Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So I just hacked together a quick setting-agnostic magic ability for Fate Core, was wondering if anyone wanted to take a look at the numbers to see if this is workable or not. In particular, I was wondering whether the refresh cost and skills were right as they were, or if I should change them.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nXTzVggim3txMMFg-3xmmxnZsL3g3rgpVyFuCUnrCr4/pub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So I'm thinking of running a FAE JoJo's Bizarre Adventure PbP, and the way I wanna handle Stands in it is by letting the player choose either an extra Aspect (for more complicated powers that wouldn't necessarily directly affect specific rolls) or an extra Stunt (for stuff like "being able to hit things really hard" or "being able to loop time backwards to undo an action") to describe the Stand's power.

Is this a good system or no? The reason I'm not just using one or the other is because JoJo powers can get loving weird; there's one in Part 3 that ages whoever's in the user's shadow backwards until they pop out of existence, there's one that can go into mirrors and attack people's reflections, there's even one that takes people's wishes and uses them to form items from dirt. There are some that Stunts would work for, like Star Platinum (which is basically just "hit things a lot of times really hard") and Silver Chariot ("hit things really fast with a sword"), but for a lot of them a +2 bonus to a roll under specific circumstances doesn't really seem like it would make sense; an aspect that can be invoked (maybe only requiring a fate point every second time, so as to not discourage the PCs from using it liberally) would make more sense.

I'm hacking together an ultralight FATE system for JJBA and right now the way I'm handling Stands is that : Calling out your stand costs a Fate Point, every stand has a strength (a narrow category of actions where they get a +2 to relevant rolls, e.g. Star platinum gets a bonus to offensive physical conflict rolls, Harvest gets a bonus for searching for things or observing the environment) a weakness (same but in reverse, e.g. Silver Chariot receives a penalty to any act of strength not directly related yo swordfighting) and a Special Ability (spend a fate point to basically control the narrative within strict parameters: The World can stop time for five subjective seconds, so when the user activates this ability they can essentially declare themselves as having done any action unopposed as long as they could have done it in that window of time)

Its a bit janky but I think it works, since this is for a FATE system so stripped down it doesn't even have approaches, just stunts and aspects- JJBA is a setting that reacts negatively to granular rules, since that bogs down the extent of available shenanigans. Still need to play test it though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I should clarify that its only one fate point and its available for the whole scene, its really only there to herd players into approaching problems in a way other than "immediately summon ghost punch mans to deck NPC," and encourage them to try and think in ways other than direct combat.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The thing about scale is that it applies at the GM's discretion, just because you're a true Fae who ostensibly exists two steps up the Scale ladder from the ready of your party didn't mean that you always act at that scale in everything you do.