Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So, say you're running a Planescape FAE game set in Sigil.

What aspects would you give the city (and maybe the factions)? Would you consider tweaking the system for a more Planescape flavour any? I'm converting one of my games to Fate Accelerated and figure I might as well do some city stuff while I'm at it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm trying to figure out actual aspect names, I am aware city creation is a thing because that's what I'm doing. :v:

I will try the Planescape thread!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Those are actually pretty good. Thanks! :buddy:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The stunt list on the Evil Hat wiki is great. Which of these do you guys think is better?

quote:

Feel the Burn. You can push through incredible pain in order to reach your goal. You gain an additional mild consequence slot. This slot can only be used for physical harm.
Never Broken. You gain a -8 physical consequence which recovers in the same way a -2 consequence does.
Smooth Recovery/Still Standing/Stubborn. (requires Inner Strength.) You simply do not know when to quit. You gain an additional mild consequence slot. This slot can only be used for mental harm.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TurninTrix posted:

It's from the Fate System Toolkit, tied to one of the sample magic systems with a lot of ridiculous stunts like this. I'm... not sure why they threw it in without even checking if it meshes with the other stunts in the wiki page.

Yep, this. It turns out there are a bunch of Toolkit stunts listed there that don't mention this, and I thought some of them were pretty cool too. :negative:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

I've used something worst than that before.

This doesn't mean it's not that broken, it means the stunts you write are terrible. We know exactly how broken it is because disconnected from its magic system it is exactly four times more powerful than a stunt is supposed to be. :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

You see I'd actually believe this if there was any indication that they ever followed any inherent logic to them throughout the multiple games they made.

Fate Core posted:

Adding a Bonus to an Action
Another use for a stunt is to give a skill an automatic bonus under a particular, very narrow circumstance, effectively letting a character specialize in something. The circumstance should be narrower than what the normal action allows, and only apply to one particular action or pair of actions.

The usual bonus is +2 to the skill total. However, if you want, you can also express the bonus as two shifts of additional effect after the roll succeeds, if that makes more sense. Remember, higher shifts on a roll allows your action to be more effective in certain ways.

You can also use this to establish any effect worth two shifts as an additional benefit of succeeding at the skill roll. This might be Fair (+2) pas-sive opposition, the equivalent of a 2-point hit, a mild consequence, or an advantage that takes Fair (+2) opposition to remove.

hmmm

Ettin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 15, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

Vanilla stunts are so terrible. +Numbers... yay?

This is a problem I've been having while writing Inverse World Accelerated. +2 To A Thing stunts are loving boring, but part of my FAE conversion is redoing as many moves as stunts as I can, so I keep having to look for ways stunts can interact with the mechanics that aren't that. It works but it's a pain! :negative:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also, Pouring Wine requires Drinking from the Jug, which clears your lowest stress box. Stopping people from punching you in the dick every other time you use it is all Pouring Wine does.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 15, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

No it actually isn't because you got it completely wrong. The internal logic of that stunt tree is that you want to be attacked as often as possible because you'll be able to stack aspects faster than doing it normally. Its weirdly tactical for a game like Fate and it really isn't at all obvious that you can violate the action economy.

quote:

No it actually isn't because you got it completely wrong. The internal logic of that stunt is the exact opposite of what you assume it is. Its tricky to figure out because its only readily evident until you look at the stunt tree as a whole but its basically allowing you to violate the action economy by using the Defend action.

quote:

No it actually isn't because you got it completely wrong. The internal logic of that stunt is the exact opposite of what you assume it is. Admittedly, part of the problem is that you have to take the stunt tree on the whole to figure out what is going on because the other bunch of stunts give you as many Create an Advantage actions as you have defense rolls.

It is really hard to respond to how dumb "that can't be what that stunt does, because three different stunts in this eight-stunt tree give you bonuses for defending! I guess it's tricky to figure out though :smug:" is when you keep editing it to make it dumber.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Posting stuff for criticism, eh? Well, how about all the stunts I put together for Inverse World Accelerated? :toot:

(If someone would actually like to, comments are enabled! Please tell me who you are though in case I want to DISCUSS THINGS.)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bigup DJ posted:

I need permission?

