Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

petrol blue posted:

e: Also, would it be worth linking to some blank dice on the OP, given fate dice aren't something most people have laying about and 'proper' ones are priced absurdly?

Man, what the hell is able to draw on dice? Nothing will stick to it, not even sharpies. I think it's a good idea to put a link in the OP to that article about making home versions of FATE dice with d6's, by the way. I tried doing those but then again, nothing sticks to dice :argh:

I'm in Brazil and there's no FATE dice here, even though we have a translated Spirit of the Century in the national market. I've found that just using plain old d6's (1 and 2 are -1; 3 and 4 are 0; 5 and 6 are +1) isn't overly taxing and immersion breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I posted in the "what system should I use?" thread because I'd been itching to get back into my fairly thorough adaptation of the canceled Black Isle Fallout 3, and I was looking for a replacement system for Fallout PNP 2.0 that didn't require copious amounts of flow-killing math. I was pointed in FATE's direction, and while it looks intriguing I'm concerned with preserving as much Fallout flavor as possible, which means replicating as much of SPECIAL as I can when I inevitably retool FATE. I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure I'll get there.

So I have a few questions, some of which may be things I just haven't read yet, being partway into the core book:
1) Is there level progression in FATE, or anything of the sort? The Van Buren campaign was plotted out for a ~30 hour RPG, after all, and so far FATE seems to be tailored toward more traditional tabletop adventures, basically the difference between a novel series and a short story collection. Since the system seems narrative-focused, I assume your characters stay the same throughout the campaign in most respects, with stunts changing often? They're fairly explicit about the fact that challenge targets and roll numbers are not supposed to progressively rise, which would seem to prohibit traditional notions of leveling and the like.
2) Following from that, I'm unsure of how to model things like equipment and traits / perks, which are numerous and (sometimes nominally) differentiated. Maybe I'm just used to mechanics-heavy RPGs and should square myself with a game where most details are cosmetic rather than mechanical. I did play a FATE-like game once (Hollowpoint) in which there really weren't mechanical properties of objects at all, just skills and dice, and the particulars of a scene were there for flavor and imagery more than anything else.

I'm interested in playing in a FATE game as a player, so I can get a better hang of it and maybe not bungle GMing the Fallout game as a result, but a quick scan of the PBP forum seems to indicate that it's pretty exclusively an anime thing here, and I'm not into that. Oh well.

For SPECIAL, you can look at FATE Accelerated and model those through reskinning the approaches a little bit. If you want to keep Fallout's more granular skill system, FATE Core is designed to be retooled: they want you to come up with your own skill list. Fallout's list can be used pretty much as-is with Core.

If I recall correctly, the more interesting perks are things like "good with children", "gore everywhere" and "aided by a mysterious stranger". This kind of thing fits way better as aspects than stunts, I think (except maybe for the mysterious stranger one).

You can use stunts for special gear and assorted perks! If you want to model Fallout's constant switching of weapons, you could make "gear stunts" that aren't inherent to the characters but to what they're carrying.

As for advancement, as Evil Mastermind said, there is advancement; only it's subtler than level-based games like D&D.

Thinking about it with this post, I don't believe you need to do much work at all to make Fallout work with FATE.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Scrape posted:

Anyway, some questions for the thread: I'm fiddling with a Dark Sun conversion for FATE (it should be obvious by now, but I'm pretty enamoured of this game). What do you guys think:
1. Psionics are Stunts, this makes sense right?
2. I want survival to be a big deal, of course. Is it worth making a Stress Track for it, or is that too much? I'm thinking it would be the fun sort of bookkeeping. Like, desert travel can deal Survival Stress, which clears out when you rest and restock at a settlement. If it fills up, you get a Consequence like Dehydrated, Exhausted, or Starving.
3. How do I handle Defiling magic? This has me a little stumped.
4. Lastly,character generation. Currently, players choose a Race and archetype (Class) and write an Aspect based on each, then do the whole "write down your first adventure" to finish. Cool, or unneccessary? I want to maintain that D&D feel of classes and roles.

Quick opinions on these!

1. The very concept of the bronze rule (or was it the FATE fractal? I always forget) is that anything can be modeled by any combination of mechanical elements. Another way of saying this is that, in FATE, when you have an element in the fiction, it shouldn't have a direct correspondence with an element of the mechanics. Psionics are whatever makes sense for them to be in any given situation: stunts, aspects, stress tracks, etc.

2. I like it. Then maybe you can give special attack or defend actions to skills like Survival, Lore, Physique, etc. and have survival conflicts between, say, a trades caravan and a pursuing band of raiders. Or a conflict between the party in the desert and the Desert, who has its own skills (see above; FATE fractal!). Survival conflicts :black101:

3. Maybe something like this? Every magical action (or the first by a single participant in a conflict), in addition to its intended effect, also counts as a Create Advantage action that necessarily creates a scene aspect of defilement (or terrain, living beings, etc). The result of the roll for the magical action is used for the implicit Create Advantage roll.

4. I think the vanilla single High Concept aspect works wonderfully well for race+class combinations. If you go for race and class as separate aspects, what you're doing in my opinion is giving race a much stronger role to play in the character's life than before (since class tends to dominate High Concepts, in my experience). I'm not too experienced in Dark Sun, but if I recall correctly, racial cultures are much more important in the setting than regular old D&D, right? If so, this could work really well thematically.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Scrape posted:

I actually ignored the Freeport Companion 'cause I thought it was just a setting book I was uninterested in. But this sounds neat, what other stuff will I find in there? It's a free download for backers, yeah?

It's got a magic system that's the closest FATE gets to a traditional one (i.e. it's very D&D-ish). If I recall correctly it's divided in magic schools, with the character buying stunts that grant access to something like 3 individual spells each. Folks are always after magic subsystems for FATE, so this can interest a lot of people.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Actually, there is Tianxia, which should cover any martial arts needs you have. Well, I assume it does. Not a backer, so I haven't seen the rules yet.

I backed for curiosity, since I love wu xia and the description makes Tianxia look like just another "help me kickstart the setting I use with my group", and was very positively impressed.

It is a respectful, insightful treatment of the wu xia genre, while also playing to the specific strengths of FATE Core as a system. I recommend it.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I've been thinking about what to do with Unknown Armies, since I don't really like its system. Then it struck me that it would, in principle, work very well in FATE because it supports the duality of obsessions and passions in the form of invokes and compels, and it has built-in stress tracks. For now I'm only thinking about a street level game. This is what I thought:

Aspect creation:
You start out with an Obsession. This works like your High Concept, as your obsession defines who you are and how you view the world.
Instead of a Trouble, you have a Trigger Event. This is the weird thing that happened to you in your life that let you know the world is a messed-up place and the occult underground exists. It is unique to you.
Make a "first adventure" and two "guest-appearance" aspects as per usual. They are your passions. You've got a rage passion (something that enrages you), a fear passion (something that terrifies you) and a noble passion (something you make sacrifices for). When you're done with them, choose which is which among your first adventure and guest-appearances.

Stress Tracks:
You've got a physical stress track that works as per usual.
You've also got five special mental stress tracks, corresponding to the five kinds of madness in UA:
Violence, the Unnatural, Helplessness, Isolation and Self.
These stress tracks work a little different. They are attacked by "madness attacks". For instance, seeing a friend being beaten unconscious could be a +1 Violence madness attack.
These stress tracks don't clear after a scene. But when a box is marked, you can ignore hits with magnitude equal or lower than that box (i.e. if you take a 3-shift hit and mark the 3rd box, form now on you're immune to 1-, 2- and 3-hit shifts). These represent you becoming callous and hardened.
If all your stress boxes of a particular track are full, the next hit you take will make you turn mad. You are so callous you disconnect from the world.
Consequences from these madness tracks represent UA's "failed notches". You become more afraid and more affected by that sort of stress. For instance, a 2-shift consequence from a failed Unnatural defence could be "compulsively checks the horoscope".

It's all very, very early, these are just random thoughts. I'm not really happy with it, but I think there's something to the idea that FATE can handle UA. What do you guys think?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Here are some... thoughts on running FATE, prompted by a post in the chat thread:

FATE is much like *World in that it is primarily a fiction-first game. What that means is the collective imagination of the players (including the GM-player) is the first and foremost driving force of the game. If the players have collectively agreed on something, it goes. It is true in the game, period.

What you have to do now is translate that into the mechanics of the game. *World has moves, and those are specifically designed to make this translation process as painless as possible. Moves are just helping you translate what is happening in the players' imagination* into the language of the game.
* since people aren't telephatic yet, the only way to share what we imagine is by communication; Apocalypse World calls this "The Conversation".

With FATE, it's the same, but the language of the game is a lot less intuitive. FATE speaks in terms of fate points, skills, stunts, stress boxes, and aspects. The crucial thing to understand here, and this is where most people get stuck, is that these game elements do not correspond to specific fiction elements. Rather, a fiction element can be translated into any combination of the game elements. This property is usually called the "FATE fractal" or the "bronze rule".

So how do you know what game elements to translate fiction elements into? In other words, "how do I represent this thing in the game?" You pick and choose based on what feel you want to give your fiction element. This is entirely the translator's – most times it will be the GM – job. You can do whatever, but you choose to do what feels the best.

Since *World-style moves are an extremely intuitive way to translate fiction into game, I've tried my hand at creating "moves" to help ease the transition between fiction and FATE.

If any given element of the fiction...

...takes decisive action, give it skills.

...withstands assault, give it stress boxes.

...interferes with the actions of another, give it passive or active resistance, accordingly.

...interacts with the metagame of the fiction, give it aspects.

...is a force capable of actively steering the metagame of the fiction, give it Fate points.

...does any of the above in a special or unique way, give it stunts.

Aspects, as usual, are the trickest part. The biggest mistake is trying to define aspects using the fiction. No, aspects are nothing more than ways to interact with "the metagame of the fiction" – simply put, the Fate point economy. What the Fate point economy does is it creates trade-offs between elements in the fiction that would not otherwise be related. The fact that you accepted a compel back then allows you to invoke an aspect now. Because you are a country bumpkin who accidentally disrespected the princess, you can swing from this chandelier. Aspects are a way to interact with this metagame; nothing more, nothing less. They operate strictly on the meta level. Give something aspects only if you want it to be a part of this insane play of "because you did that thing, now this unrelated thing can happen".

For an example, let's say you want to have a magical sword. A magical sword that protects you from your enemies: it springs out of its scabbard by its own accord and flies through the air if you're being attacked. That's the fictional element we want to represent in the game: the magical sword. The reasoning would be the same if the element were a spell, a cyber-leg, a soldier, the love of a father for his daughter, a national park, or the evil villain's memories.
One way to FATE that up is to think the sword is intended to interfere with another's actions: namely, it interferes with another's actions to attack! And it does so in a special way: only when you are being targeted by that attack. So we make the sword a stunt: "Give +2 passive resistance against attacks on yourself".
Or we could have done it differently. Maybe you want to think of the sword as a barrier someone has to go through before being able to attack you. Now your sword is intended to withstand assault. It needs to take decisive action, as well: it has to be able to... well... swordfight itself. So we can give it a skill, Twirl Through the Air, at +2 at something, and some stress boxes. This is not worse than the first way we statted our sword; it's just a different feel.
Let's make our sword sentient. It likes to get into heated debates about politics. It takes decisive action to do so, so we give it the skill Heated Politics Debates at +2.
Maybe you want to be able to spend your Fate points, earned by having fallen down a chasm or having made a new enemy or whatever, to take advantage of the sword's sentience. Now we give it the aspect, "A Sentient Sword".
Maybe we just want a sentient sword, none of the above. We give it nothing. No aspects, no skills, no nothing. We just say it's a sentient sword. If everyone nods and goes, "yup, you have a sentient sword, I can see that", then your sword is goddamn sentient, even if that specific part of the fiction isn't being represented by any part of the rules. It's in the fiction, and what's in the fiction goes.

fiction fiction fiction it doesn't sound like a word anymore

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 5, 2014

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

This is what I was talking about when I said FATE is "fiction first". It's pointless to complain that aspects all do the same thing because they're all aspects! And that same thing is just what aspects do! If you choose to represent two things as the same game element is because you want them to have the same effect in the game. If you want them to have different effects, represent them as other things. It is your choice.

Rules-first thought would be "Best Swordsman in the Land is an aspect that I want. Hmm, what can I do with it?"
Fiction-first thought would be "I am the best swordsman in the land. Now will that work better as an aspect, skill, stunt, or something else?"
The latter is what FATE is designed to do, the former is D&D thinking. 90% of people's problems with aspects can be solved by not doing the first approach.

Jack the Lad posted:

If you attack and spend a Fate point to increase the roll, you get the same outcome against the Really Slow and Clumsy enemy that you do against anyone else.
So maybe an aspect is not the best way of representing the fact that this enemy is Really Slow and Clumsy. The guy can be slow and clumsy without an aspect for it, just give him a low Fight skill and describe his actions accordingly.

ProfessorProf posted:

Unrelated question as long as I'm here: In a Fate Core campaign/setting where the party won't have ready access to vehicles, what would be a good skill to replace Drive?
Why does it need a replacement in the first place? If there's no vehicles or anything to drive, just get rid of the thing. Ride is the obvious answer if it's gonna be a setting where horses/chocobos/oliphants/riding war dogs are readily available. I think there's also potential on separating the ability to run and move from Athletics into a skill of its own, like Move or Parkour or something, for a given style of modern game where it matters.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 6, 2014

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

Hmm...
I approve.
I remember the first time I read Toon's stunt equivalent that let your character saw a tree branch a make the tree fall down and keep the branch afloat and being like "you can do that in RPGs?!"

