Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I always have the trouble with AW that a major mechanic is having sex with other PCs and I have never once looked upon a group that I thought could make it not creepy. God is the conflict resolution system ever great though; death to d20 and ability scores it's all about 2d6 plus flat number now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kerzoro posted:

So I've been considering a Persona/SMT-style game using FATE. Strange Journeys in particular strikes me as interesting, in the whole "people go to a MYSTERIOUS NEW ZONE and find world-changing things in there". Persona interests me because, well, they can resonate with the character's Aspects.

And there is also the whole negotiating with the various demons thing, where some may join you... how could this be handled without bogging down the entire thing with just NPCs?

This is a page late and a dollar short, but did you ever get this off the ground? Missed out on PixelZero's PBP, and it is my mission in life to get good at GMing so I can run a Persona RPG. Or just play in one. I'm not picky at all.

My advice would be to stick with Persona specifically so you don't have to deal with that demon negotiation stuff. I would honestly shy away from crunch, modelling Personas with just an Aspect (invoke: use special ability; compel: get hit with a magical weakness or whatever) and a couple stunts for magic. If you use Social Links (you should) have them be mostly between PCs. Maybe granting stuff like Follow-Up Attacks (further bonus to utilize PC-created Advantages or Boosts) or Fusion Spells (deal damage equal to both PC's normal damage plus the Link's level)? I have little experience with FATE or the Fractal, so this is all untested and completely off the top of my head. Use at your own risk.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Jack the Lad posted:

If you shoot out the lights and make the room Dark, does it stay dark after you use the boost on an action?

I would agree with Cyphoderus in that it's still dark, it just no longer grants a bonus because everyone is used to the dark/has their night vision out after the invoke.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Nyarko, crawling with love~

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Coming from Dungeon World, what are the main pounds to remember when GMing FAE?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Evil Mastermind posted:

The new Bundle of Holding is a second collection of Fate stuff.

Picked this up, thanks. There's gotta be ideas in there for my not-Wonderful 101 game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
The Dungeon World thread had a ton of tips for running the game effectively, is there anything like that for FATE? When I run DW making poo poo up is fun for me, but in this game I don't think I use compels enough, or understand the various levels of success.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm running a sort of Metal Gear/Deus Ex/Archer/Alpha Protocol mashup and I'm looking for tips on how to Effectively GM. I understand that offering compels is really important for the players to have a good balance of Fate Points. Any other pitfalls? The closest thing I've run is Dungeon World.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Er, about to start running, I should say. Poorly worded. I'll record session 1 and upload it here if people are willing to help me improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Captain Walker posted:

I'm running a sort of Metal Gear/Deus Ex/Archer/Alpha Protocol mashup and I'm looking for tips on how to Effectively GM. I understand that offering compels is really important for the players to have a good balance of Fate Points. Any other pitfalls? The closest thing I've run is Dungeon World.

This is going on Saturday and I want to make sure starting with only the barest of frameworks, as I am, is OK. The PCs work for the creatively named Company, and I'm basically planning on having them run through that early mission from Alpha Protocol where you hunt down the arms dealer in his palace. I figure it'll take three or so scenes to get to the inner sanctum, but what happens on the way I'm pretty much playing by ear. Does that work in this game? I'm gonna give aspects to the arms dealer, and probably that room with the tank and stuff, but not everything needs to be stated out, right?