Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My theory is that the government pulls so much bullshit all of the time that ends up being real (PRISM), they put themselves in a position to "buy anything" that fits with that behavior, regardless if it makes one loving bit of sense.

The one thing I don't get is of all the truther bullshit that makes no Goddamn sense, rarely do you see them suggest the US Government simply turned a blind eye to terrorists they were aware of. Now obviously this didn't happen - what did happen was far more of an arrogant security gently caress-up in a lot of ways - but you could make a far more logical case for that than hilarious poo poo like "They planted bombs on all the floors of the building" and such.

It's like they go out of their way to make their theories really stupid on top of thinking the event itself was a conspiracy. That's the part that gets me.

For example, is it easier to believe:

- The US Government infiltrated the plane/used remote piloting to bomb the towers before destroying the evidence, while all the passengers are fake and do not exist? (An actual theory I've seen posted several times); this is often doubled up with the explosives story and other crazy bullshit

- The CIA and Osama Bin Laden, who's body as never shown to the public, orchestrated the event together in order to influence world events by using real terrorists. You could even go as far as to accuse Bin Laden as being a deep cover agent. How is anyone going to argue this with fact, when it's not based in any fact - rather than just refuting in your face facts?

See, in scenario B.. there's literally no way to disprove it (even if it is again, bullshit) while scenario A is provable in a flat out objective sense, just reviewing the evidence. So again, what perplexes me is why the truthers will go with something totally batshit like scenario A over something that's far, far harder to disprove (because it's a wild accusation, pretty much)?

Oh well, I'll personally never understand why people have to make up conspiracy theories when so much terrible insane poo poo happens right out in the open.

DISCLAIMER: Again I don't believe in either of these things, I'm just saying if I was making up a conspiracy theory, I think I'd make up something that couldn't be disproved with fifteen minutes of research blatantly.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomemories posted:

What you can't figure out is we see the world as it is

The thing I will never understand about the general conspiracy crowd is there's so much horrible, hosed up, lovely, illegal, immoral bullshit happening right in the open indisputably, why even bother, really? There's a lot of heinous, heinous poo poo that's well documented and nobody's even contesting that's half the time worse than the actual conspiracies.

Not to say it's not OK to doubt the government or believe everything they say, but it's quite another to state said theories as some sort of fact. A real good example is when Cheyney was going around pushing for the Iraq war with "proof" of chemical weapons as the very main selling point (that's been muddied over time), while it is now absolutely known the information was discredited entirely months before anyone was shown it, and he drat well knew that. Again, that whole cluster gently caress has been pretty much documented at this point, it's just that this point never, ever gets driven home in any kind of forum, so nothing ever comes of it. Or how about how 9/11 which pretty clearly happened as described being used as a free pass to push the effort in the first place, despite being entirely unrelated?

I mean right there you've got an example of a lying that resulted in the death of many times over the victims of the WTC if you count the Iraqis, many of which were civilians. Isn't that evil enough for anyone?

We've been mixed up in that whole thing for so long, with so many failed goals, that people forget how something that cost thousands of lives and drained the hell out of America's resources that nobody is ever held accountable, even in a real public forum. But instead of going "hey, look at all this reliable information proving America has done some horrible hosed up things, shouldn't the people responsible see justice?" we've got tons of people pretending it was an inside job. I really think the fact I just mentioned, how they used it as an excuse/free pass to get away with loving anything for several years, probably seals it for some people who seem unwilling to consider that they're just opportunists turning a tragedy into ammunition for their personal crusade, which happens all the time everywhere.

ED: The fact that the guy who pushed the war hooked all his associates up with multi-million/billion dollar contracts to fight it is pretty hosed up too. I kind of wish more people wanted to talk about the horrible things we've gotten away with that have some actual proof to them instead of plugging your ears and insisting the WTCs were rigged with explosives because that somehow makes it easier to accept no matter how utterly ludicrous that sounds.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 11, 2015

• Locked thread