Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I encountered this graphic recently:

Is this a thing? It seems like the image is trying to suggest that a beam fell on a building nearby therefore conspiracy?

And the person who posted that image just keeps linking to this site over and over whenever I ask anything about it: http://www.ae911truth.org/

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I can't believe how many people on my Facebook are falling for this plastic snow poo poo. It's absolutely unbelievable. I've never even lived in a region where it snows (have only been around it on vacation) and even I didn't fall for this crap

Like you'd have to just be incredibly gullible or have never been around snow before

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guys! Guys! Finally we have incontrovertible proof that unvaccinated children are healthier than vaccinated children: "Studies Prove Without Doubt That Unvaccinated Children Are Far Healthier"

Oh, how was the data collected, you ask? Well, they cite a page that talks about the paper directly: New Study: Vaccinated Children Have 2 to 5 Times More Diseases and Disorders Than Unvaccinated Children

quote:

The data was collected from parents with vaccine-free children via an internet questionnaire by vaccineinjury.info and Andreas Bachmair, a German classical homeopathic practitioner.

:cripes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So awhile ago I posted about a guy I know on Facebook and in my local community who believes all sorts of crazy poo poo, like he's a 9/11 Truther, anti-vaxxer, global warming denialist, baking soda cures cancer but is kept down by big pharma, cannabis oil cures cancer, etc. His primary fallback for evidence is to just post a shitload of anecdotes and links to extremely shady websites. If you can find a few different people on Youtube talking about it, then he's into it.

I want to convince him of something truly, utterly crazy. Like the US Navy keeping mermaids or whatever sounds pretty loving bizarre. What's the most insane conspiracy thing that you can think of that is also "plausibly" supported if you believe that anecdotal testimony is the highest form of proof?

Just to give you a baseline of how crazy this guy is, he bought a magic wand on the Internet and claims that it cured his kid's cold

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hedera Helix posted:

This is playing with fire, and it's never a good idea to turn people crazy (crazier?) for your own amusement. You could get him, or the people around him, hurt. :ohdear:

I'm hoping that it will have the reverse effect. Find something absolutely ludicrous, show him the minimum burden of proof that he has required for things like magic internet wands, and then say "look at what a low burden of proof might lead someone to believe"

Like if there are some people who believe that the world is actually controlled by vampiric furries who poo poo ice cream, and there are some videos of people who are all "I totally saw one, look at this photo of a raccoon, this is one of them he just shapeshifted right before I took the photo", or something?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't cure crazy by throwing an insane person in the shallow end and say LOOK SEE HOW EASY IT IS TO NOT GET WET?!

Failing that, let him know that Alex Jones actually works with the Illuminati and his whole purpose is to distract from the Real Plan they have, while selling products that they've specially treated.

You apparently don't cure crazy with facts and evidence, either, so how the gently caress do you cure crazy?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lightning Jim posted:

Got linked to this on Facebook (thankfully by someone who also thinks this is crazy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtNsfHGgU0

I simply cannot understand the mindset that the moon is fake. Is this an example of Capgras delusion?

We've done it. We've found the craziest thing

e: "That would be the so-called Earth" Holy poo poo, does he think that the Earth is a hologram too?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

razorrozar posted:

I actually think it's likely that if interstellar flight is achievable, extraterrestrials have visited our solar system at some point. However, humanity has existed for ~10,000 years out of ~4.5 billion, so it's exceedingly unlikely they visited us.

How likely? I mean, if you like the theory that life was seeded here by an interstellar asteroid then yeah, extraterrestrials have come to our solar system. But you're probably referring to intelligent extraterrestrials visiting Earth during a time in which it wasn't just a molten rock, which requires many additional assumptions. Then you're also assuming that they have the will to send a vessel to another star system on a journey that will take millions of years at minimum and that the individuals that were sent managed to survive this journey, OR that they have discovered a method for traveling faster than the speed of light. And then you're assuming that they came to our star system specifically, when there are hundreds of billions of stars in this galaxy alone.

Those are many assumptions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

So it is completely plausible that any planets in our local neighborhood capable of supporting life are probably covered with lichens, or whatever the local alien equivalent is. Similarly, it's plausible that any alien intelligence that noticed Earth billions of years ago just saw Earth as a mold planet. I doubt the aliens camped out around us for billions to see if we evolved. (Stardate 31543.34 The poop throwers figured out the internet. Still throwing poop.)

This also raises the point that we can't even really interact with most of the universe, which is just dark matter and dark energy. There could be tons of intelligent life that we have no way of ever meeting

thrakkorzog posted:

So it is completely plausible that any planets in our local neighborhood capable of supporting life are probably covered with lichens, or whatever the local alien equivalent is. Similarly, it's plausible that any alien intelligence that noticed Earth billions of years ago just saw Earth as a mold planet. I doubt the aliens camped out around us for billions to see if we evolved. (Stardate 31543.34 The poop throwers figured out the internet. Still throwing poop.)

