Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Some examples off the top of my head:

- Player A has confronted the Arch Bishop in the middle of the town square, and she is attempting to expose him as a vampire in front of a crowd -- Player A might hurl an accusation as an Attack, and the Arch Bishop could make excuses to defend. If the Arch Bishop fills out his mental stress track entirely, he might lose control and say something incriminating.

- Player B has been wrestling with his evil twin, and is now being held at gunpoint by the captain of the guard -- Player B and the evil twin must each try to convince the captain that they are the real Player B. Player B might attack the evil twin's credibility by insisting that the captain will have to shoot them both, whereas the evil twin would be forced to defend by insisting that that is only a trick to defend against it.

- Rita the barmaid has been framed for a crime she didn't commit -- Player C has agreed to step up and speak for her at the trial. He attacks the accuser's evidence in front of the judge.

- Player A is attempting to save the captain of the guard's life, and must defeat Death in a board game to do so.

You could run these things as Contests if you really wanted. You could also say the same for physical fights, though; both parties could just roll their Fight, best two out of three exactly as if they were running a race or whatever. That doesn't seem quite as engaging, though, does it?

The Conflict rules try to emulate a more active struggle -- a heated argument with high stakes is going to be more exciting as a Conflict than it might be as a Contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

It would also be really easy to do in Core. You'd just take away one of the tracks and use the remaining one for both.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Core is made to be hosed around with to your heart's content. Like, the book even mentions adding a third stress track for wealth or something if it fits your game.

As far as I can see, the only immediate effect to making physical and mental stress be represented in the same track is that there is hypothetically less reason to diversify. A character with a lot of points in Provoke but none in Fight becomes more viable in general. If you think that's a problem, consider tweaking other things to avoid it; FAE doesn't use skills at all, so it's not an issue there.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Make them depend on either Will or Physique, whichever is higher.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Thinking that a determined player with +6 in Forceful could not go through a game kicking in every door and punching/intimidating every NPC he meets is a little bit naive, I think. Sure, theoretically a Forcefull success would net a worse result in some some situations than another approach would, but with that setup my next best approach is +2. That is four points below, equal to the largest possible penalty I could take from a dice roll. So sure I could try to do something Clever and rewire the control panel, but screw that when I have such a higher chance of success for just punching the loving thing in.

I just think that handing out huge static number bonuses is a bad idea in general. It breaks the math, and incentivises this kind of one-note character. Particularly when loading up on the biggest single bonus I can get is the best way to stop bad things from happening to me. Tolly, would you mind explaining why aspects do not adequately model powers the way you want in your game? All you've said is that you don't like them. I feel like it would help if you would tell us your reasoning there.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Fate Worlds Vol.2 p.234 posted:

BIG STOMPY ROBOTS VS. TINY SQUISHY HUMANS

The robots are the main focus of the battles in the mecha media that in-spired the game. Ships, starfighters, and other vehicles of war are there to be stomped, or used as a momentary distraction for an opponent to strike at. Even the giant mecha that inspired siege armour aren’t much better. They may look big and impressive, but are just as susceptible to a hero’s
“saving-the-day” laser blast as any bad guy.

Without systems to shut down and absorb stress, anything attacked by armour is at a severe disadvantage. A battle between opponents of vastly differing sizes can be run with Fate Core rules without worrying about scale or extra modifiers. The smaller opponent can set up aspects like Hiding From View or Clinging to The Armour’s Side. The larger opponent can do the same with aspects like Rumbling Footsteps and Your Puny Blasts Are No Match for My Tellurian Armor! Ha! Ha! HAAAA! This makes uneven contests more interesting and manageable for aill involved.

Alternatively, a scene of knights sabotaging an opponent’s armour could be run as a tense challenge. Skulking to get inside the armour undetected, Zeal to climb up the armor, Smithy to know what lines to cut, Vigor to get past the power core without harm, and so on.

In the world of CAMELOT Trigger, attacking an unguarded opponent is considered a violation of the rules of knightly warfare. Knights are far more valuable as the subject of a ransom; those who engage in dishonorable conduct will be shunned by other knights.

Basically, Camelot Trigger is designed with the idea that players on foot could hypothetically still take down a mecha of they needed to. But because of that, if you want the combat to be different from other fights, yes you are going to need to use thing like aspects that way in order to require players to do more than run up and punch the robot to death. A "Siege Armour" aspect or whatever is not going to mean that your players suddenly don't stand a chance -- it is going to mean they're going to need to do something to justify being able to hurt the mecha, though, and Core gives them plenty of buttons to press in order to do that. It won't make the task insurmountable. Just more cinematic and interesting. With FATE, if you want an enemy to be tougher than the PCs you're going to need to insert something to mechanically make that so, because the default assumption is that the PCs kick a lot of rear end.

You could always do the other thing the book suggests and run it as a series of challenges, if the idea bothers you. You could even still deal stress to the robot as they completed acts of sabotage; I played a FAE game where the GM statted up a storm as an enemy and we needed to do things to weather the night in order to defeat it -- it was a really cool and memorable scene, and it gave us a situation where we weren't helpless, but still couldn't solve the problem by punching it in the face.