Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm a little surprised you got pointed to FATE and not Apocalypse World,

He was pointed to Apocalypse World. I know, because I'm the one who pointed it to him :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah, got the books and the writing's a bit... indirect. Not that I mind things being written in character but I got a bit lost. I'm going to keep going through it and see if it makes sense to me. But it does seem like a very unique system.

Yeah, it does have that issue. The system is amazing; it's been ported into nearly a dozen other commercially released games, but its definitely esoteric.

Nice thing about FATE, though, is that once you learn it for one game, you can use it for pretty much everything else.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Captain Walker posted:

God is the conflict resolution system ever great though; death to d20 and ability scores it's all about 2d6 plus flat number now.

Upside of FATE is that four Fudge dice provide an even better bell curve of probability than 2d6. Your stats are rated by how you perform on average, and you can reliably expect to roll between -1/+1 degrees off that.