Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most conspiracy theorists don't even have a coherent idea as much as they assume. They just know the official story is wrong and will look for anything to prove that fact.

If the brand of conspiracy they don't believe in turns out to be bogus, they'll look for another. They'll even believe contradictory theories. Just anything that goes against "the official story".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anyone have any good sources to share about birther-ism? I think it pretty much also qualifies as a conspiracy theory considering the massive amount of mental gymnastics one has to go through to convince oneself that they're after Obama's birth records because there's legit shadowy stuff about that guy and nope, it's not about anything else, honest.

This is probably straying off the topic a bit but to answer shortly is he has shown his birth certificate, multiple times and in multiple forms. Anyone who still doesn't buy it is looking for an excuse and will never be happy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Questioning is fine. Questioning is good, even.

What isn't good is continuing to believe demonstrably false theories just because you desperately want to believe the truth is a lie.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

One thing that people always seem to miss about the birthers, is that it's not just racist, it's also sexist. No matter where Obama was born, his mother was a US citizen, therefore he is a US citizen. But birthers always focus on his father's nationality because, in their twisted view, it's the man who determines nationality and the woman is simply irrelevant.

But given the shitstorm of bigotry that is the birther movement, it's easy to miss that one extra lumpy turd.

Eh I think this is reaching. I realize people can be blind to their own -isms but if their roles were switched (Obama's mother being the foreigner and his father being the citizen) I don't think they would feel any less strongly about it. I feel like that only works if the parents roles only work one way.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 23, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm not labeling all skeptics with that brush, just like it wouldn't be fair to name all of a political or religious group with one brush, but any subset of people who share a common belief that they're passionate about are bound to form some sort of community around it. And to be fair there's a lot of legitimate causes for atheists/skeptics to fight for, mostly the same sort of discrimination non-Christians face in the US (although how much will vary from region to region and field to field).

And like all communities some of those people do and say very dumb things.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The problem is the CIA does a lot of monstrous stuff. I don't think any one in this thread will deny that, whether they are a truther or not.

However, going "well it seems like something they could do" does not in fact, bolster your argument. It makes it look like you're chasing shadows and using an agenda to just blame anything you can on them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

I love that particular line of bull because it's so frigin easy to disprove. If you take 30 seconds to google you can see pictures of them finding the more "solid" parts like engines and landing gear of the plane in the wreckage.

I mean it's all pretty easy to disprove but this in particular just comes from sheer laziness on the truthers' part.

When thousands of photographs are taken of something, its pretty easy to find a handful that fit what you want.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

As I recall, the images that were released of the plane striking the Pentagon came from a gas station across the street which was far enough away to capture a couple hundred feet of vertical dimension. Which, of course, failed to satisfy the missile/hologram contingent.

Well it's been too long, obviously they doctored it by this point :rolleyes:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

truther posted:

Therefore nothing. All I asked was why haven't we seen the photos the FBI used to identify the bombers?
Especially seeing as we have photos of near-everything-else that went on that day, including the gore. Why the photos are withheld doesn't make sense to me.

It's a perfectly harmless question.

You realize "Just asking questions" is never that, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

If nothing else we have them in the crowd with bulky backpacks and them leaving without said backpacks. Combined with everything else that happened and we know I'm willing to bet they got the right guys.

Besides what is the purpose of the government faking those attacks? To help the red sox won the world series?

Patriots too :unsmigghh:

Seriously though a lot of conspiracy nutjobs say it was a "test run" for martial law, and since Watertown so eagerly accepted the jackbooted police rolling in on tanks and SWAT gear with assault rifles, it means the American people are becoming too complacent.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 27, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The governments editing the footage to make them look ridiculous, obviously.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah liberal media is less about "Reptilian Zionist Masons are trying to pull the strings of world governments" and more of a generic Conservative view point of "anyone who isn't a total neo-con is in bed with Joseph Stalin, known Liberal"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

A virus that kills people? :monocle: Why that's just too insane to believe.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Grouchy Smurf posted:

This is what actually makes me mad. Why the gently caress does a Neo-Nazi says "holocaust never happened"? I mean, they already state that non-aryans should be removed from the genre pool. If it was me, I would be saying "Holocaust happened, and we have to repeat it".

It's an attempt to give people more reason to distrust the Jews. "They're pulling the wool over your eyes! It's all a zionist plot! That's how deep they'll go!"