It's briefly closed for now while I go through the comments I already got, I will edit something here when it's up again.

It's up now!

Ettin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 6, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Whoops, and I can't fix it on my phone. Send stuff to me on G+ if you want and I'll fix it in like 8-9h :frogbon:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

I've made a commentable copy - although it doesn't have all the old comments. Ettin, you get version control.

My old version is fixed now at least.

Also to answer some of your messages: Yes I am aware that "you get +2 to doing a certain thing" is a way stunts work, that is right there in the book! My problem with it is that "a +2 bonus" is a kind of boring incentive, and in the specific context of Inverse World Accelerated, if it were mostly +2-to-a-thing stunts I would not feel the book would as worth buying. Those stunts are super easy to write and usually milquetoast, you don't need to buy a book to tell you how to do it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So a while ago I posted a bunch of Inverse World Accelerated stunts and got some feedback on them! (End result based on responses: "gently caress it, close enough, let's do this".)

Since then, after working on Breakfast Cult and reading more Fate material, I've decided that stunts are better when they're written in a more conversational tone with a few common shorthand terms instead of small blocks of text that spell out exactly how everything works in detail. Now I'm making Gnome hold back on it while I redo them anyway. :negative:

On the bright side, totally flows better now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
If anyone here is waiting for Inverse World Accelerated, while Gnome does the layout I went ahead and threw my notes up here until the actual book is done.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Inverse World Accelerated is finally out! Now I can rest forever. :greenangel:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So hey, the Breakfast Cult Kickstarter is up. It's a FAE cosmic horror anime RPG and I hear the creator is pretty handsome.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I was trying out two columns for Breakfast Cult but I couldn't figure out a set that clicked. :negative:

(What would Brash be for there?)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I recruited a few pals to do writing for Breakfast Cult, and I've noticed something: all the "prolific" Fate writers I know off the top of my head write Fate stuff in an official capacity.

Are there actually people who do lots of third-party Fate products (I mean actual good ones, not Starbright) and I just don't know them or what? :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I think part of it is that Evil Hat has really done a good job of giving official support to what would normally be 3rd party projects. They also recruit people to do stuff for them fairly aggressively.

So that's two nos :v:

That makes sense, though! And there are plenty of good one-off games and fan content so it's not like I'm wanting for anything.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey, Fate peeps: Check this out!

quote:

So you’re interesting in pitching an idea for an upcoming issue of the Fate Codex? Great! We love getting new ideas from a diversity of people. If you’ve got a cool idea for quick start adventure, a Fate Core essay, an extra system, or even short fiction, then let us know. We’ll get in touch with you if we’re interested in your pitch.

Some details on the types of submissions we’re looking for:
  • Quick Start Adventures that contain a short setting, NPCs and plot hooks, and pregen characters (roughly 4,000 words).
  • Fate Core Essays that explain how to do exciting things with the Fate system in your local game (2,500 – 3,500 words).
  • Extra Systems that can be added to your game to provide new ways for your players to engage the fiction (1,000 – 1,500 words).
  • Short Fiction that will help to inspire you with new worlds and characters that will be statted up along with the prose (roughly 2,500 words).
We’re looking for anybody who has a good idea, and in particular we’d love to get more women and minority writers and designers to contribute. We want contributors from all levels of experience, too. Being new to Fate doesn't mean we won’t accept your pitch.

Emphasis mine. :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
In case someone who cares missed it: I put up a Breakfast Cult Halloween playtest. It's pretty stripped down (a lot of the monster rules aren't included frex) but there's an adventure!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

With the Muvians, did you have any ideas about their actual appearance, or is it intentionally vague?

It's intentionally vague because individual Muvians can be warped in different ways. Some of them are kind of humanoid (bipeds with two arms and two legs and one head, at least), some aren't even a little humanoid. There are a few common traits (e.g. some humanoid ones look partly hollowed out) and the ones that bother decorating their bodies do them in similar ways though.

