terms of mechanics, aspects can be invoked to give yourself a +2, give another player of +2 if its reasonable that your aspect can help them, or add +2 to existing opposition. You can also invoke an aspect to just let you reroll your dice, taking the reroll means that you run the risk of rolling lower than you did the first time. My general rule of thumb is that I'll only reroll if I rolled a -4 or -3.

Not all invocations cost a Fate Point. If you succeed on a "Create Advantage" roll, the aspect you create can be invoked once for free, either by yourself or another player. If you succeed with style, you get two free invocations. You also get a free invoke on any consequences you inflict on an enemy. If you get a free invoke on something, you can still spend a Fate Point on that aspect to get a double bonus; either in the form of a straight +4, or something like 'use the free invoke for a reroll, the reroll sucks, so spend a Fate Point on the same aspect to take a +2'

Hope that helps!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blasphemeral posted:

I was going to reply "invoking for effect," but I think they stopped calling it that in Core. There's still an analog to that, though, right?

"Invoking for effect" is now just a compel that's player initiated.

Fate Core page 294 posted:

You might have seen player-driven compels referred to as "invoking for effect." We thought it was clearer to just call it a compel, no matter who initiates it."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

You can balance the tactical and engaging fights by just really going crazy with your Boosts. Remember that Boosts are Aspects, and ALL Aspects are valid for compels. In one of my games, Pokemon actually, someone with a Doduo rolled Athletics/Speed to move several zones and rolled a flat 0. Failure with Style. So he got the Boost "Tripped" and I instantly Compeled it (and since the Boost had a Free Invoke for the GM, he wouldn't have gotten a Fate Point for Accepting it, but could still spend one to Refuse) and removed the Doduo's ability to fly to certain zones for the encounter. The party then instead of attacking the enemy Wild Pokemon had a dance-off. I poo poo you not.

You just can't let that go, can you? Poor DoDo...two heads, as it happens are not better than one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Found the Fate Freeport Companion in the wild. Looks pretty sweet, a wee bit slimmer than I had expected, but this is my first Freeport product so I don't know what the rest of the books are like.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oooh, that was actually my game! Yeah, in addition to the "everyone succeeds" thing, the big thing I tied to transformation was that being in human mode gave you a bonus to talky stuff with civilians (in my setting, Power Rangers were kinda feared due to their immense power and tendency to blow up parts of the city) and being stealthy (because MOTWs would be looking for spandex-clad heroes, not a couple of teens in red and blue t-shirts), but if you entered into any combat with anything other than mooks while untransformed you would quickly get your poo poo tossed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Golden Bee posted:

Ask them what they do. Fate characters are durable but there's no reason not to DROP weapons for them if they don't have anything, or ask them leading questions ("What weapon do you always keep on you?" etc).

Yeah, seconding this advice. When in doubt, take a page from Dungeon World and ask your players "What do you do" and make them say something beyond "I attack". Some players will take to it more easily than others, when I was introducing my IRL group to a more RP heavy game as a break from D&D 4e I just had to accept that "I leap across the room swinging my sword" is at least better than "I roll my attack".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I posted in the TG Kickstarter thread a couple days ago, but figured it's worth saying here too...got my copy of Unwritten (the Myst universe RPG). It's really fascinating to have an RPG other than Golden Sky Stories that's pretty explicitly non violent. There's a couple sidebars on how to deal with violent actions, but there's no Attack actions and no Stress Tracks. My only concern is that the game is pretty heavily mystery/puzzle based, and I can foresee some cognitive dissonance between having a puzzle that either doesn't actually exist in a solvable form...or making an actual puzzle that the players could solve easily but the characters could end up failing at.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of getting Fate based stuff in the mail, today I got my copy of Paranet Papers. And here I thought that wasn't slated to hit until June.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

So dish. How is it?

Gorgeous and heavy. If I can steal a snarky comment from the board games thread, it has an excellent weight-to-dollar value.

