Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Fate Core/Fate Accelerated Megathread: We do our own stunts and fractals.

What is Fate Core?
Fate is an indie RPG created by Fred Hicks and Rob Donahue, released as a stand-alone generic system for players and GM to build their games on. It's designed to be fast and cinematic, and is incredibly easy to adapt to whatever genre or campaign you want. It's also available in pay-what-you-want digital formats so there's no reason not to own it.

So how does it work?
Fate is basically skill-based; there are no "stats" like other RPGs have. To perform an action, you roll four Fudge dice, add your relvent skill (which is rated from +0 to +4), and look the result up on The Ladder.

Those are Fate dice. Two sides have +1, two have -1, and two are blank (zero). Rolling four Fate dice and adding the values will give you a total between +4 and -4.

The Ladder

The descriptors are there to help provide a general idea of how well your action was, or to help GMs determine difficulty. It's possible to go off the ends of the ladder, but for the most part the system lives in that -2 to +8 scale. It should also be pointed out that Fudge dice tend to average in the -1 to +1 range. This means that if you've got a +3 in a skill, you're probably going to roll results in the +3 range: skill roll results tend to be weighted more by the character's skill than by the results of the dice.

Fate characters also have stunts, which are like feats in D&D: they are ways that your character can bend or ignore certain rules, or just be better at certain things over other characters. Unlike D&D feats, however, Fate Core provides guidelines as to what a stunt can do so you can create your own stunts and be confident that it's not unbalanced.

The big thing in Fate are Aspects. Aspects are descriptive phrases (both good and bad) that describe not just characters, but items, locations, even whole campaigns. Character Aspects are things like "Ladies Man", "Thieves Guild Member in Good Standing", "Broken Arm", or "Wanted for a Crime I Didn't Commit". Think of them as a way for players to highlight things they want to see in the game. Apart from being narrative cues, Aspects can be used mechanically by spending the game's metacurrency: Fate Points. By spending a Fate Point and describing how your Aspect can help you in what you're doing, you get either a +2 to your roll or a complete reroll. To get more Fate Points, you have your Aspects work against you narratively.

Aspects can describe things other than characters; a room might be "Poorly Lit", a sword could be "Made of Elven Steel", a building might be "On The Verge Of Collapse". Players can even use their skills to create new Aspects on the fly, such as making someone "Off Balance" to make it easier for someone else to hit him.

The real strength of the system is that, because every Fate game works off the same Ladder and overall framework, and therefore the same mechanical scale, it's very easy to pull a sub-system from one Fate version and slot it into another one. Want to take the spellcasting system from the Dresden Files RPG, and put it Bulldogs? Go for it. The skills and Aspects in both games work the same way in both games.

What about Fate Accelerated Edition?
Fate Accelerated Edition (FAE) is basically "Fate lite", presenting the system in about 45 pages and designed to be played with maybe 5 minutes of setup. Instead of using a full skill list, every character has six Approaches: Careful, Clever, Flashy, Forceful, Quick, and Sneaky. When you want to perform a task, you determine how you want do it and roll that particular approach. Actions aren't specifically tied to approaches; the approach you roll is determined by how you describe your character is performing the action. If you're trying to hit an orc with your sword by just slamming him, then that's Forceful. But if you're creeping up behind him, then you'd roll using Sneaky.

And again, because it uses the same fundemental mechanics as Fate Core, you could take any Fate Core game or mechanic and play it using FAE (or vice versa). What's more, you can replace the approaches with another thematic set and the system still works. Want a trad-fantasy style game? Use Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma instead. The upcoming mecha game "Princess Drive" uses Loving, Wise, Just, Courageous, Kind, and Trusting.

Explain this whole "Fate Fractal" thing to me.
The idea of the Fate Fractal is that you can use the skill/aspect setup to model anything as a character. For example, you could model a fire as a character, giving it a "Burn" skill that it uses to attack people, and a few aspects like "Spreads Quickly" or "Extreme Heat". You could have a treasure map that "attacks" people by getting them lost or leading them into natural hazards.

The overall idea of the Fractal is that you can use the basic Fate mechanics to model anything the PCs would come in conflict with. Not just monsters or NPCs; you can model haunted houses, chase scenes, fact researching, anything. And because you can model it mechanically, the characters can interact with it mechanically, using their skills and abilities to "win" the conflict without everything just falling into a single pass/fail roll.

In other words, the Fate Fractal is 4e's skill challenges, only the Fractal actually works and can be applied to more than just trying to accomplish a task.

This sounds like a cool game for cool, attractive people. Where do I get it?
Fate Core and FAE are available in both hardcopy and PDF/eReader formats.

The hardcopy for Fate Core is $25 and FAE is only $5, and both come with the digital copies when you buy them at Evil Hat's store. The Fate Toolkit, which is a collection of new optional rule systems, and the Fate Worlds setting/subgame collection will be coming out shortly.

On top of that, the digital copies are available as pay-what-you-want for PDF, epub, and Nook formats. You can get them directly from Evil Hat's store or RPGNow.

You're also going to need some Fudge dice. They're pretty easy to come by nowadays; they can be bought from Evil Hat in a few different styles. Alternately you can get the Grey Ghost GMing pack, or make your own.