I wrote the three in Slamatai with hints at their appearance (Greeley is a monster ape, Kipling is a straight-up non-humanoid wall-crawling beast, etc.) but the rest is up to you!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So some of you have noticed, but I finally released Breakfast Cult this weekend! :toot:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Serf posted:

In other words, this game looks dope.

Yeah! It's a pre-Breakfast Cult project I polished off so I could have a little extra dosh for BCult's stretch goals, but I'm proud of it. You can thank Quinn Murphy for the culture stuff though, my culture stuff is just a trimmed version of what he wrote for the Fate Codex.

The main draw for characters is the Job system, which is basically how I'd convert Inverse World's playbooks into Fate Core today. Each Job describes an archetype with a few sample aspects, a partly-filled skill pyramid, and some stunts that are optional but can only be taken by people with that Job. Here's the Outlaw:

quote:

SAMPLE ASPECTS
A Heart Of Gold? Can I Sell It?; Apex Anarchist; Black Market Smuggler; Freelance Ruin Raider; It's Not My Fault!; Princess Of A Fallen Kingdom; Raised By Pirates; Sky-Cattle Rustler; Thieves' Guild Accountant; Wanted In Every Port

SKILLS
Great (+4): Guile or Stealth
Good (+3): Mobility or Thievery, one other
Fair (+2): Combat or Provoke, two others
Average (+1): Any four skills

OUTLAW STUNTS
Bad Behaviour [Outlaw]: When you're committing a crime, or at least doing something that should be a crime, you can spend a fate point to use Guile in place of any other skill for one roll.
Thievery Loves Company [Outlaw]: The language of crime is international. You can use Thievery in place of Connect when dealing with criminals and outlaws.
Wanted [Outlaw]: Your past deeds have made you infamous. Once per session, you get a free invoke on your Outlaw aspect when taking advantage of this. However, when you're compelled due to your wanted status, the cost is doubled: you're offered two fate points for accepting, and must pay two to refuse.

There are 16 Jobs total: Arcanist, Captain, Clerk, Diplomat, Entertainer, Merchant, Outlaw, Pilgrim, Priest, Ranger, Rider, Survivor, Templar, Tinker, Tourist, and Warrior. Fractured Skies is largely about things like exploration and trade over combat, so a lot of Jobs aren't combat-focused. For example, the Clerk is a mix of faceless bureaucrat and Rock Okajima, the Templar is a paladin/freelance accountant (Death And Taxes: I Do Both), and the Tourist is a hitchhiker who blunders into life-threatening situations to take holiday snaps and somehow survives.

Basically, if you liked Inverse World you'll probably like this. Incidentally, if you got Inverse World Accelerated on DriveThruRPG, you should have a coupon for 50% off Fractured Skies. :getin:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I didn't. I thought we were friends, Ettin. :(

People have been using the coupon so it should have gone out. Let me know if it doesn't turn up and we can work something out!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah, could be.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can players compel NPCs? Or other players?

Yep! In those cases the player spends the fate point and whoever is being compelled (either the player's PC or the GM) receives it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Dresden Files Accelerated is out. How is it, especially compared to the old version?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Has anyone published just a long list of Fate Core stunts somewhere? Something for lazy GMs or players who aren't too comfortable with Fate to go look at when they can't think of a stunt to write up.

(Also, corollary to the above: has anyone put together a Fate Stunt Maker like the old Dungeon World monster maker?)

There's this, but the author included a bunch of stunts from Fate System Toolkit without including the alternate rules that balanced them, and also a bunch of his own stunts, and hasn't updated it since before Atomic Robo came out, so I can't guarantee it'll help.

This is a stunt maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Everyone is really stoked about Atomic Robo's way of handling Fate stuff, but.. I dunno. The fact that there are only four proposed modes has always been a sticking point to me. At this point just do what Kerberos Club did and provide a bunch of smaller ones.

I mean, there are thirteen smaller Weird Modes (Beast, Dinosaur, Martial Artist, Mutant, Pilot, Psychokinetic, Reporter, Robot, Secret Agent, Soldier, Spirit, Telepath, Warbot) in the core book plus rules for making more. Or did I misread and you meant something else? :v: