Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
A FATE version of EP means there's going to be a version of EP I will have a chance to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Loki_XLII posted:

Mental Conflicts seem kind of nebulous to me. I've had situations where one group wants something from another and uses social skills to get it, but I've been running those with Contests, because that situation sounds like two mutually exclusive goals, and I'm not sure exactly when somebody is trying to harm another. I guess torture would definitely count, but that seems both limited, and extremely niche for heroic adventure games.

When do social/mental skills become harmful?

If you're trying to get something, it's a mental contest. If you're trying to wreck something or there's real danger of harm, it's a mental combat. It's a matter of stakes.

For example: When Riggs and Murtaugh are having their little dickwaving contest at the shooting range in the first Lethal Weapon, that would be a Contest.

When Riggs is trying to trick the potential jumper or Murtaugh is trying to see if Riggs is suicidally insane or faking it, there are real stakes of someone getting hurt and multiple tete a tetes. That's a Combat.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

That sounds like a recipe for players needing to alpha strike and engage in all sort of groggy conflict avoidance.

...then again, my experience with FATE is Dresden and its need to one-shot an entire OOOOOO[mild][mod][severe] stress track in a single attack.

Okay, maybe not the need, but the desire to.

And this is why Anna doesn't use her magic :v:

But having a game where you need to get the drop on people or not fight at all would go a ways towards making FATE work better for horror.

BryanChavez posted:

Yup. Depending on how much stress you inflict, you inflict a different consequence. It's mechanically just like starting with no stress boxes. In compensation for not having the buffer of a track, you first have to create an advantage on someone before you can inflict Stress - 'Backed into a Corner', 'Off Balance', 'Got The Jump On Them', etc. Works pretty well for my group.

So the Swashbuckling/Kriegzepplin Valkyrie rules? What's the average combat length for your group?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Alpha Wave is an adventure that's cyberpunk.

The Twenty Palaces guy's setting is vaguely non-Tolkien.

There's no noir setting or urban fantasy horror outside of maybe No Exit. There also isn't an infantry war setting, just Kriegzepplin for flyboys and flygirls.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Don't give your gribblies stats like a player, make them part of the environment. Obstacles to be overcome, not enemies to be vanquished.

The Bronze Rule makes them enemies to be vanquished if you don't want to make it a contest/chase.

I want to see gonzo urban fantasy crossed with heroic bloodshed; a revival of Feng Shui and a re-imagining of Unknown Armies.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

No offence meant, but gently caress the Bronze Rule. gently caress it hard in this instance. In horror, you do not have opponents, you have scenarios and situations. Any enemy you have that can be beaten in a regular straight-on fight is going to be inconsequential. In a zombie movie, you can kill lots of zombies, but those individual zombies are pointless. It is the vast horde of the dead that is the threat, and there's no way to effectively murder that one shambling member at a time.

So if you want, sure, you can have the minor mooks who exist only to inflict stress and consequences on the players. But if you're doing something like Alien where it's a single entity menacing your players, that entity does not get stats. It would have no stress boxes, it wouldn't be getting into prolonged fights. That's counter-intuitive to horror as a genre.

Settle down, thiefcorg.

Disregarding things like mental/wealth/psychological stress, Poltergeist or every slasher flick ever, you can use bits and pieces of building a character in order to create a long-form challenge. Long-form challenges are handled as Conflicts unless you run a long sequence of interlocking Contests.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Scrape posted:

Anyway, I need advice on specialized equipment.

Simplest thing would be to make it a Gear Aspect; you have a Safecracker that you get a free invoke on when doing safe cracking things, possibly with the catch that it's Loud or has a Distinctive Burn Pattern.

Second easiest thing to do would be to work with the stunt/aspect is always true idea and be like Safecracker: once per run, you can bypass any one safe or locking mechanism, given enough time.

Third easiest thing would be to adapt FAE Approaches to your infiltration skill, then give your gear stats like a character. That would make certain types of safecrackers being better at certain approaches/situations. Fr'instance, a sophisticated bug-type can burn through any electronic lock but it's not going to do jackshit against a big slab of metal, whereas a powerdrill can crack through said big slab of metal, but if you use it against an electronic lock you might just break the opening mechanism.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Someone was asking about how to do mental stress in Cosmic Bumfights earlier, so here's my quickie hack.

First, just one composure/sanity track, but a separate set of mental consequences. When you take a consequence, you get a "make or break" roll (Will vs. Consequence rating or stress, depending). If you make it, you gained a Hardened to X consequence that doesn't wash off without therapy, but gives you mental Armor: Consequence against that type of horror. If you don't, you get some neurosis based on the stressor. Once you cash in your Extreme (if there's no other free consequence you must cash in your extreme), you're either a sociopath or nuts.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 6, 2013

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So work is boring and I'm listening to a mix of 80s action movie themes and sound clips. I'm now musing on what portions of Fate Core or FAE would be best for running an action movie style game (be it martial arts, guns blazing, or both) or even go whole-hog and run Feng Shui in Fate/FAE.

My first instinct is FAE just to keep thing as fast and furious as possible, but I'm not sure.

Your first instinct is a right instinct. Steal schticks from Feng Shui for stunts.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Technically Desty, they're the same thing. Consequences are a nasty aspect or aspects you can play upon. So it's up to you if you want to introduce the Bad Ideas track with separate consequences like an Extra or if you just want to have it take up a regular consequence slot.

Random thought about FAE/Fate Core: I wonder why aspects don't work up front like the Superpower stunts in Wild Blue. I.E., because of {aspect}, I get {bonus}. You get freebie stunts equal to your starting aspects before guest starring, so it's not a difficult leap of logic.

I think if you did that, you could make the stunts you pay for more interesting with abilities like I Read That In A Book or the Sherlock Holmes investigation one or Armor of Fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Mechanics wise they don't even remotely have to be the same exact thing. The problem is that thematics wise what type of genre you are emulating would help in this case as I doubt something like No Exit's autosuccess mechanic would be appropriate for some games.

What? A consequence is a negative aspect that occurs when a condition is met. Desty's talking about a system that hands out a negative aspect when a condition is met.

But yeah, No Exit's autosuccess at the cost of a thing would work too. That's a function of the consequence system in No Exit though.