It's a lot harder to garner sympathy when youre saying "Yeah we killed em, and I'd kill em again!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Because it's been contained and what would they have to gain by hiding it? I'm not saying there isn't a potential problem but this particular issue affects a specific breed of starfish, and seemingly very little else around it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Larry_Mullet posted:

So running any kind of scientific analysis of the effects of Fukushima radiation on any pacific sea-life is a waste of time, in your opinion? Does being concerned about the health effects of millions of gallons of irradiated water flowing into the ocean for a few years make you a loon?

No? But why is it affecting only california and not an entire ocean between them?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm seriously loving this martyr bullshit you're pulling.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's not even starfish in general, it's a particular species of starfish.

Well to be fair, a few species of starfish, which is unusual for this sort of thing. But to jump to the conclusion that it's caused by radiation on the other side of the goddamn ocean (and somehow leapfrogged over everywhere else) is more than a bit insane.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

My favorite is people who unironically stick to the mantra of "I don't eat it if it had ingredients I can't pronounce". How is that even a philosophy?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

"Whiteness" is pretty flexible, but Stonehenge would be an obvious counter-example. I'm not disagreeing with the overarching thesis. Moderns think that pre-moderns were dumb mud-people and couldn't have built those structures, therefore aliens. But it extends to white people as well. Nazis spent a lot of time dealing with the obvious deficiencies of Northern Europe vs. Southern Europe. It's an old discussion with many arms. Like an octopus. An octopus wrapping itself around all of history with its many arms.

If you know what I mean.

The major reason it seems like they talk about "non white" cultures more is because the line of reasoning is lumping "White" and then "non white" into just 2 groups. If you're only seeing those 2 groups of course you're going to see non whites mentioned more, theres way, way more of them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

What would they gain by killing MLK? If it was to stop the civil rights act (and I'm not denying in the 1960s the government wouldn't want this) they didn't exactly do a stellar job at that, and I figure if the FBI is as powerful as you claim they would know making a martyr out of the guy would have backfired horribly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well Chinese structures don't get as much conspiracy nonsense because records exist. The ancient Chinese were ridiculously meticulous in their recordkeeping and although its gone through some dramatic shifts over time, there's a still a recognizably "Chinese" culture that can explain these things.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You seem to believe all 9/11 truthers are racist rednecks though. How does a leftist (of which many truthers are of that variety) justify that?

There's a lot of factors that draw people to a conspiracy theory, some do it for the reasons you mentioned, others want to be part of a "secret club" where they know the truth above others.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Zachack posted:

Er, I think if they saw two planes out of place after the WTC had been hit that would actually be quite the story, unless you're talking about everyday NYC having a lot of people running around screaming and poo poo in the air, which may be accurate.

The main reason for people not seeing it, I'd think, is that in a region literally covered in skyscrapers your view is perpetually obstructed in nearly every direction, so unless you happened to be randomly looking in a very limited range of directions during a very, very narrow window of time you'd miss it.

Well, also BEFORE 9/11 you generally were not looking at the skies in fear every waking minute. There was only a few seconds before it hit the tower so in those scant few seconds you had to be looking up, in that narrow time window, in a place that you could actually see it, all by coincidence.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I don't think anyone is denying the warren commision was rather hastily thrown together (and if it hadn't been we wouldn't still be arguing about it) it's just that the final point remains the same despite that: Oswald shot Kennedy alone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If Ruby had been given some kind of pass like "mysteriously" found not guilty and got to disappear to Bermuda I might be a little more suspicious. But he spent 2 years in jail before he finally got a retrial (and the Cancer killed him before they could). He had 2 years to spill his guts, what could they possibly have been promising him to keep his mouth shut? Or threatening him with? If he blew the lid off the entire conspiracy of who killed JFK he would probably get a medal.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Morphix posted:

An assassinated President's death is so poorly investigated that proper ballistic tests can be thrown out the window because gently caress it.

And that's the conspiracy ender?

So hold up. Whoever did this (CIA, Mafia, Aliens) was clever enough to pull off a totally perfect assassination whilst framing another guy, but couldn't put up a report that wasn't riddled with errors? What did they think people wouldn't fall for it because it was "too good"?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Morphix posted:

Why would they have needed to produce a report that wasn't riddled with errors? When you have people on here still using the same riddled report to base their case on.

And that same crappy report is probably the sole reason there even is a conspiracy in the first place. If they proposed a logical one that was bulletproof (no pun intended) you wouldn't be discussing this.

Morphix posted:

This seems more like a case of let's believe what's spoon fed to us without questioning any of it, because once you start questioning it, you might not be too happy with the power structure of these United States. Gotta keep the myth alive, people aren't ready for the truth, etc etc.

