Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
^^^^ Going by last night's game, I think Krysmbot is infecting the other Fudge dice in the house.

Davin Valkri posted:

You guys too? I thought I was the only one krysmphoenix's dicebot hated! :glomp:

Look, Krysmbot hates me too! It's not just you guys!

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Scrape posted:

I think we seriously misunderstood the damage system, so can someone check me here? I was under the impression that Stress boxes were there to prevent Consequences. But it sounds like the other way around: once the Stress boxes are filled, you're out of the fight. So you use Consequences to save your Stress boxes, even though Stress refilled after each fight? Also, can you check multiple Stress boxes? If I take a five point hit, I can check the 3 and 2 box, right? Should I instead take a 2-point Consequence and then check the 3 box? Or do I only do that of I expect the fight to last a while?

Basically, we treated Consequences as last-resort options. How are we supposed to work this? So far, it's not a combat-heavy game but I think that's gonna change tonight...

I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to check off multiple Stress boxes for a single attack. In your example you would either check the 3 box and take a Mild 2-point Consequence, or get Taken Out of the combat. (This is, of course, assuming you do not have 5 stress boxes.)

I would personally say Consequences are there to prevent you from being Taken Out, since you can always choose not to take one. Consequences are supposed to be last resort options, yes. They are what you take if you need to keep fighting. But if you're a player where it's clear you guys have already won and an enemy gets a lucky roll, getting Taken Out is not that bad. It just means you get knocked to the side and take a breather to let your friends keep going.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Well, if you don't really wanna have solid statblocks, then you can basically write enemies as the following.

High Concept: Redshirt
Aspects: Curiousity Killed the Cat
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Attack: +2 (Guns)
Block: +2 (Athletics)
Other: +1 (Physique)

You really don't need anything more than a few Aspects that are inherently obvious, and maybe another for flavor. Then you just need an common Attack stat, a common Defense stat and another Skill they can probably use for Maneuvers or Overcomes if needed. You don't even need to obey the Skill Ladder for this low-detail enemies. If they need a skill you didn't think about, either give the NPC/enemy +0 or whatever you think fits on the spot. This was a quick mook, but you can always make anything more interesting by adding more detailed Aspects or a stunt. Either way, don't feel like you need to write every detail of an NPC.

You can balance the tactical and engaging fights by just really going crazy with your Boosts. Remember that Boosts are Aspects, and ALL Aspects are valid for compels. In one of my games, Pokemon actually, someone with a Doduo rolled Athletics/Speed to move several zones and rolled a flat 0. Failure with Style. So he got the Boost "Tripped" and I instantly Compeled it (and since the Boost had a Free Invoke for the GM, he wouldn't have gotten a Fate Point for Accepting it, but could still spend one to Refuse) and removed the Doduo's ability to fly to certain zones for the encounter. The party then instead of attacking the enemy Wild Pokemon had a dance-off. I poo poo you not.

And then there was another game that had a combat we just finished...

mistaya posted:

I think our dice-bot is secretly watching the game because it always seems to come up with the perfect roll for the story. I only get good rolls for NPCs when it'd drive the story in most satisfying direction. Or really bad ones when it's downright hilarious.

Recently my DMPC Warden failed a +2 difficulty roll (he got a 0) on kicking an evil magic skull (it was spitting out snakes) into the river, so I had it land in their getaway boat instead. Failing in Fate can be much more fun than succeeding sometimes.

That wasn't a proper Compel or anything, but it followed the old mindset that the * World games use: Failures don't mean nothing happened. Failures means something bad happens. Games feel tactical, or at least to me, when the players feel like they have choices and have to deal with unusual circumstances. It's way more interesting this way instead of constantly rolling Attacks and Blocks and nothing else in combat.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 1, 2013

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The way I've always thought of Counterspells is that rather than Attacks, they are Blocks against the hostile spell's Power instead of Control.

