Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

SavageMessiah posted:

It seems to me that just using the normal stress tracks might be fine for survival, rather than needing a specific one, especially if you are fractalizing the desert. You preparations for the journey are Create Advantage with survival or lore for things like Scavenged Supplies, Local Guide, I Know This Land, etc. You can use those to defend against physical/mental attacks by the desert that would lead to consequences like Dehydrated, Sun-mad, etc.

I'd do this, but also have a shared, singular Provisions stress track that you could shunt damage off to, letting it absorb stress and consequences that would otherwise hit your party. It gives a presence to the looming danger of being caught out in the desert with limited supplies. Heal the track by trading, taking, or finding. Honestly, I'd probably do this with any FATE D&D game, because the logistics of being crazy people in the wilderness (or the desert, or in Ravenloft, or traveling the planes) is part of the appeal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

I don't play with a stress track at all, just consequences, and it doesn't imbalance anything. I'm sure that just having a single stress track in FATE would be fine. The engine is robust.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Heliotrope posted:

How does that work? Do successful attacks just deal consequences?

Yup. Depending on how much stress you inflict, you inflict a different consequence. It's mechanically just like starting with no stress boxes. In compensation for not having the buffer of a track, you first have to create an advantage on someone before you can inflict Stress - 'Backed into a Corner', 'Off Balance', 'Got The Jump On Them', etc. Works pretty well for my group.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Dodge Charms posted:

Sounds very cool!

Also sounds pretty similar to the Savage World's "Shaken" thing... in that, you inflict a box of damage only if the target is already Shaken, and Shaken resets every turn.

Do you have any "critical hit" provision, where someone can inflict such an awesome hit that it goes straight to Consequences? Like a damage threshold?

Do you give extra Consequence boxes for high Physique / Will / etc.?

(Do Mooks just have normal stress boxes?)

If someone Creates an Advantage with style, I'll let them carry that through to a hit. It's worked out so far, but I'm still cautious with the idea.

I'll allow extra Consequences for high Physique/Will/etc., or not, depending on what skills I use. Usually I do.

I do mooks completely differently than FATE suggests. Nobodies have a single mild consequence, so get aced easy. Your henchmen get a mild and a medium. Your big bads get all three. If there's a bunch of mooks, I use the Scale rules to represent that, and they'll have at least two consequences to knock out.

MadRhetoric posted:

So the Swashbuckling/Kriegzepplin Valkyrie rules? What's the average combat length for your group?

Toolkit stole my idea, man. Though I'm sure I saw it on a blog awhile back, which is why I picked it up. But yeah, the last time we've had a big fight, it was against hordes of hungry ghosts in a post-apocalyptic tenement, which skews things. The combat lasted most of the session, about three hours or so, but there were probably eight or so discrete combats within that, along with in-between banter and a whole lot of running and jumping. I'd say that each one of those lasted maybe fifteen minutes?

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Make it so that when they prepare themselves for a 'run, either a formal or informal one, they can bank free invokes for their equipment. Just a specialized use of the Create an Advantage action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

It's totally fine to just have a standard Member of the Mouse Guard aspect (either a campaign aspect, or just one that's on everyone's sheet) for everyone to draw on, then ask for a personal high concept that covers their unique concept. Kenzie is the Sagacious Voice of Reason, Saxon is the Hot-Headed Master Swordmouse, Lieam is the Young But Eager Recruit, Celanawe is the Grizzled Oldfur of Legend.