Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Great OP. I feel like a sucker for not getting the Fate Worlds book(s) in hardcover, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Day After Ragnarok: Fate Edition is up for preorders ($20 for print & PDF), and backers can get the PDF in the stash with a discount code for the book.
I've been wanting this for a while.

I'm still a Fate newbie. How do the rules look?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

I posted in the "what system should I use?" thread because I'd been itching to get back into my fairly thorough adaptation of the canceled Black Isle Fallout 3, and I was looking for a replacement system for Fallout PNP 2.0 that didn't require copious amounts of flow-killing math. I was pointed in FATE's direction, and while it looks intriguing I'm concerned with preserving as much Fallout flavor as possible, which means replicating as much of SPECIAL as I can when I inevitably retool FATE. I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure I'll get there.

So I have a few questions, some of which may be things I just haven't read yet, being partway into the core book:
1) Is there level progression in FATE, or anything of the sort? The Van Buren campaign was plotted out for a ~30 hour RPG, after all, and so far FATE seems to be tailored toward more traditional tabletop adventures, basically the difference between a novel series and a short story collection. Since the system seems narrative-focused, I assume your characters stay the same throughout the campaign in most respects, with stunts changing often? They're fairly explicit about the fact that challenge targets and roll numbers are not supposed to progressively rise, which would seem to prohibit traditional notions of leveling and the like.
2) Following from that, I'm unsure of how to model things like equipment and traits / perks, which are numerous and (sometimes nominally) differentiated. Maybe I'm just used to mechanics-heavy RPGs and should square myself with a game where most details are cosmetic rather than mechanical. I did play a FATE-like game once (Hollowpoint) in which there really weren't mechanical properties of objects at all, just skills and dice, and the particulars of a scene were there for flavor and imagery more than anything else.

I'm interested in playing in a FATE game as a player, so I can get a better hang of it and maybe not bungle GMing the Fallout game as a result, but a quick scan of the PBP forum seems to indicate that it's pretty exclusively an anime thing here, and I'm not into that. Oh well.
Funny enough, that seems to be what this guy has been doing.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296251

There are a few more fate threads taking about his game in the forum, too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I posted about Day After Ragnarok on my Facebook and now all my friends want me to run it for them. So that will be happening before long. I went ahead and ordered a hard copy, with the discount code, because why not.