This reeks of the NSA spying scandal. Bunch of people basically willing to take the word of a corrupt government at face value because gently caress history n' poo poo, we're living in the now! Must post snipes on a forum, must be right, MUST BELIEVE EVERYTHING IS OK!

That is not even close to what's happening.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Most educated people I know have other poo poo they need to worry about and/or aren't interested in the slightest about conspiracies except for maybe the "woah, dude" effect of them. Just because you're oh so much smarter than the general public doesn't mean you're immune from manipulation or deception.

You really think the public (educated or otherwise) isn't interested in any attempt to make the government look bad or incompetent?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Most conspiracy theorists are harmless. That's what makes it funny and not scary.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Many assassinations are performed by people with mental illness. Doesn't mean I'm going to be afraid to be in a room with any random someone with a mental illness (Especially as a therapist that would probably make my job difficult). You can't take the most drastic examples as signs of all of them. Most conspiracy nuts are harmless and aren't going to do a thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

:psyduck: It reads like satire.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

By that logic any one here is at risk of going off and gunning down conservatives at any moment because of their belief that they want to keep the poor down (one that I share, mind you).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Armani posted:

I have a conspiracy theorist in my life who straight up admitted he would pillage and kill anyone he had to survive if revolution comes to America.

This was in response to us wondering if we should grow citrus trees on our lawn so our neighbors could have free fruit if they wanted.

Yeah that's pretty standard tough guy chat for conservatives though. He wouldn't do a thing and would probably cower in his home.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's like the GOP getting rid of voter protection because black people can vote now. This prevents bad things happening so well they don't happen before, so lets get rid of it.

Or even better, unions.

"Sure they were great during the time of Rockefeller but now? They're just corrupt. The laws will protect the worker."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

My favorite is when you bother to check the snopes article on anything that says verified by snopes, it probably says the exact opposite.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

duck monster posted:

The irony though is , these theories also serve as a (very poor) attempt at resolving contradiction as well. At least in the marxist/structuralist sense, but often in the more literal sense of contradiction. Unfortunately by creating more questions than they answer, it just opens doors for more and more and more conspiracy theories until peoples thinking seem to be completely colored by them. At a certain point, once you believe anything, you'll start to believe everything.

There was actually a study on that, I'll see if I can find it, but people will often believe totally contradicting theories. In a study where they asked various different questions about the circumstances of Princess Diana's death, they would agree with mutually incompatible beliefs. The same person might simultaneously agree that MI-6 was in on it, terrorists were in on it, and that she intentionally faked her death and is still alive. Essentially after a time you believe just that SOMETHING must be wrong so you'll believe ANYTHING that backs up that assertion.

http://www.livescience.com/18171-contradicting-conspiracy-theories-mistrust.html
There's an article on it but I know I had the original paper.

Edit: Original paper: http://www.academia.edu/1207098/Dead_and_alive_Beliefs_in_contradictory_conspiracy_theories

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 8, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Star Man posted:

Something I've heard said on a skepticism podcast (I believe it was SGU) by Derek of Jenny McCarthy Body Count is that the anti-vax movement is in a way a eugenics movement. Not one that's consciously trying to eradicate a group of people, but in a way of believing that because they, their children, or ancestors survived a preventable disease by fighting it off or never contracting it, they are stronger than those that died of those diseases.

Though calling anti-vaxers a eugenics movement might be pretty extreme way of putting it.

Yeah I don't think it's eugenics. It's more underestimating how badly nature can murder (or cripple) the poo poo out of you if she wants to, and an overestimation of the side effects of taking the vaccine. Most anti-vaxers have never seen stuff like Polio in person so they don't know the gravity of getting it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think the point is that people who are "in" on the conspiracy would be able to decode the hidden messages and act accordingly. You'd think those symbols would be more hidden so some schmuck couldn't pick up on them but hey I'm not in the illuminati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Republican Vampire posted:

The standard explanation these days seems to be Predictive Programming, which is based on the proposition that THE ILLUMINATI are seeding the discourse and pop culture and history with their symbols and slogans in order to prime us to accept their commands/atrocities/etc. It's supposed to be subliminal messaging that's designed to make us accept the unacceptable. That justification's only really become prominent recently though, while people have freaked out over images and symbols for ages.

Also some groups, including the Masons, do genuinely like putting their symbols on things to show that they were involved. The Freemasons splashed their symbol and lodge names on the capstone at Denver International not because they're an evil conspiracy, but because they were involved in laying the Time Capsule and so on.

I'm sure, but subliminal messaging has been proven to be at best ineffective (Course maybe they published those studies to make us think that :tinfoil: )

• Locked thread