Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I'm in agreement with Quadratic_Wizard here: if suppressive fire gives you a bunch of free attacks out of turn, it's not only too powerful in terms of game mechanics but also in narrative terms: the whole point of suppressive fire is that you're taking shots to keep whomever it is you're shooting at on the defensive while sacrificing accuracy. By the rules it should thus be modeled as something that interferes with enemy attacks, but if you actually want to shoot to kill that should be modeled as an attack that you can only do on your own turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Inspired by the discussion a couple of pages back I now want to play a Fate character with "Constantly on Fire" as their Trouble.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, basically whenever you're playing Fate you should be thinking more in terms of "What would make an awesome action scene in a movie?" rather than "How do I get the best bonuses in combat?"

Because with enough creative thinking the former will actually inform the latter.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 12, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Hmmm, so basically the difference in level between your home reality's, say, Technology rating and the Technology rating of the reality you're currently on determines how bad of a backlash you'll get if you try to do something with Technology that's not appropriate to the reality they're in?

How about this: each reality has a mini character sheet of sorts, with each of the axioms rated on a ladder (so a high Technology world might have Technology rated at +6 or something) as well as a couple of Aspects that relate to that reality. The axioms act as a skill cap for actions relevant to that axiom in that reality so, for an example, on a low-technology world with Technology rated at Average (+1) a character trying to build a working combustion engine with Crafts would use the lower of their skill or the reality's Technology axiom.

A player could use a Fate point to momentarily bring in the axiom of their own reality, so in the above scenario assuming the character had Great (+4) Crafts and their own reality supported Great Technology, they could momentarily raise the skill cap.

The aspects of each reality could also be used for compels and invocations while in that reality. Not sure, this is just something I came up with real quick.

Another way to look at it would be to use axioms for setting passive opposition to actions while in that reality. The way I'm picturing this is that each time you perform an action in that reality you'd have to also overcome the axiom with the relevant roll. Failing this overcome roll would bring in the aforementioned backlash from reality.

So, Shooty McShooterson is on a low technology world where the passive obstacle for Technology is set at Great (+4). He shoots a man and gets a result of +3, enough to beat the man's Defend roll and dealing stress as normal, but since the roll was not enough to overcome the passive obstacle of Technology rolls on the world he gets some form of backlash from reality.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

thefakenews posted:

If anyone's interested, the complete set of playbooks is here.
These are really cool and make me want to run this. If you'd be okay with this, I'd very much like to run a FAE game using these at a convention in two months.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I got the Atomic Robo RPG from one of the latest Bundles of Holding and I have to say this is by far my favorite presentation of Fate. Fate as presented in Fate Core is a good game but it being represented as a generic toolkit system makes it somewhat bland. Atomic Robo presents the rules just right, with examples from the fiction. I especially love how they managed to tie the action in the comics to the table chatter. ("What do you want to call the advantage?" "Buicks!")

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

My personal fix would be to give each of the Approaches two Actions you can do with it, and the other actions can be bought as stunts: I know it goes against the freeform nature of FAE, but saying "You can only Attack and Overcome Forcefully" or "You can't attack Sneakily without a stunt" doesn't add too much rules weight while still being in time with the spirit of the game.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

It's Not My Fault looks seriously fun. Unfortunately buying the actual cards would mean paying $20 for postage because DriveThru doesn't have a printer for cards anywhere in Europe, so I guess I'm going to have to buy the PDF and print my own cards.

Just playing with the online character generator I'm seeing a lot of potential for this: instead of players picking two cards and then drawing one at random, have character creation done in the style of a draft, so each player starts with four cards, they pick one, then pass the rest of their hand to the player on their left, rinse and repeat until everyone has three cards.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

On of the other GoD GMs noticed that you can also use spare character aspect cards for quick NPCs; just grab the card and the three approaches listed are the +3/+2/+1. Boom, done.

This is similar to what I was thinking of: with five players (and four cards each at the beginning of the "draft") you'd end up with five unused cards. Grab those and you'd have an instant named villain for the game!

It also scales nicely: for a group of three you end up with a named villain with three cards (so, on par with the PCs), for a group of four you'd have a four-card named villain (a bit stronger than the PCs), and for a group of five you'd have a five-card named villain (considerably stronger than the PCs, but the PCs will probably still defeat them by virtue of strength in numbers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Iron Street is the only one that calls to me, but it's calling loud.

:same:

I mean, the others sound okay, but nothing about those pitches really draws me in an "I have to play this" kind of way. Then again, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, because in the past I've been positively surprised by the quality of Worlds of Adventure products, so one of these might just have something to the final product that just really clicks with me.