So this is a framework then? How hard is it to build my own game off it?
Very easy. Once you understand how aspects, skills, and stunts interact, it's ridiculously easy to model things. Fate was designed to be twisted, modified, and hacked. It's released under an OGL, so people are able to release their own Fate-based games.

In fact, the Fate Toolkit contains lots of official hacks and system extras such as martial arts, new magic systems, interesting uses for stress tracks, and more.

The most important thing to remember when creating things in Fate:
Not everything is an aspect. Don't feel that you need to turn everything into an aspect. Aspects should be things that are thematically important. If it's raining and you don't think the rain is really going to affect what's going on in a scene, don't add a "Rainy Day" aspect. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with just having a flat mechanical penalty for a slick floor instead of a "Slick Floor" aspect.
Aspects are descriptors, not definitions. A room is not dark because it has the "Darkness" aspect, it has the "Darkness" aspect because it's dark in there. Don't let the aspects define things in a scene; create the scene first and work out what the aspects are from there.
There's really no wrong way to model things. One person might like to model a character being on fire as an aspect and some ongoing damage. Others might want to go full-Fractal and model it as a character. Both are equally valid mechanically. Fate is designed to work with how you want it to work.

I don't like making everything from scratch. What Fate-powered games are out there?
• Spirit of the Century/Strange Tales of the Century - The first real Fate-based game. Pulp action in the 30's! Two fisted action! Amazing science! Gorillas flying biplanes! Note that SotC uses an older version of the Fate rules, so things like stress/consequences and stunts work differently than they do now. Strange Tales not only expands the world of SotC, it also includes guidelines to update the old rules to Fate Core.
• Dresden Files RPG - The official RPG for the Dresden Files series of novels. DFRPG uses a free-form magic system, and also has a "powers" system where you can buy abilities at the cost of Refresh.
• diaspora - Hard sci-fi. Think Traveller. Explore a galaxy that is created by the players as they create their characters. disapora has very detailed gear rules, if you want something a bit crunchier take a look at this.
• Starblazer Adventures/Legends of Anglerre - Based on a British comic book series, Starblazer is very light sci-fi, and Anglerre is a one-book fantasy game and setting. Both games are a little more focused on stunts so they're on the crunchier side.
• Kerberos Club: Fate Edition (Strange Fate) - People with superpowers start turning up in Victorian England, Queen Victoria becomes a semi-divine being, and England conquers the worlds of Farie. An amazing setting, and the introduction of "Strange Fate", where powers are build as skills out of predefined abilities.
• Bulldogs! - Billed as "Sci-Fi That Kicks rear end!", in Bulldogs you play the crew of a freighter, signed up for a five-year hitch so you can get away from your past.
• Ehdrigohr - Dark fantasy in a world where you fight to restore hope in a world overrun by darkness.
• ICONS (Fate-derived) - Technically not a Fate game, but more of an offshoot. A fun, simple superhero game, and the "Great Power" supplement has Fate Core conversion rules.

Upcoming games:
• Atomic Robo RPG - Join the Action Scientists of the Tesladyne Institute and fight Nazi clones, evil government agencies, things from beyond space and time, and insane time-travelling dinosaurs. Based on the comic by Brian "Hyperactive" Clevenger.
• Apothiosis Drive X - Giant robot fighting action! Will come with several settings of its own, such as "Princess Drive", which is magical girls with mecha.
• Time Heroes - Defend the timeline from those who'd alter it for their own gain.
• Shadow of the Century - It's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...80's style!
• Young Centurions - A teen-focused game that takes place in the SotC universe in the mid-to-late 1910's.
• Base Raiders - Superheroic dungeon crawling! When all the superheroes and villians vanish from the world, what happens to the secret hideouts and labs they leave behind? Will use the Strange Fate system.

The "Worlds of Fate" mirco-games and adventures, which will be collected in two books: "Worlds On Fire" and "Worlds in Shadow", both of which are available through Evil Hat's store and RPGNow.

Worlds on Fire
• Tower of the Serpents - A stand-alone adventure set in the low-fantasy implied setting from the Fate Core book.
• Kriegszepplin Valkyrie - WWI pilots must fight the cyberneticly-piloted aerial force of a mad scientist
• White Picket Witches - Supernatural soap operas about a suburban town with a secret coven.
• Burn Shift - Mutants, madmen, and machines try to rebuild in a post-apocalyptic world.
• Fight Fire - "Rescue Me: The RPG". If you want to understand how "On Fire" works, this is a whole game based around it.
• Wild Blue - Cowboys and superheroes. Cowboys who are superheroes.

Worlds in Shadow
• CrimeWorld - Plan and run heists and try to get away clean. Written by John Rogers of Leverage fame.
• No Exit - Psychological horror for the unwilling inhabitants of the Complex; you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.
• Timeworks - Alter the timeline for the benefit of paying clients, only now time is starting to fight back.
• Court/Ship - Aliens invade the court of Louis XV and get involved in courtly drama.
• The Ellis Affair - A murder mystery set in the 1920's where part of the mystery is figuring out who the victim was.
• Camelot Trigger - King Arthur + Giant Robots = :iia:

On top of all that, there will be Fate/FAE versions of existing games:
• Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple - Young monks travel to distant worlds to help people and get into trouble.
• Freeport: City of Adventure - A pirate colony in a fantasy world is slowly trying to go "legit" and become a major seaport. This game uses a version of FAE with the D&D stats as the approaches.
• The Day After Ragnarok - WWII ends when Hitler manages to summon the Midgard Serpent. The Serpent is killed by an atomic bomb flown into its eye, and its corpse crushes most of Europe and the fallout-tinged tidal wave wrecks the eastern half of America. A combination of WWII-era pulp, Conan-esque adventure, and Nazi-punching.
• Dresden Files, FAE edition - A new version of the Dresden Files RPG, using the Fate Accelerated mechanics.
• Eclipse Phase - The game of "transhumanist horror" will be getting a Fate conversion guide. It should also be pointed out that you can legally torrent the core EP book, because the authors themselves seed it.

Long story short: there's a ton of awesome content out now and coming out. Plus there are a lot of people making their own hacks and extras, so there's a steady flow of great content.

What's Fudge? You mentioned that before.
Fudge (by Stephan O'Sullivan) is the precursor to Fate. Designed as a toolkit system, Fudge was not a complete system in the traditional sense (in that there were no defined stats, skills, abilities, or even base combat system), but instead was an open-source framework for people to use to build their own games. It introduced the Ladder, Fudge Dice, and open skill lists; ideas that would be built on for Fate. It's still a valid system that sees a lot of use, and is currently available for free in PDF and ePub formats at Grey Ghost Games.

What are some common tripping points?
The main thing that you need to remember about Fate is that it's not a "simulationist" system, and instead models things dramatically. Things like exact positioning, inventory lists, and tables full of situational modifiers do not exist here. Fate uses abstract positioning, you're assumed to have gear that makes sense based on your aspects and skills, and instead of situational modifiers you have temporary aspects.

Likewise, this is not a number-heavy game. If you like stacking big bonuses then this is not the game for you.

The other thing to bear in mind (again) is that not everything is an aspect. This is a trap that most people who are new to Fate fall into.

Great(+4) Links
• The G+ group and the Yahoo group. The closest things there are to official forums. Fred Hicks is active on both.
• The official Fate blog
• Fred's blog
• Rob's blog
• Evil Hat - Buy stuff here.
• Fate Core Downloads - Free supplementary material.
• Fred explains the Fate Fractal and being on fire - If nothing else, :siren:READ THIS:siren:.
• The Secret Language of Character Sheets - This was written for SotC, but it's still relevant.
• Fate-dice compatable tables for randomness - A very cool tool for people who like random tables.
• An alternate intiative system
• A breakdown of how Approaches work and what they mean
• A simple combat example
• A surprisingly partially-hostile discussion about stress and consequences
• How Blocks and Obstacles work
• The Fate Core/FAE SRD
• Rick Neal's Dresden Files RPG articles.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

reserved for other links/goon projects/common questions

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wanna load up on Fate? The latest Bundle of Holding is all Fate products.

Fate Core, Fate Accelerated, Ehdrighor, Full/Moon, Spirit of the Century. Beat the average for Kerberos Club, Starblazer Adventures, and Legends of Anglerre.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pretty much because it was outdated. With the system revamp of Fate Core/FAE it was felt that a new OP was needed to cover the changes to the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those of you who missed the Kickstarter, the Toolkit, both Worlds books, and Strange Tales of the Century are up on DriveThru now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

axelsoar posted:

I just got into this system and it seems great, but I am a bit confused. I'm sure it is just me being dumb, but when taking damage you have 3 options, Fill in a stress box equal to or greater than the damage you took, take a consequence, or fill in 1 box and take a consequence.

Why would you ever do the third, it is just the second option plus filling in an additional stress box.
Because taking a consequence reduces the stress of a hit before you check a box. Taking a mild consequence reduces the hit by two, a moderate by 4, and a severe by 6.

Let's say I have three physical stress boxes and take a 4-stress hit. That would take me out, because it's off the top of my track. Instead, I opt to take a minor consequence. That reduces the incoming hit by two, meaning I still take a two-stress hit and fill in my second box.

Now, I could have taken a moderate consequence and negated the damage completely, but here's the thing: at the end of the conflict all my stress clears out, and I can get rid of a minor consequence after the next scene. That means that I can clear that slot out pretty quickly in case I need it again.

A moderate consequence, on the other hand, takes a whole session
to go away. Which means that the consequence slot stays filled (so I can't use it again) and it's going to be working against me for a while.

Sometimes you don't have an option on what slots you can fill; if I take a 6 or 7 stress hit, I'm probably going to have to take a moderate or severe consequence to stay in the game.

quote:

Second, if I take a 3 damage hit and fill in my '3' marked box, do boxes 2 and 1 stay unmarked?
Correct. You only fill in the box that matches the value of the hit after you take consequences. If the box is filled already, you have to fill in the next one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Day After Ragnarok: Fate Edition is up for preorders ($20 for print & PDF), and backers can get the PDF in the stash with a discount code for the book.

quote:

Know, O Prince, that between the years when the Serpent fell and the oceans drank America and the gleaming cities, and the rise of the Sons of Space, there was an Age undreamed of, when nations guttered low and flared brilliant across the poisoned world like dying stars—California and Texas each claiming the flag of the West, France torn asunder and facing the desert, harsh Mexico, slumbering Brazil, Argentina where the seeds of Thule lay waiting, ancient lands of Persia and Arabia and Iraq between two empires, the coldly clutching Soviet Union whispering behind its Wall of Serpent, Japan whose warriors wore steel and silk and khaki. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Australia, the last green and pleasant land, ringed around by its dominions and bulwarked by the sea...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing to remember about Dresden Files is that magic is stupid powerful, but that's kind of the point. It's more or less once of the core concepts of the setting. So you need to take that into account when doing character creation or setting up opponents.

I've done Dresden games where wizards aren't allowed as PCs, but people can play supernatural types, and it worked pretty well.

As for GMing advice: make a spreadsheet of everyone's aspects, but highlight their High Concepts, Troubles, and apex skills, because those are your main character hooks. Remember the secret language of character sheets: everything people put down, they want to use or have happen in the game. That's not to say you should use everything, but if you're stuck on what should happen next then take a quick glance through the list.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I've been wanting this for a while.

I'm still a Fate newbie. How do the rules look?

Looks like straight Fate Core; the three phases are Glory Days, The Day After Ragnarok, and Just a Few Days Ago. Five new skills, and you start with 1 Superb, 2 Great, and so on down the pyramid. Three free stunts, too, so it's a little more cinematic/high powered (which fits, I think).

I'd say it feels like an updated SotC so far, but I haven't dug too deep into it yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

Doesn't Fate Core have 3 free stunts already?

Oops, I misread: you get three extra slots for extras or gear on top of your normal stunt slots.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

1) Is there level progression in FATE, or anything of the sort? The Van Buren campaign was plotted out for a ~30 hour RPG, after all, and so far FATE seems to be tailored toward more traditional tabletop adventures, basically the difference between a novel series and a short story collection. Since the system seems narrative-focused, I assume your characters stay the same throughout the campaign in most respects, with stunts changing often? They're fairly explicit about the fact that challenge targets and roll numbers are not supposed to progressively rise, which would seem to prohibit traditional notions of leveling and the like.
Characters do advance. Instead of levels, there are "milestones" (p. 260 of Core). Short form is that at the end of an adventure/scenario, you get a skill point, and at the end of a major plot point you get a point of Refresh, which you can keep or use to buy a new stunt.

Remember that Fate characters start out pretty competent, so it's not built around the idea of a slow progression up a level ladder, or a lot of small incremental advances every X bad guys you defeat.

quote:

2) Following from that, I'm unsure of how to model things like equipment and traits / perks, which are numerous and (sometimes nominally) differentiated. Maybe I'm just used to mechanics-heavy RPGs and should square myself with a game where most details are cosmetic rather than mechanical. I did play a FATE-like game once (Hollowpoint) in which there really weren't mechanical properties of objects at all, just skills and dice, and the particulars of a scene were there for flavor and imagery more than anything else.
For the most part, Fate doesn't worry too much about gear. Guns are things you use to use your "Shoot" skill, and maybe if you have a bigger gun it'll do +1 stress on a hit. Special gear should be handled differently, of course. I'd check out the Fate Toolkit.

As for perks, you can probably model those via stunts pretty easily.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

petrol blue posted:

If you really want to keep the feeling of "I've gained a level!", it's simple enough to just move the milestones to 'when you complete a quest', though it does mean a short break in the game while people adjust character sheets, and is harder to justifty narratively.

Well, "completing a quest" is pretty much the same thing as completing an adventure, which is a significant milestone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I always have the trouble with AW that a major mechanic is having sex with other PCs and I have never once looked upon a group that I thought could make it not creepy. God is the conflict resolution system ever great though; death to d20 and ability scores it's all about 2d6 plus flat number now.

At the risk of turning this into AWorld chat, the sex moves aren't really a major part of the system. You can skip them entierly and not miss anything.

Personally, I never found them creepy because they're about what happens to the characters and their relationships after they have sex. It's not like you're rolling to see how well you gently caress or anything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scrape posted:

I think we seriously misunderstood the damage system, so can someone check me here? I was under the impression that Stress boxes were there to prevent Consequences. But it sounds like the other way around: once the Stress boxes are filled, you're out of the fight. So you use Consequences to save your Stress boxes, even though Stress refilled after each fight? Also, can you check multiple Stress boxes? If I take a five point hit, I can check the 3 and 2 box, right? Should I instead take a 2-point Consequence and then check the 3 box? Or do I only do that of I expect the fight to last a while?

Basically, we treated Consequences as last-resort options. How are we supposed to work this? So far, it's not a combat-heavy game but I think that's gonna change tonight...
Short form: yes, consequences are there to keep you from filling in stress boxes. You're taking long-term harm to avoid being taken out in the short term.

Okay, let's break this down.

The "damage" system in Fate has two parts: stress (the boxes) and consequences (the aspects).

When you take stress damage from a hit, you fill in the box equal to the amount of stress you take, and only that box.

