Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
I used to live with some conspiracy theorists. They were loving nuts. A lot of their issues stemmed from things that happened to them, just general heart break, that they had trouble processing.

One of them, I forgot his name, he told me his mom died of lung cancer. I (stupidly) asked if she was a smoker like him and he said "Yeah, but she was also given vaccines and [untintelligible]." He later tried to show me the True Cure for cancer and why there's such a great conspiracy to hold back the truth.

It was hard to accept that his mom died and the doctors couldn't do enough, so he actively searched for ways to explain why the doctors were wrong. He'd built it up so much that he figured the doctors actually were indifferent to his mom's case. There might've been something else beyond that about feeling inadequate as a son.

There's something powerful, attractive, and redeeming in feeling smarter than everyone else.

-----

Someone mentioned paranoia. yeah. Paranoia is completely irrational. It's based on anxiety and fear. You can't even say "what's the worst that happens" to these people because they can't rationalize the fear, it's too overwhelming.

There's also Just World Fallacy, which was a famous explanation for Holocaust deniers. "Surely a government as smart and clever and underhandedly tactical as ours would have been able to stop 19 guys from hijacking four airplanes and murdering civilians. No, there is something far greater afoot." There's part of that in 9/11 truthers, but it's not the complete picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread