Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm a little surprised you got pointed to FATE and not Apocalypse World, but I won't lie, I've wanted a FATE/Fallout system for a while now. I think what you'll find is that SPECIAL, as a whole, should translate over fairly well. You won't have the actual stats it's named for though, as FATE is a skills only system. So, you know, make them skills instead :geno:. Stunts are Perks, Stunts and Aspects are Traits. Players can be Super Mutants, Ghouls, or more quite easily. You can incorporate factions into characters' backgrounds and give that mechanical weight.

Gear is kinda barebones in FATE. The new Toolkit is supposed to have options for expanding that though.

OmegaGoo posted:

The last two major undertakings were anime, yes. However, basically anything can be run as FATE, and everything has been. Just keep an eye out, and you'll probably find something that sparks your interest.

Last five by my count. Anime robots, anime Shadowruns, anime Cthulhus, Personae, and TWEWY.

Of course, I'm not at all against the idea of anime Fallout, because this subforum does that to you. GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Scrape posted:

Yeah, this is what we did instinctively. We made a custom skill list for the campaign, too, and rolled Rapport and Empathy together into one skill because it seemed right for the situation.

It depends, really. In the AD&D2ed version (which rules hard), there are some fun things like Half-Giants having to change their alignment every day and Dwarves having a Focus that changes every so often. I wanna keep those; they're neat. On the other hand, you're right in that there are city elves and desert nomad elves and all shades in-between. Being an elf doesn't necessarily mean as much as being a Half-Giant. That instantly says something about the PC, right there.

In any case, I think you might be right and I should roll Race+Class into one High Concept, like Crafty Half-Elf Minstrel or Savage Mul Gladiator. I worry that there'd be little mechanical benefit to choosing a human or elf over something like the Mul: if you're a Mul, it's a given that you are extra strong and you barely need to sleep. But a human... what does that say about you? Maybe humans and elves get an Extra based on their cultural upbringing, like Citizen of Balic or Nomad Clan Member or whatever. So, like, in the Human entry there's a couple options to choose from; Stunts or other abilities, and some are pure fictional bonuses like Friend of a Templar or something. That'd work, right?

Yeah, it sounds like what you're looking for is something like the templates in Dresden Files. Essentially, you add some amount of Stunts together to represent a particularly advantage granted by being a Vampire or Wizard or whatever. Like, a full Wizard is pretty ball-bustingly powerful, but he or she spends 7 Refresh to get there. Meanwhile, a normal human who is especially non-magical gets +2 Refresh. So all things being equal, the Mul has a Toughness Stunt, but the Human and Elf get more FPs to toss around.

Another, non-DFRPG Extra I've seen is letting a race have a custom skill. So while anybody could pick up Resources or Crafts, Dwarfs could have a skill called Minecraft that lets them specialize in digging for mythril and making mythril armor. You could obviously do the same for members of a particular Miner's Guild, regardless of race.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 9, 2013