Let's say we have a character with three stress boxes.
code:
Physical: [ ]  [ ]  [ ]
If I take a hit with an outcome of 2, that's a 2-stress hit and I only fill in the second box.
code:
Physical: [ ]  [X]  [ ]
Boxes can only be filled in once. If you need to fill in a box that's already used, you have to fill in the next box up. So if I take another 2-stress hit, I have to "roll up" to the next box.
code:
Physical: [ ]  [X]  [X]
If I have to fill in a box that's past the end of my stress track, then I'm taken out. This can happen because I have to keep rolling up due to having boxes filled, or if the stress being dealt by a single hit is larger than the number of boxes on my stress track.

Looking back at the the example above, I can be taken out if I take a 2-stress hit or 3-stress hit because those boxes are filled and the hit would roll up past the end of the track. Regardless of how my boxes were filled in, I'd be taken out by a 4-stress or higher hit because I don't have that many boxes.

Before we move to the next part, remember this: as long as you're not taken out, all your stress clears out at the end of the conflict.

You can reduce taking stress damage by voluntarily taking consequences, which are aspects that represent longer-term damage. Consequences come in three varieties that determine the overall severity of the aspect and how much they reduce stress by:
  • Minor: reduces stress by 2, lasts at least until the end of the next scene.
  • Moderate: reduces stress by 4, lasts at least until the end of the next session.
  • Severe: reduces stress by 6, lasts at least until the end of the scenario.
You have to take the consequence right when you take the hit; they're not retroactive. You can also take more than one consequence per hit. However: when a consequence is taken, you can't take another at that level until you clear out the first one. In other words, if I've taken a minor consequence, I can't take another one until the first minor consequence is healed.

For example: I'm in a fight and I take a 6-stress hit. That's way off the top of my 3-box stress track, so I have a few options:
  • I take the full hit and get taken out. Remember that being taken out doesn't automatically mean being killed; the nature of being taken out is up to the person who takes you out, and has to make sense for the conflict, the attack, and the characters.
  • I could take a moderate consequence; that reduces the hit by 4, meaning I now have a moderate consequence and have filled in my second box.
  • I could take a minor and moderate consequences, completely neutralizing the stress but leaving me with two negative aspects.
  • Likewise, I could take a severe consequence and take no stress.

To go back to your question about the 5-stress hit, you have to fill in your fifth stress box. If you don't have a fifth stress box, you have to take at least a minor consequence or be taken out.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

By the way, the "one one stress box per hit" is in the Fate Core book, page 165 or so.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I don't remember which game it was in, but there is also a "more deadly" option for stress. You essentially fill in all lower boxes on a hit. So if you take a 2 stress hit, you fill in boxes 1 and 2.
That's how Starblazer Adventures/Legends of Anglerre handled it. Needless to say, it makes for a deadlier game.

Scrape posted:

To clarify: my Totally Awesome Snowflake PC has four Physical Stress boxes. Are the following statements correct?

1. If he takes a single 3point hit, I could fill in the 3rd box, or a 2point Consequence and the 1st box.
Correct.

quote:

2. If he gets hit for 1 "damage" three times in a row, I just check the boxes off one at a time, in order. So the third time I take 1 dmg, I'm forced to check off a 3-point box even though it's just 1 Stress. At that point, it makes more sense for me to fill in a 2point Consequence, because the 3-point Stress box is more valuable, right?
Correct. Once all your stress boxes are filled, one more hit will take you out.

quote:

3. If I'm rolling really poorly but still don't expect this battle to last long, I'm better off filling in Stress before Consequences. Because Stress resets after the battle. Say, in the example above, if I somehow know for a fact that this fight is going to end after the third 1point hit, I should just suck it up and use the 3point box for it because they'll reset (but the Consequence would stick around)
Generally speaking, yes. Stress clears out at the end of the fight, consequences stick around.

quote:

4. Conversely, if this is the Big Final Battle of the adventure, I should take Consequences earlier because I need those high-value Stress boxes to win the encounter. A 4-point box is hella valuable for taking a big hit and staying in the fight, and a 4-point Consequence is worth taking because it's the Final Showdown and I gotta win it.
Yes, but remember that consequences will still stick around to the next adventure.

quote:

5. There are no mechanical penalties from Consequences, right? They're just negative Aspects that the GM can use against me as long as they're around?
There are no extra penalties from consequences apart from the normal aspect mechanics. Obviously, if you have the Broken Leg consequence, the GM is free to compel it or forbid you from taking actions that you couldn't do with a broken leg.

Scrape posted:

Oh oh oh, and:

6. NPCs work the same way. Doing multiple 1Stress hits to an NPC can take her down. Obviously a single 8point hit might knock her out immediately, but doing like six 1point hits will get me there eventually. Yeah?
Yes. Generally you don't want to make NPCs that hardy, though. NPCs can also take consequences.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scrape posted:

This is great stuff, thanks.

Next question: my current campaign is mostly social, not a lot of combat (it's like, 1950s gumshoe stuff). There's some confusion about the Overcome action. It can be used, but not must be used, to place or discover an NPC Aspect. Like, we're interrogating the mobster's wife. I can roll Rapport to get the whole story out of her, and if I succeed with style I get a Boost. So maybe we put the Convinced Aspect on her and get one free Invoke to use for follow-up questioning. Or we could flat-out state "I want her to trust us, can I place the I Trust These Guys Aspect on her?" And it's the same Rapport Overcome roll?