So for a Counterspell, you need to call up as many Power shifts as needed, and the Control/Discipline roll is only there to make sure you roll above your Power or else you take Backlash/Fallout. If your Power of the Counterspell exceeds the hostile spell's Power, you successfully negate it and are safe from harm. Your Control/Discipline never is compared against the hostile spell's Control/Discipline, only Power vs Power.

The Lore check is only there for the player to know exactly how much Power they need to call up, otherwise they have to call up Power having no idea what they need to defend against. Aim too high, and you risk Backlash/Fallout. Aim too low, and you just flat out fail no matter what because your Power wasn't high enough to do anything. If you pass the Lore check, you don't have to worry about how going too high or low, and can even decide if it's even worth your time.

What the Counterspell rules leave out is if you completely fail to negate the hostile spell, and you are at the mercy of an incoming fireball you tried to put out instead of dodging. The best to ways of handling that is if your sudden Counterspell fails, you have to Block using no skill, so at +0 (+fudge if the GM wishes), or to simply say it's impossible to use a Counterspell against an Attack coming at you in an exchange and to leave it to trying to dispel static effects.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Put the boss at +1 above your best fighters combat stats, flavor for the bosses style. This makes for them hard to touch if they go at this normally.

Toss in some weird features. Really weird stunts, terrain stunts, whatever. Don't just make this a fight, make it different.

Encourage your noncombatants to exploit these side features as much as possible, and let them boost your main fighters so everyone feels useful.

Don't be afraid to inflict a few consequences. This is what boss battles are for.

Have a backup plan if the players just outright fail, if you don't want a total party wipe. This can take the form of the boss getting distracted and not hitting the players for a few turns.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So we just had a rather noteworthy session today, and it highlights something about Fate I rather like a lot.

First off, we're going for a Final Fantasy style JRPG feeling for this game, so high fantasy with a little technology tossed about. We stumbled upon the Rebellion for the increasingly-evil-looking Empire, who were going to place a raid on a facility that just discovered a strange artifact left behind by one of the Storm Dragons we've been trying to figure out. The GM has been giving him a consistant pool of Fate Points, one for each player per scene, occasionally one over or below as needed. We started this session with four players, but one had to back out early from college finals fatigue. So he has four FP, and the players have a couple FP above their refresh.

We start the raid and bust down the front door. Out comes a miniboss character with his Melee at +5 vs our +4s. But, he's the rival Powered Ranger rival to one of the Players, and takes a Compel to take him on 1v1. We pass a few Good Luck advantages to him and move on. Then another miniboss character comes up, the lady Knight Templar we stumbled on earlier who had a romantic encounter with another one of the PCs earlier, so then they also do a 1v1 with another last minute Good Luck advantage. Finally there's me who charges deep in the facility, dragging along our NPC buddy leading the raid and finds an airship deep in the facility being powered by the dragon artifact. Inside the airship is an assassin that tried to attack us before and got us in a lot of trouble with the Templar earlier.

It starts off rather nicely. Since the GM bounced back and forth between us as we took our turn, the two Powered Rangers hold each other at a standstill, and the Templar in her heavy armor holds off pretty well. We're burning our FP pretty much every round, and so is the GM in response. By the time I encounter the assassin the GM is now out of Fate Points, and a couple good rolls means I practically two-shot the madman and hijack the airship. The other two just completely burn through their FP to get a bonus over the minibosses and make some pretty heroic struggles ultimately coming on top.

In any other RPG, what we just did would be suicide. These guys had better stats than us. But for the sake of making the game more dramatic and increasing the stakes, we split these individually tricky but not difficult fights when handled in a group into three simultaneous near impossible 1v1 fights. Because, rather than in spite of, we stacked the odds against us we had the Fate Points to initially hold them off then overcome. We took the risky dramatic way of handling this, and the game rewarded us. We were having the time of our lives, and the GM was having a blast as well. And now the GMs looking through the Camelot Trigger rules to figure out how to handle this airship we just stole from him.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The only thing I don't like about Freeport is that it makes the six D&D stats still do their traditional D&D things. So Strength is almost always used for melee attacks, Dexterity is almost always used for dodging, Constitution determines your stress track... Which while faithful to the source material, kind of ruins the nice Approach feeling to FAE. I guess I just want to randomly say "Dodge the fireball? gently caress no, I'm standing my ground! Defending with Constitution!" without needing a Stunt to justify that first. The ability to attack and block with any one of the six approaches as long as it makes narrative sense really sold me on FAE and stops it from having "God-stats," which surprise surprise, is Dex again.

Of course, my complaint is very easy to houserule away, so there you go.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I just wanna say that when I was running a Pokemon Fate game, there was an encounter I expected to be a straight up fight that the party spontaneously turned into a dance party. I shrugged and rolled with it.

Also I think a thing a lot of people forget to realize is that enemies, and even players, can withdraw from combat at any moment. You don't have to make every fight to the death. You don't need for a pack of wolves to fight to the last consequence. After they take a mild or a few good hits they realize "Yeah, we're never gonna beat these guys" and just scurry away.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The way someone handled it for a Power Ranges game was that everyone rolled Will to transform as a Create Advantage. Everyone succeeded at their transformation, but high rolls meant you took them off guard, low rolls meant they surrounded you when you took your sweet rear end time transforming, or something similarly bad.

That was in addition to the benefits that transforming gave which I...don't actually remember what they were for that game.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
In that case the Attacker gets the boost (one-time aspect with free invoke) to use whatever circumstances apply to the aspect. Generally it's a boost against the Defender for future attacks, but it's the GMs call where that aspect goes if you want to get a little creative with it. That said, it's just a boost, and isn't meant to be anything too interesting.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Not too fond of the art for Defend, I'm not sure what the person's doing.

Overcome though needs to stay the way it is.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
FAE also has stunts apply more often, and they're always +2 so it's pretty easy to get a +5 with your favorite roll anyway.

Honestly, I say keep it with the lower numbers for FAE. Evens things out and makes everyone seem more well-rounded. But it is worth mentioning that the lower numbers for FAE do make it more luck-based, but not that much more.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I would change out the science brainstorming for a "mission briefing" where they can use their respective specialties to add insight to the mission. Probably kill Science entirely. Write some new modes or at least encourage people to write weird modes to focus on the fact that they're a special ops firefighter or a vietnam vet ninja or whatever.

A nice simple hack a few people did for an Atomic Robo game that wasn't science-based was to just allow a 0-cost specific application of Science to a Mode that was relevant. In this particular game, a Noble Mode got Heraldry (technically not a science, but it was just Overcome and Advantage). For a GI Joe game, I could imagine someone getting something akin to Survival for being an army ranger Hell, maybe even Architecture for a former firefighter. You knock down enough burning walls, you're sure to use building codes to your advantage.

EDIT: This hack still works if someone wants to be an actual Scientist, they just take the Science:All skill for 1 mode point, since everyone knows that if you're a Real Scientist, you can apply your knowledge in ANY field! :science:

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Texibus posted:

I was recommended to look over this system and then I noticed it's got a Dresden Files module. How good is that? Would it be hard for a first time GM to run a game of it? My buds and I love those books so I thought it'd be cool to set it up and give it a shot.

The Dresden Files module is really solid. You guys love the books so it'll be perfect for you. Mechanically it's a little iffy in a few places (Evocation and Thaumaturgy are particularly powerful, so you may want to limit Wizards) but otherwise it completely good and playable start into the Fate system.

One house-rule bit that may be of interest to you is something that came up in Atomic Robo: Collateral Damage consequences. Instead of taking the hit directly (or if a spell goes haywire) you can instead choose to Set The Building On Fire (But It's Not Your Fault) and have all the juicy plot shenanigans of that. Mechanically it's just a Mild, Moderate, and Severe Consequence that any player can use as if it were one of their own consequences, but directly affects the scene rather than the character.