Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just off the top of my head...

Kung-Fu

Actually, there is Tianxia, which should cover any martial arts needs you have. Well, I assume it does. Not a backer, so I haven't seen the rules yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

petrol blue posted:

Thanks for the writeup. It's a real shame, the idea of generations of mechs and, well, a load of the rule ideas seem like great concepts. Shame about the execution.

Could you share a bit more about the setting? The rpgnow description basically just says 'mecha'.

Well, if that means you want a description of the four main factions, you're going to get what you want.

The One Earth Accord
You can probably figure out their deal by just looking at their name. They're the ruling body of the entire planet, and whether they're the one hope for a peaceful future or the people crushing humanity under their heels depends on who you ask. They know what's best for humanity, and they're going to do it.

Their Titans are the most "standard" of the four factions, mainly because their pilots get extensive cybernetics to interface directly with them. Eventually these interfaces get good enough that they can just upload a bunch of combat experience into their pilots. As the Generations go higher the line between the pilot and their Titan is going to just get more and more blurred*.

The Nation of Oya
Project Oya began when a group of scientists in western Africa got tired of the constant cycle of warlords too much of the planet has been stuck in. They set out to make their own group of peacekeepers, strong enough to end wars and wise enough to not continue them. The strange part is, they actually did it. They brought peace to everywhere they could. Then they invented the Hearthfire Drive, stuck them in the first Titans and basically ended the war against the future Stratos Collective singlehandedly. Then they found out that the area around a buried Hearthfire Drive will become a veritable paradise. Today they just stay holed up in their little slices of heaven and stay so neutral that everyone wants to punch them just so they stop being a bunch of inscrutable quasimystic fucks.

Their Titans are weird and biomechanical, all thanks to the Hearthfire Drive being weird and biomechanical. Think Evangelion minus the issues and Gnostic imagery, and they're only going to become more alive as time goes on*.

The People's Collective
You can figure out these guys by looking at their name too. They hate the One Earth Accord, they aren't that fond of anyone else, and they just want the common people to have a voice. Maybe they're a bunch of insane terrorists, maybe they're the only ones fighting for the common man. Who knows?

Their Titans are almost entirely repurposed industrial equipment. Sure, it's a power loader with a bunch of armor strapped on, but that arc welder it's carrying can cut through your mech as well as a bulkhead. They're only going to get better at kitbashing stuff together, and if they get their hands on the right secret government projects they'll eventually be able to flat out make Titan parts from scrap mid-battle*.

The Stratos Collective
When oil became obsolete, a lot of the corporations didn't know what to do. One of them, StarCC, decided the best move going forward was to go to the asteroid belt, make a bunch of clones, put those clones in ships and conquer the Earth. The Oya and their Hearthfire Drives made sure that didn't happen, but that still left a bunch of clones in space with nowhere else to go. The Accord gave them homes on Earth (that used to be the homes of Collective members), but there was still a lot of tension over the war that just ended. Eventually they just... left. Flew back to the asteroid belt and made a base there. But even though they technically have a place to call their own, space is no place to live. They're desperate to have solid ground under their feet again, and they're willing to go to war to get some.

Their Titans are nuts, for three reasons. One, they're really into individuality as a concept, since so many members of the Collective are the same biologically. Two, building in zero Gs lets them build some insane stuff. Three, resource limitations mean that each Titan needs to be the best it can be. They won't have enough mining operations set up to go really nuts until the later generations, but when they do...*

*Note: None of the stuff about what the factions will look like in the later generations is set in stone. The official stance is that after Gen 4 (the default starting generation, when things start going from relatively realistic mechs to crazy gonzo stuff) the PCs will have shaken things up enough that all they can offer is suggestions for the future.

And it turns out TP wrote a big effortpost while I was writing up my big effortpost, but hell if I'm going to write all this and not post it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

MadScientistWorking posted:

No it actually isn't because you got it completely wrong.

The internal logic of that stunt tree is that you want to be attacked as often as possible because you'll be able to stack aspects faster than doing it normally. Its weirdly tactical for a game like Fate and it really isn't at all obvious that you can violate the action economy.

No it actually isn't because you got it completely wrong. The internal logic of that stunt is the exact opposite of what you assume it is. Its tricky to figure out because its only readily evident until you look at the stunt tree as a whole but its basically allowing you to violate the action economy by using the Defend action.

No it actually isn't because you got it completely wrong. The internal logic of that stunt is the exact opposite of what you assume it is. Admittedly, part of the problem is that you have to take the stunt tree on the whole to figure out what is going on because the other bunch of stunts give you as many Create an Advantage actions as you have defense rolls.

Hey, can you do us all a favor and figure out your argument before you post, instead of editing arguments into your post after you make it over the course of ten minutes? Because that really just makes it hard to respond to you.

Also, you're talking about the Drunken Monkey stunt tree as a whole. The Drinking From The Jug line of stunts, which you can take without taking anything else from the Drunken Monkey stunt tree, work the way Ettin describes. The tactical uses of the stunts change if you take stunts from the Drunkard's Stagger line of stunts, yes, but that doesn't change what the stunts actually do.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

ShineDog posted:

Largely I think the aspect tagging system works really well, but I do kinda think that there are times where just a straight out modifier just seems a little simpler.

Just remember that aspects are always fictionally true even when they don't have any free invokes left. Say you're fighting some random terrorists and you already used your free invoke on Hiding Behind A Pillar. Can the random mooks on the other side of the room shoot you? No, since you're behind a pillar and they're some random mooks with cheap AK-47s and they can't get the [i[fictional justification[/i] to keep attacking you. So instead they try to pin you down (Create an Advantage) and send some guys to another zone where they can get a better shot, and next round you'll have to choose between dealing with the flanking mooks or move out of this particular piece of cover (thus removing the Hiding Behind A Pillar aspect, since you're no longer hiding behind a pillar).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Squidster posted:

It was literally brought down by a squirrelly hogwrestler, her blacksmith friend and an washed-up inventor shouting words of encouragement. It was definitely a badass moment, but I feel like they could reliably reproduce it every day of the week.

And I do want man-vs-mecha combat, so I don't want to lock it away from them by requiring an aspect or megaweapon. I just want fighting a mecha to be more of a boss battle and less of a speedbump.

The main advantage that mechs get in Camelot Trigger is that they basically get more skills/stunts, which they can then convert into consequences. This by itself is enough for them to beat a regular person in single combat, but it's not enough to overcome the PCs having three times as many actions as it. You need to give it multiple actions in a round, you need to fictionally stop people from just punching it to death, you to do something to make it work like a boss and not just another character.

At least, you need to do that if you run it as a combat. You could just run a challenge around trying to disable a mech without being seen and then blown up by it's Doom Cannon, although it might be hard to justify it when they just beat a mech by themselves.

(And Gazetteer basically posted the same thing while I was writing this, but I'm already here so I might as well post.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Yeah, Lynx has the right idea. Going for a strict "Pilot d8 equals Pilot +2" conversion is going to lead to weirdness somewhere or another, but making a Fate NPC that's vaguely similar to the original Firefly NPC shouldn't be that hard. It helps that Firefly's probably the easiest Cortex+ game to convert to Fate, since it has a traditional stat+skill structure and it's version of distinctions can be broken down into aspects and the basis for stunts.