Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Daetrin posted:

Just think of it as your dice contributing to the narrative.

I'm thinking about starting a FATE game with some of my friends soon and I was curious how well the proposed first session - where you figure out your setting and so forth - tends to go. I don't mind inventing things on the fly in general so coming up with a launching off point from level zero sounds right up my alley. But on the other hand I could very easily see it ending up being a complete hash. I know it's going to be group specific but does it go better if you come with a list of possibilities or just let it go freeform?

If it makes you feel any better, my group decided to try FAE for the first time, and someone jokingly suggested that he wanted to play a "sexy secret vampire butler", so I I wrote that on a post it note and after about 10 minutes of talking we were playing a Downton Abbey style manor house intrigue game...with vampires. I've been sold on Fate ever since that experience.

Having a system where you can something as simple as "I really want to play X character" and turn it into a playable game in such a short time is amazing. It makes it highly appealing for roleplayers like me who don't have the time to play a more involved system like D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Please tell me what Long Tetris's Aspects and Stunts were :allears:

This. I nearly spit out my drink when I read "Long Tetris Block".