To be completely honest, after flipping through the PDF I got with my preorder, this volume isn't exactly something I'm probably going to get a lot of use out of, as I'm much more fond of building my own settings rather than setting a game in a pre-generated city...but for those who want a pre-gen city, this book has you well covered. I'm much more of a fan of getting a whole box of loose bits that I can bash together Lego style, and thankfully there is a bit of that in there. There's a Roadtripping chapter that has some information on stuff in the Faerie Ways as well as landmarks scattered around the US, much more useful for my style of game. New spellcasting mechanics include rules for Sponsorship (like Harry's Winter Knight powers), Soulfire, using magic in the Nevernever, and some simplified Thaumaturgy. The addendums has a whole host of more beasties to fight and stat blocks for book characters.

My only real complaint though is that the book is already out of date...in terms of the Dresden Series, it only has content up through Changes, with a few hints of the organization setup in Ghost Story. There's been two more books since then, and while I realize that they have to cap the content at some point, its a bit frustrating to already be behind the curve again.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 18, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Fate variants, I'm taking signups for an Unwritten game over here, if anyone is interested in playing or even just following along. I'm excited to see how a non-combat tabletop game flows!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Are the Patreon adventure setting book things worth picking up at retail? My FLGS has 4 or 5 of the little Accelerated-sized books and I'm a sucker for setting ideas and the like.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like the Fate More kickstarter goodies are shipping out (with the exception of Worlds Take Flight, which had a printing defect). I got my copy of Worlds Rise Up today. I love me a good setting book...even if I never end up using said setting in my own games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

unseenlibrarian posted:

Did you get a notification first, or should I just start checking my mail on the regular? (Admittedly, my physical books were Majestic 12 and Bubblegumshoe, so may be coming in a later wave or something.)

I got no notification; just a random parcel in the mail box today

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If Dresden Accelerated is gonna be anything like regular Fate Accelerated, it'll be dirt cheap to acquire when it comes out anyway

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blasphemeral posted:

There's certainly going to be licensing fees. Butcher's no slouch and Hicks is his buddy. Just look at the price hike on the Dresden-branded Fate Dice. They were like $2 more than the others.

Yeah, with regular FAE being $5, I expect Dresden Accelerated to be $7-$10

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

FAE is $5 because it's designed as an entry-level pamphlet-style book that is being printed at-cost to get people interested in FATE as a "brand." It seems unlikely that a full game licensing a popular literary universe is going to be $7-10 just because it happens to use FAE.

Oh; I thought Dresden Acclerated was going to be similarly pamphlet-sized and priced low.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

AFAIK they haven't said anything more about its projected size since they announced it in 2014 and said "we figure we’re looking at a 160-240 page 6"x9" full color softcover." For reference, FAE is 50 pages, and Core is 300.

The point is that FAE was sold at-cost to get people to get in to Fate, and DF:AE is unlikely to be sold at cost (even if it did, that cost will be a lot more expensive).

Looks like I just haven't been paying a whole lot of attention then!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Texibus posted:

Is there something supplemental I can use and not throw them 45 more dollars?

I'd say just run Dresden using the iteration of Fate in the Your Story book; it still plays fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mitama posted:

Looks like a preview of Dresden Files Accelerated is out to Fate Core backers. Only a few years late!

Is it late? I thought late 2016-early 2017 was always the projected timeframe

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Whatever happened to the second Fate More Kickstarter that was supposed to run in late 2016? Ostensibly it was going to help fund more Toolkit books, but I guess they have enough cash to just start publishing them, given the recent release of the Adversary toolkit?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New FATE Accessories Kickstarter. Dice and fate point tokens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Terratina posted:

No international shipping for the kickstarter, boo.

They did say that once the campaign concludes, they'll be getting them in to their normal distribution; so they'll be available then

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Fate Accessories Kickstarter has rejiggered a little bit; the blue fate point tokens now unlock at the base funding goal instead of being a stretch, and the first few stretch goals are the "elemental" layered dice

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Everything Counts posted:

The newest FATE Kickstarter for Fate of Cthulhu debuted yesterday and has already met its funding goal. If you've ever wanted to play a game of 'What if Cthulhu was more like Skynet?' here's your chance.
Stretch goals will add more terrible timelines based on Mythos monsters.

Of note, the like....4th or 5th page of the book straight up calls out Lovecraft for being a horrific racist and antisemite. And lists some references of POC authors who have done Mythos works without those qualities. Good poo poo