Is that right? Like sometimes you'd want to place an Aspect so it sticks around, but sometimes you just want to make an opposed Negotiation roll or whatever to just get what you want, and it has nothing to do with naming an Aspect or Boost?
Placing an aspect on someone is "Create an Advantage"; if you're rolling your Rapport against, say, the target's Will, that's "Overcome".

It's really more of a situational thing; I'd say you could use Rapport or Empathy to "Create an Advantage" by putting the Co-operative aspect on the person, then invoke that to get a bonus when you try to use your Rapport to "Overcome" her opposed Will roll.

Also, like mistaya said, if it's an important scene, make it a social combat.

quote:

There's some confusion over when we have to use Aspects. Only when we care enough for it to matter, right?
That's exactly it. Apsects are rough guidelines, but only have mechanical weight when you try to bring them to the fore (via spending a Fate point).

quote:

Also, is it a harder DC to place an Aspect (versus just getting answers) or is it basically the same roll/difficulty, just with situational results?
It's more of a case-by-case situation. Generally if you're doing things against NPCs you want the difficulty to be the target's skills. In the case of the interrogation, it'd probably be Will in either case.

The big thing to bear in mind is that theres no "one right way" to model things in Fate. Don't worry about getting things exactly by the book; as long as you stick to the attack/defend/overcome/create advantage guidelines you should be good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blasphemeral posted:

You're focusing too much on the simple numbers, I think. I read his question as asking, "Is there something besides +numbers that you can do with Fate Points."

I was going to reply "invoking for effect," but I think they stopped calling it that in Core. There's still an analog to that, though, right?

You mean that a severe reduces your stress by 6, don't you? Minor (2), Moderate (4), Severe (6)?

Actually, that should have said "moderate". My bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'll be honest; the idea of talking someone into defeat at the end of a gunfight because of how Stress and Consequences work has never occurred to me. And it fits perfectly with the cinematic/story-driven style of the game.

Scrape posted:

2. I want survival to be a big deal, of course. Is it worth making a Stress Track for it, or is that too much? I'm thinking it would be the fun sort of bookkeeping. Like, desert travel can deal Survival Stress, which clears out when you rest and restock at a settlement. If it fills up, you get a Consequence like Dehydrated, Exhausted, or Starving.
Stress tracks are an easy way to deal with something with long term but uneven consequences; a Survival track can be "attacked" by hostile environments (c.f.fractalizing the desert, like Cyphoderus said), and Consequences can be things like "Heat Stroke", "Dehydrated", or "Seeing Mirages".

quote:

3. How do I handle Defiling magic? This has me a little stumped.
Any Defiling magic automatically creates permanent scene Aspects. I mean, the only real "effect" of Defiling magic is that plants nearby die, right? Or can you steal life from nearby creatures?

quote:

4. Lastly,character generation. Currently, players choose a Race and archetype (Class) and write an Aspect based on each, then do the whole "write down your first adventure" to finish. Cool, or unneccessary? I want to maintain that D&D feel of classes and roles.
I'd say unnecessary. I'd go the Legends of Anglerre route, where your High Concept has to talk to your race and "job". "Half-Giant Gladiator" or "Escaped elf slave turned scout for hire".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Defiling pretty much sucks the life force out of everything. I'm trying to remember but I did actually have an idea for what would work as defiling magic and preserver.

How about this: if you cast Defiling magic, every living thing in the zone takes 1 physical stress. They don't get a defense or resistance roll, but can take consequences to reduce it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, there's nothing wrong with saying "this special stress track doesn't refresh at the end of a scene, you have to use skills to clear boxes". Something like a survival or sanity track wouldn't clear out, but they wouldn't come into play as often.

I think Bulldogs uses a Wealth stress track, but I'll have to double-check.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Fate Freeport Companion is now available for non-backers. It uses a modified version of FAE where the approaches are the D&D stats. It's also a really cool setting.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

It's got a magic system that's the closest FATE gets to a traditional one (i.e. it's very D&D-ish). If I recall correctly it's divided in magic schools, with the character buying stunts that grant access to something like 3 individual spells each. Folks are always after magic subsystems for FATE, so this can interest a lot of people.
Yeah, this is the closest you're going to get to "Fate D&D".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Loki_XLII posted:

When do social/mental skills become harmful?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scrape posted:

What genres are covered by Fate so far? What's missing?

I know we've got high and low fantasy, steampunk/Victorian, supers, pulp, post-apoc pulp, hard and soft sci-fi... what else?

There's some cyberware ideas in the toolkit but is there a fleshed out cyberpunk setting? What about gritty apocalypse? Mystery/ detective? Horror? (Kinda hard, I know)

What's are we lacking?

Just off the top of my head...

Kung-Fu
Horror
"Hard" post-apocalyptic
Non-Tolkien fantasy

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Evil Hat's having a promotion for their new street team. Everyone who participates will get a PDF copy of the first volume for the new edition of Designers & Dragons and the ebook version of Dinocalypse Now. Each task you complete will also enter you in a raffle for some cool prizes, including a grand prize of winning all the digital versions of Evil Hat's products (or a $50 gift certificate plus a set of Fate dice if you'd rather have physical goods).

