Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I posted in the "what system should I use?" thread because I'd been itching to get back into my fairly thorough adaptation of the canceled Black Isle Fallout 3, and I was looking for a replacement system for Fallout PNP 2.0 that didn't require copious amounts of flow-killing math. I was pointed in FATE's direction, and while it looks intriguing I'm concerned with preserving as much Fallout flavor as possible, which means replicating as much of SPECIAL as I can when I inevitably retool FATE. I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure I'll get there.

So I have a few questions, some of which may be things I just haven't read yet, being partway into the core book:
1) Is there level progression in FATE, or anything of the sort? The Van Buren campaign was plotted out for a ~30 hour RPG, after all, and so far FATE seems to be tailored toward more traditional tabletop adventures, basically the difference between a novel series and a short story collection. Since the system seems narrative-focused, I assume your characters stay the same throughout the campaign in most respects, with stunts changing often? They're fairly explicit about the fact that challenge targets and roll numbers are not supposed to progressively rise, which would seem to prohibit traditional notions of leveling and the like.
2) Following from that, I'm unsure of how to model things like equipment and traits / perks, which are numerous and (sometimes nominally) differentiated. Maybe I'm just used to mechanics-heavy RPGs and should square myself with a game where most details are cosmetic rather than mechanical. I did play a FATE-like game once (Hollowpoint) in which there really weren't mechanical properties of objects at all, just skills and dice, and the particulars of a scene were there for flavor and imagery more than anything else.

I'm interested in playing in a FATE game as a player, so I can get a better hang of it and maybe not bungle GMing the Fallout game as a result, but a quick scan of the PBP forum seems to indicate that it's pretty exclusively an anime thing here, and I'm not into that. Oh well.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Paper Kaiju posted:

He was pointed to Apocalypse World. I know, because I'm the one who pointed it to him :D

Yeah, got the books and the writing's a bit... indirect. Not that I mind things being written in character but I got a bit lost. I'm going to keep going through it and see if it makes sense to me. But it does seem like a very unique system.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Looking into retrofitting the Atomic Robo ruleset for a Fallout game. Is that a good choice?

The game will be more along the lines of FO1/2/NV, less of an emphasis on bombast that the Bethsoft games. So I feel like "Action Science!", as a rule, will be less common. Am I misreading Atomic Robo TT's intent?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I think it's really going to depend on what you're doing. I think Atomic Robo would translate really well to a Brotherhood of Steel or Enclave-oriented game, where the heroes are well-equipped and have access to pre-war resources.

I think it's going to be hard to translate it into a like a hard-scrabble apocalyptic wilderness survival narrative, because stuff like Mega-Stunts still guarantees that a player character stands head and shoulders above any normal person.

Uh, that said, I think you should definitely crib Robo's approach to skills/modes and, by extension, aspects. Even if you don't have mega-stunts, weird modes/weird skills can contribute a lot of flavor. This is where you'd have a Super Mutant Mode that includes the skill Brutality, which lets the character overcome physical obstacles by ripping them apart, and defends against physical attacks by having them just bounce off.
Under Atomic Robo proper, you'd probably use that mode to permit a Mega-Stunt that includes like super strength, radiation resistance, and some variety of bulletproof, but in doing so you'd be making a character who is so *capable* that it's hard to imagine them struggling to survive or being seriously endangered by a bunch of normals with poorly-maintained rifles.
I appreciate the feedback! I should say that I'm not frontloading survival, so much. It's essentially a FONV sequel (the original PbP game that we'd be reviving is here). So we're playing in a post-post-apocalypse (on the verge of post-post-post-apocalypse, admittedly), so there's industrialized agriculture and regional governments and the like, as opposed to FO1 / FO3 post-apocalypse.

Basically we're looking at non-hardcore FONV, or less generously, a reskin of your typical D&D setting - there's wilderness with adventure and danger, but reasonably stable civilization with general stores and taverns not far from most stuff, and the characters aren't exactly superheroes but they're heroic, not average folk. So maybe a more tonally subdued Atomic Robo is what's called for.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 27, 2017