Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Paper Kaiju posted:

Upside of FATE is that four Fudge dice provide an even better bell curve of probability than 2d6. Your stats are rated by how you perform on average, and you can reliably expect to roll between -1/+1 degrees off that.

I think it would be the best of both worlds if FATE had DW/AW partial successes (I know FATE does with ties, but how often do those come up) and no rolling for the GM. I think using the moves in FATE would be easy enough to do.

Pretty sure that would be my dream system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I don't remember which game it was in, but there is also a "more deadly" option for stress. You essentially fill in all lower boxes on a hit. So if you take a 2 stress hit, you fill in boxes 1 and 2.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Looks like Evil Hat is doing the Patreon thing now for a series of adventures.

I kept reading that as patron and couldn't figure out what evil hat had to do with tequila.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Couple of quick questions. How well would atomic robo handle something like rifts. It seems like the robo/scientist power level dynamic would be great for the way parties can have characters of wildly varying power levels. And if the weird modes /super stunts can handle exalted then magic/psionics/power armor can probably work.

Anyone tried it?

Also is there a guide to stunt building somewhere. Seems like everyone agrees that +2 bonuses are pretty boring, but there isn't a good guide on creating better ones.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the need for weird skills when you have weird modes. The example in the book is a hallucination skill that allows them to attack. Would it not also work to build a psychic mode that had combat in it to represent the same thing?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

The hallucination skill would go inside the Psychic Mode. It's mainly there to act as narrative clarification, ie: the combat skill is physical combat, and you can use it to Create Advantage/Overcome things involving knowledge of phyiscal combat and/or tactics; the hallucination skill is a form of mental combat, and involves causing psychological damage or tricking the victim into physically harming themselves, and may contribute to overcomes involving familiarity with hallucinations and/or recognizing them, or Create Advantage involving the ability to make others perceive things that aren't there.

I see. I thought the modes were used to flavor the ways the skills were used. That action combat would be different then psychic combat.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

My understanding is that it's the inverse of that. The skills contained in a mode determine the nature of the mode, or rather the nature of the mode restricts which skills should be present inside. The skills in a mode are there because they are things that the mode "should" have. So, as a mode, Psychic might include Hallucination, Empathy, Deceive, and Will. Along with the aspect 3-time Blue Ribbon Winner of Vincent Price's Psychic Spelling Bee for Weird Kids, it gives you permission for Mega-Stunts that allow for psychic-type activities from the Empathy and Deceive skills, as well.

That makes sense. You only have one combat skill on your character sheet.

Edit: and it stopped making sense. What happens if you have the same skill across multiple modes, say deceive in Psychic as well as intrigue? Does the context of the role determine how its used? So if I'm trying to gently caress with someones head I would use deceive as a psychic skill vs trying to verbally lie as an intrigue skill?

Is there a fate irc channel anywhere?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Did anyone ever find/write a guide on how to make good stunts that are more interesting then a +2 bonus.

I'm pretty new to fate and really struggle with stunt creation.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

oriongates posted:

The thing about good Stunts is that they're really context-dependent, namely related to the setting or themes of the game you're playing. That's why the "generic" stunts from FATE come off as so bland and mostly stick with flat bonuses. A cool stunt for a high-action superhero setting could be very different from stunts for a dark conspiracy-horror game.

That makes sense. Are there any games that have great stunts to get a feel for what I should be aiming for?

Edit: more specifically, how are the stunts in atomic robo? I recently picked it up but haven't really given it a good read yet.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 24, 2015

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a good guide to writing up interesting stunts anywhere? There is always lots of talk in here about doing more than just the standard +2 in x case, but never a good description on how to build a decent stunt that is both interesting and balanced.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think so? I mean, there's more stunts can do than the +2 that everyone just kind of defaults to (substitute skill A for skill B, use an action with a skill that normally doesn't get it, flat-out rules exception), but there's never been anything more in-depth than what's in the Fate Core book.

That said, a guide like that would probably be pretty useful.

You're Dungeon World guide was what made me get DW, so I nominate you. :v:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I did another Guide for Fate (and I'll be honest, I have thought about it a bunch of times, as well as doing a more generic version of the Guide when AW2 comes out), it'd have to be a collaboration. I mean, I'd love to do something like this but I have no idea where to start.

Well, I know jack poo poo about FATE, lack writing or design skills. But I can promise to buy the hell out of it....

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Loki_XLII posted:

I've had some ideas for a single action fate that would make things more free-form and reactive for the gm, Apocalypse World style. I'll see if I can't dig up my notes for it.

Combining the combat style of AW with FATE would be like mixing PB and Chocolate to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Did anyone pick up majestic 12? How was it?

E: Any has anyone made any progress grafting a AW style flowing combat in?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 3, 2017