Most of the tasks to enter the raffle seem easy enough:
  • post a flyer at your FLGS
  • write an online review of Core/FAE/Race to Adventure
  • download one of their products from DriveThru and comment on your experience
  • run or play in a game of Fate/Race to Adventure (seems to be in-person only)
  • help spread the word about the new street team
You can complete some tasks multiple times (up to the limit of 5 entries) and the promo runs until the end of November, so if you're already doing (or have done) any of the above or just want some cool swag, why don't you check it out?

Hmmm, I wonder if the OP counts...

Anyway, has anyone tried their hand at making a martial arts system? Something with a feat/charm tree type feel to it. I've been poking around at my old Feng Shui conversion notes but can't think of a way to handle power trees apart from "for every stunt this particular stunt requires, you get to pick one more stunt effect".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Is it okay to link our recruiting threads in here?

Fake edit: whoops how did that get there :geno:

How dare you try to drum up interest in Fate games in the Fate thread.

How dare you.

Also books have been arriving with a fairly audible THUD

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, those were KC backer rewards, so I don't know if the books are in wide distribution.

I did order two Decks of Fate too; they're very high-quality and the Arcana art is really nice. I feel like I need to come up with some cool unique way of using it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jesus Christ this is the third time I've had to write this post. You guys better appreciate it.

The deck is $15 POD at DriveThruCards, and is very high quality. The deck itself is 96 cards, with four "instructional" cards that includes a Fate reference. I got the deck, a ten-card pack of blanks, and a pretty solid plastic case for about $25 with shipping.

The deck itself is made up of three "sub-decks". There's a six-card FAE Arcana deck which has one card for each of the default FAE approaches, and a nine-card Arcana with more general approaches.

That's two of the FAE Arcana and two of the normal Arcana. Each card in the deck except the FAE ones has two unique Aspects listed; on the normal Arcana it's one positive and one negative.

The rest of the deck are the die result cards. There are 81 cards, one for each potential combination of 4dF. In other words, the deck has the same probabilities as a set of Fate dice.

Each card has a lot of stuff on there; you get the result, the die combo, and two aspects of relative severity to the result. There's also the sun/moon/eclipse symbols; one to three moons or suns appear on each card, and the eclipses only appear on the unique cards (+4 and -4). There's no "official" use for these, but they're there for people to hack.

Oh, and the back of each card has the Fate logo, so you can use the cards as Fate Points too.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 9, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just off the top of my head:

When you fuse with a demon/angel/hoobajoob, you get three things:
• An Aspect related to the creature you're fused to.
• A power/stunt that the creature grants you.
• A +2 to a specific skill.

What would the downside to being bound be? Apart from whatever compel you can get off the demon's aspect?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

So I came up with something interesting for Fate Accelerated, and I think I might actually like it more than Fate Core now if I can work this into it/refine it some.

Embedded stakes questions, Apocalypse World style:

When you roll +careful, tell everyone why you have to take your time and why you can't take too long.
When you roll +clever, tell everyone what you're focusing on and what you don't want to ignore.
When you roll +flashy, tell everyone who you want to notice you and what you don't want them to see.
When you roll +forceful, tell everyone what you're trying to break and what you hope you don't have to.
When you roll +quick, tell everyone what you want to do first, and what you're racing against.
When you roll +stealthy, tell everyone what you're trying to keep hidden and who you're hiding it from.

I think these are generic enough that they fit any application of the approach, but I'm still enamored with that new idea smell.

That would be a really useful tool for people who are new to RPGs, or who aren't used to how a game like FAE works.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Looks like Evil Hat is doing the Patreon thing now for a series of adventures.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

By the way folks, if you haven't already get the Fate Freeport Companion. It's basically the "updated" version of Legends of Anglerre we've all been waiting for. It hits a nice middle ground between FAE (using the D&D stats as Approaches) and Fate Core (stunts, multiple stress tracks, and mechanical sub-systems).

The spellcasting system allows for player creation of spells, and the monster section has a lot of good advice for converting d20 adventures to Fate. If people want I can put together a post about the magic system when I get home.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

The only thing I don't like about Freeport is that it makes the six D&D stats still do their traditional D&D things. So Strength is almost always used for melee attacks, Dexterity is almost always used for dodging, Constitution determines your stress track... Which while faithful to the source material, kind of ruins the nice Approach feeling to FAE. I guess I just want to randomly say "Dodge the fireball? gently caress no, I'm standing my ground! Defending with Constitution!" without needing a Stunt to justify that first. The ability to attack and block with any one of the six approaches as long as it makes narrative sense really sold me on FAE and stops it from having "God-stats," which surprise surprise, is Dex again.

Of course, my complaint is very easy to houserule away, so there you go.

Actually, you can use Con to power through stuff.

quote:

Overcome Obstacle: Roll Constitution when the obstacle requires endurance and toughness to overcome.

You can also use Dexterity to attack if you're using a Finesse weapon.