Thinking about it now, Toon is exactly the kind of game that needs a FAE edition. Heck, it'd be perfect.

I also want to remind everyone that Crimeworld is absolutely fantastic. It's probably the best genre toolkit to come out in recent years for any system. Everyone, go and insert a heist/con episode into your ongoing campaign.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

The Dregs posted:

I just bought the fate Accelerated rules and I am trying to figure them out.

If you take your action to gain a boon or create a new aspect or whatever, when does it take effect?

Say, the room has the Dark aspect. You choose to use the darkness to cover your attack, thus getting a bonus to your attack roll. You would have to wait until next turn to actually attack, right?

When you just take advantage of an existing aspect to aid your action (in this case, the attack), it's called invoking that aspect and it's instantaneous. So, no. Your action this turn is "attacking", and you spend a fate point to use the Dark aspect to make it more effective.

Now, if the room is lit and you, say, shoot the lamps to make it dark, what your character is doing is "creating an advantage". If successful, the room becomes dark and gains the aspect dark (notice that these are two different things). The effect is instantaneous as well: the aspect is created immediately. However, you spent your character's turn and will have to wait until the next one to act. If you have a free invoke on the dark aspect because of a successful "create an advantage" action, you have to wait until the next turn to use it.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

If you shoot out the lights and make the room Dark, does it stay dark after you use the boost on an action?

Absolutely.

The crucial, hardest thing to understand about FATE is that its rules – that is, Aspects, Stunts, Skills, and Stress Tracks – describe the world of the characters but do not define it. When your character shoots out a light, he's shooting out a light. In the character's world, that light is shot. In the players' world, that event is described through an aspect, which the players can then use to their advantage. However, when that aspect is discarded in the players' world, the lights remain shot in the character's world, because of course after you shoot a light it doesn't come back on. Unless someone takes an action to repair the lights or something.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this, because aspects, once 'spent', are simultaneously True Facts and also not doing anything mechanically.
The aspect dark is not a True Fact; "this room is dark" is the True Fact in play here. FATE has a number of ways of representing true narrative facts; aspects are one of them.

quote:

Like, if I shoot out the lights, I can invoke it to cause the first guy to shoot at me in the Dark to miss, but after that everyone can effectively see and shoot just as well as they could before, even though narratively it's still dark?
That is one possibility, yes. It is certainly appropriate for some kinds of games.
Again, the True Fact is "the room is dark". Here are some ways to represent it in FATE:
• As an aspect, as we've been discussing;
• Nothing at all. Darkness really doesn't matter in this context.
• Darkness is a passive obstacle. Actions influenced by vision should exceed a certain point in the Ladder, because seeing in the dark is hard.
• Darkness is an active obstacle. Actions influenced by vision should compete against an I Am Dark action taken by the room, rolled by the GM.
• The room has a I Am Dark skill: it can do one or more of attacking, creating advantages, defending, and overcoming obstacles. Might be cool for a horror game where Darkness can actively attack someone's mental stress track.
• The room has a Darkness stress track. The characters have to attack it by finding light sources: when it's gone, people can see again. Might be cool for a videogame-like set piece where characters have to light a room while under attack by ninjas or something.
• Any combination of the above, including Darkness as a complete character with a skill list, stress track, and stunts.
• Something else entirely, which amounts to Darkness as a stunt.
The fact that the aspect is spent does not stop the True Fact about darkness from manifesting in any of the above ways. This decision is usually in the hands of the GM, and it really depends on tone and genre of the game and context of the scene.
The fact that any narrative fact can be represented by any combination of mechanical elements is called the Fate Fractal, and it's the coolest thing about this game.

quote:

Or if I set someone On Fire and invoke it to defend against one of their attacks. Are they still on fire, narratively? If so, how do you handle that? Does it limit what they can do?
Same answer as above. A person is on fire; you can pick and choose from FATE's toolbox to represent that. Even if you choose no mechanical representation at all, they're still on fire narratively.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

The dual problems of "some skills are more useful in terms of breadth of actions they can affect" and "in a genre game, like a kung fu epic or something, there are certain things that pretty much everyone should be assumed to be able to do" are why I've been getting steadily more interested in FAE.

Lately I've been wanting to run FAE Tianxia. I mean, Approaches are basically kung-fu styles already. Or you could borrow from Qin and make the approaches be Metal, Water, Fire, Wood, and Earth.