Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Does anyone have any experience with Wild Blue and its power system? I'm thinking about using it for a FAE Urban Fantasy game. It seems like it would work well for a lot of typical Urban Fantasy characters like Vampires, Wizards, and Werewolves but I'd like to hear how it has worked out in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So I'm not a big fan of Physique and Will in Fate Core, am I really missing out too much on just throwing these out and letting people take "Strongman of Cook County" as an aspect?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Well I'm not really sure I like the extra stress boxes, it seems like it is just another checkbox to have a useful combat character. Will power is always kind of weird in an rpg and you already have compels to tempt them. I haven't played Fate Core yet though, just FAE so I am not sure if it works better in practice.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So I saw that Tianxia has been released, I can't find any reviews of it though. Any backers mind sharing their impressions?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Quick Atomic Robo Question. Could AR do a lower powered more horror type game like Fringe or the X-Files by dialing down the characters and situations, or do the modes lead to too much character power to really pull that off?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Hyperactive posted:

Modes just give you ideas to hang your Aspects on, and then give you your skills and their level. You do end up with the majority of skills that exist in the main book, and some of those can get pretty high if you've stacked them just so. It's a game about highly knowledgeable and skilled people!

A super quick solution: have your players select, say, 2 or 3 skills from each Mode. That's all they get. And then maybe declare no skill can be above, let's say, a +2, so no one can game their way into being +5 ultra snipers. The lack of high level skills could make Brainstorms and Inventing a little harder, but maybe that'll fit your game. And it should be noted that your group can fail a Brainstorm or an Invention and still 1) have fun with the process, 2) get a useful result (just not the one that was intended), 3) move the game forward.

Mega-stunts would have to be tightly controlled or forbidden altogether. But those are intended to be used by robots and monsters instead of ordinary humans, so that's not a gamebreaker.

Thanks for answering. I would want the characters to be competent, but not super humanly so. Fox Mulder rather then Jenkins. The Brainstorming is what gave me the idea in the first place since the standard Fringe episode is 1. Find a weird thing. 2. Collect evidence. 3. Brainstorm. 4. Stop the weird thing. And I am hoping AR would be a good way to do that and use player input.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Blasphemeral posted:

Yeah, that's what I said. The issue is you can't always flip. You can only flip a small percentage of the time:

If you roll -4, it's a +8. That happens 1.2% of the time (1/81).
If you roll a -3, it's worth a +6. That happens 4.9% of the time (4/81).
If you roll a -2, it's worth a +4. That happens 12.3% of the time (10/81).
If you roll a -1, it's worth exactly +2. That hapens 19.7% of the time (16/81).
The remaining 61% of times (50/81), it's strictly worse than a +2.

So it's unreliable. Most of the time (61% of the time) it's worse than a +2 stunt.

It doesn't seem like a terrible stunt, certainly.

[edit] for clarifying bolds
[edit2] moved bolds slightly

Something you are missing here is that if you roll a -1 it is still potentially an advantage because you might not have an appropriate aspect that you can invoke.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I haven't played it yet but I like it from reading it. I'm more interested in using the mantles and neat things they're doing with conditions than I am in actually playing it though. This isn't a knock against the game really, just as someone who doesn't read the books the setting just strikes me as a very by the numbers urban fantasy with every sort of supernatural thrown in. You could use it to play a game where everyone had the same mantle if you wanted to play a game of all wizards, but I think that would end up feeling very samey.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
They sent it out to all the backers of the original fate kickstarter. It's in the same place as all the other kickstarter pdf rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I liked M12. It's mostly useful if you are actually planning on running an M12 game or another one where you are part of a large beaurocracy though, the level of detail isn't needed to use them as antagonists and there isn't really that much neat you can steal for a Tesladyne based game. The new modes are all good and the requisition system is a good alternative to brainstorming for a certain kind of game.