Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Dodge Charms posted:

---
Have high Will and Physique grant extra mild mental and physical Consequence boxes, like how supernatural toughness works in Dresden Files RPG.

That gives you the nuance you want: a high-Physique guy will be walking around with an extra Mild Consequence or two, which makes him able to suck up more of a specific kind of Stress than the low-Physique guy.

Uh, isn't that how it works already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Dodge Charms posted:

Which version of FATE do you mean by "it"?

Because the answer ranges from "no" to "almost but not quite".

Fate Core. You get an extra mild physical or mental consequence based on a high physique or will.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Scrape posted:

Anyway, I need advice on specialized equipment.

This might be too powerful, but you could say that the party (or the Infiltration expert, say) gets to take 3 items with them. If they encounter something they can use their equipment on, they get an auto success (but not with style) and use up the equipment in question.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

TurninTrix posted:

While we're (sorta) on the subject, what's a good guideline to building encounters? I've run quite a few combat scenes that drag out longer than they should, and a few that ended way too quickly for my tastes. I'm not sure if it's just I put too many mooks in play, or too many stress boxes for each of them, since if I set them either of those too low my players just wipe the opposition off the floor with enough invokes.

I can't look at right now since I'm at work, but there is a pretty good set of guidelines in the book itself. I think it's 1 mook per player plus 1, then lieutenants count as 2 mooks and the big bads count as 3 or something like that? Adjust up or down for difficulty.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Swags posted:

Could one of you guys explain the damage system in this game to me? I've read it a few times and I don't really get it.

It helps to think of damage as being a "class-2 hit" then "doing 2 damage," to start off with.

If you have 4 stress boxes, for instance, and take a 2-shift hit, then you'd mark off the "2" stress box only. 1 is left open. Next time you take a shift-2 hit, you'd have to either take a consequence to avoid the damage or mark off the "3" stress box. If you are unable to mark off a box or take a consequence, you're taken out. Stress is automatically cleared between scenes; consequences last longer depending on their severity.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Swags posted:

That helps a ton. Thank you.

Awesome! Happy to help!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Hat just released their second Patreon campaign, The Secrets of Cats! Like Venture City Stories, it's pay what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

petrol blue posted:

Wow. That's... pretty blatantly knocking off the John Wick game, that's a little bit low.

On the other hand, I might be able to sell it to the GM running said Wick game and not have to put up with the horrible rules, so I'm not going to complain too hard!

It's not exactly a new idea.