I mean, yeah it kinda sucks to limit the core stats to their traditional roles, but like you said it's not a hard thing to tweak if you don't want to go that route anyway.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anyway, Fate Freeport spellcasting.

First, you need an appropriate aspect. No surprises there. Your castery aspect can be invoked to give yourself bonuses/rerolls in the form of normal invoke effect. So you can invoke Arcane Explorer to create a small floating light, giving you the +2 to a search roll.

Now, you can leave it there, or take a spellcasting stunt to power yourself up and cast actual spells.

The spellcaster stunts are predefined, and each gives you access to certain schools of spells, and grants you two to four spells. War Wizard gives you access to evocation and abjuration spells, and you start with two spells, while Enchanter only gives you access to the "enchantment" school but you start with three spells.

If you want more spells, you either take the Accomplished Spellcaster stunt to get three spells from your schools, or Magical Dabbler for one spell from outside your schools. Some spells have prerequisites of other spells, too, but if you don't have the prereq spells you can't learn the spell in the first place. For example, you can't learn Fireball until you have Magic Missile and Burning Hands.

The spells themselves are very simple. Every spell has a school (there are 12), and can have a Duration (if it's not an "instant" spell) and/or a Cost.

Spells take one action to cast, but if there's a Cost you need to pay that too. You pick one of these:
  • Take a 1-stress mental hit
  • Pay a fate point
  • Use a boost you have
  • Spend this action creating advantage, then cast next round.

Here's a typical spell:

quote:

Wall of Fire (Evocation, Cost, Persistent, Requires Burning Hands): Conjure a wall of flames, creating a barrier between two zones. This barrier automatically makes an attack with a bonus equal to your Charisma against any creature that attempts to cross it.
Evocation is the school, it requires a Cost, it's Persistent so it lasts until the end of the scene, and you have to know Burning Hands to be able to cast it. Everything else is normal Fate stuff.

There's also Wild Shape magic (which lets you take on new aspects and powers) and Summoning (where you get to build critters out of a list of Advantages and Disadvantages).

Spell creation is pretty basic. For the most part it works like stunt building; pick the effect you want, and you can tag on costs like limiting how many times you can cast it, adding prereqs or costs, and so on. There's no hard list of "here's what you can do with a spell" like there is with stunts; they went the DW route of "here's most of the spells you're realistically going to use, most other spells will be tweaks of these or aspect effects".

quote:

Finally, think about whether or not you need a spell to model what you want to model. Some spells in common fantasy RPGs are best modeled as normal actions flavored with a little magic and the invocation of an appropriate aspect. Spells like light, faerie fire, and magic weapon are all things you can accomplish by invoking a magical aspect and performing an action, maybe with a non-standard skill. You don’t need a spell for that; that’s one of the benefits of being a magic-user.

Which I'm fine with, personally. I don't need 500 spells if 50 will do and I can tweak/rename stuff as I need it, especially when those 500-spell-long lists have so many near-repeats it's ridiculous. I don't need to create a whole new "freezing hands" spell if I can just take burning hands and change "fire" to "ice".

There's also the optional Corruption and Madness rules. These are new stress tracks that cover the horror side of Freeport. You get corruption by performing deeds (magical or otherwise) of an unnecessarily cruel nature (i.e. fireballing the town square to kill some bandit, not caring you just set three dozen civilians on fire), and your corruption track doesn't clear out automatically at the end of a scene, instead you have to atone for your misdeeds. Madness is like the mental track, but covers the whole Things Man Was Not Meant To Know side of things instead of just flat out mental fortitude.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

I think I'm happy with this sheet for now, at least as a starting point.

Eclipse Phase powered by FATE Core (Imgur really botched the PDF image but it looks good from the google docs link)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKVEg-l1p9Scm1oYWRCeXVjWDA/edit?usp=sharing

So the reps are done as stress tracks, or as skills?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheDemon posted:

My favorite phrase for players who are talking over someone quiet is "Hold on, I'll get to you in a minute" while I turn back to the quiet one and ask them something or get them to repeat what they started to say.

If you need to prompt someone to participate in FATE a good way is through things on their character sheet. If someone is a Defender of the Meek (as an aspect) you can turn to them when someone aspect-relevant is happening and go "hey ____, as a Defender of the Meek what do you make of this?"

Just to build on this, one thing I always do when I run Fate is make a spreadsheet for myself of everyone's aspects, highlighting the most interesting ones. GMing Fate does can mean keeping track of a lot of aspects at a time, and generally I tell characters they're responsible for keeping track of their own aspects, but it's a useful tool for when you get stuck on what to do next.

As a side note, a good way to help people keep track of personal aspects is to buy a Noteboard and cut it apart on the folds; you end up with 35 dry-erase index cards that are great for just giving to everyone to write aspects and such on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like how "Never Broken" is completely broken.

An extra mild consequence is pretty much a bog-standard stunt from the book, but being able to take an 8-stress hit that clears after a scene? :psyduck:

e: in fact, the mental one is underpowered since it has a prerequisite it doesn't need.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 14, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There weren't any stunt creation guidelines in SotC beyond "eyeball it". Strange Tales of the Century has updated versions of a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I made a Pocketmod FAE microbook thing that's intended to be both reference and character sheet, for those who are into that kind of thing.