Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
That sounds like a recipe for players needing to alpha strike and engage in all sort of groggy conflict avoidance.

...then again, my experience with FATE is Dresden and its need to one-shot an entire OOOOOO[mild][mod][severe] stress track in a single attack.

Okay, maybe not the need, but the desire to.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I dunno how you reconciliate "horror" with "i hit the gribbly with a 12 stress attack for almost no mental stress. I guess you could call it Aliens style Action horror, which is a subgenre where the protagonists have the weaponry to fight back against the gribblies but are still hard pressed.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Gamedesign.txt

I thought people instinctively cringed when something was "Like X system but Y difference"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

>Two Posts away from Retirement

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Just be glad we're not back in dresden where combat was broken down to skills for fists, melee, guns, and athletics for throwing weapons.

It turned your gun guy into the mage equivalent in terms of damage and "Kill him first, he's helpless in melee"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

"The one caveat is that there's no real bonus benefit for succeeding beyond "success with style," you won't ever get "success with super-duper style" or something, but being able to lay into some guy with a +10-15 attack is standard operating procedure.

Dresden Files has a problem with causing shift inflation due to the silly numbers a wizard can throw at just about anything.

I'll admit I contributed to this problem with pure mortal overcompensation, but it seems like ARobo removes the need to regularly throw +10 Weapon:4 Area attacks around just to get things done.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, bolting a complex sub system onto FATE will do that (or any other system, for that matter)

Using dresden DID help make the cyberpunkish game feel shadowrun-esque, but in large part because, mechanically, shadowrun is a sub-system choked piece of garbage.

Edit: In ARobo, adding an Area effect to a weapon/attack is worth 1 benefit, right?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Speaking of which, re: earlier discussion in the thread:

Yes, you can totally attack mental tracks with skills other than Provoke.