We don't actually have any idea of how life began on Earth. You can't give a likelihood on events that we know absolutely nothing about. It's plausible, but we have no idea how likely it is that life exists anywhere in our "neighborhood" no matter how you happen to define that term

Any speculation on whether or not life has visited our solar system is just that: speculation

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 23, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Eh, that's not really what those things are about. Dark matter is almost certainly composed of what's termed a 'WIMP,' or "weakly interacting massive particle." Like a neutrino, but heavy. Dark energy is the energy content of empty space, possibly corresponding to the quantum-mechanical "zero" state for space itself. In either case, there isn't going to be any lifeforms that are composed of them, any more than you could have organisms made out of photons or of gravity.

That is most definitely what those things are about. We have absolutely no idea what dark energy is, it's just a description for the energy that results in the expansion of the universe. None of the physics phenomena that we have observed explains dark energy. Dark energy could be the result of other natural forces that simply don't interact with the 4 natural forces with which we're familiar. These forces could give rise to types of matter that we can't even interact with. There could be a "dark electromagnetism" that simply doesn't interact with our natural forces at all, and it could be one of many forces that contribute to dark energy.

Likewise, we have no idea what dark matter is. WIMPs have never been observed, so at this point there could be an entire hierarchy of massive weakly-interacting particles that is similar to our standard model. Dark matter could be composed of its own boson-like and fermion-like particles, giving rise to dark mesons, dark atoms, etc. All that we know for sure is that there is way more dark matter than matter and that dark matter interacts with us via gravity.

Strudel Man posted:

In either case, there isn't going to be any lifeforms that are composed of them, any more than you could have organisms made out of photons or of gravity.

Dark matter is not merely a field, it is matter. I'm arguing that organisms are made out of matter.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

I'm afraid not. Dark energy, to the best of our understanding, is constant across space; it has no structure, no organization. It's an interesting problem in considering the universe as a whole, but by its very nature, dark energy is never locally interesting - it's flat.

Uniform dark energy is one idea. Non-uniform dark energy density could work just as well as an explanation for the expansion of the universe, and this has not been ruled out like you've claimed.

quote:

This, at least, is theoretically plausible - however, it's pretty much the opposite of a parsimonious hypothesis. One unobserved, non-interacting particle type is a much, much simpler explanation for dark matter than the entire menagerie of particles that would be required for such a Dark Universe, interacting only with each other and not with any of the particles that make up the baryonic universe we know and love.

Given all that we know about the universe, it seems unlikely that a single particle is responsible for 27% of the mass of the universe. It would not be surprising if the first WIMP that we discover comes in 3 flavors, for instance.

Occam's razor is not a well-respected argument in physics. The universe is a complex place, and every time that we try to answer a question in a simple way we find that we just wind up with even more questions. Stupid reality always likes to create scenarios that break our beautiful theorems, things like neutrinos having mass and the matter-antimatter asymmetry. It sure would be simple if the universe was just Newtonian and we didn't have to worry about challenges to our basic understanding of everything, although I wouldn't want to live in that boring place.

quote:

These ideas work well as a background for a science fiction setting, but considered as actual science, they are not particularly credible.

Do you have some experience studying dark matter or dark energy, beyond the casual sense? I wrote a chapter on dark matter in my PhD thesis, which I wrote while I was working at the LHC. Trust me when I say that I know a few things about dark matter and that I'm not the only one who hypothesizes that there could be a dark matter particle hierarchy. If we're colleagues on this matter, and you're not just some guy on the Internet working off of wikipedia, would you mind toning down the condescension? I'm presenting valid ideas and you're brushing them off as though physicists aren't interested in them, but that's simply not the case. The idea that dark matter could be composed of a hierarchy of particles is not new, nor is it discredited. The idea that dark matter has its own Standard Model is definitely going into science fiction territory (simply because we know so little about dark matter), but nothing about the idea lacks credibility.

e: (do you really believe that Rome had robots?)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 28, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did the reptilian illuminati stuff come before or after the release of the Super Mario Bros movie?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's because the fluoride people likely are anti-vaxxers. There's a lot of overlap between those and all of the other conspiracy theories. Most conspiracy theorists are just predisposed to believing this stuff

Why People Believe Conspiracy Theories

Michael Shermer at Scientific American posted:

On Wednesday, May 16, I spent several hours on a hot bus in a neon desert called Las Vegas with a merry band of British conspiracists during their journey around the Southwest in search of UFOs, aliens, Area 51 and government cover-ups, all for a BBC documentary. One woman regaled me with a tale about orange balls of energy hovering around her car on Interstate 405 in California, which were subsequently chased away by black ops helicopters. A man challenged me to explain the source of a green laser beam that followed him around the English countryside one evening.

Conspiracies are a perennial favorite for television producers because there is always a receptive audience. A recent Canadian Broadcasting Corporation documentary that I participated in called Conspiracy Rising, for example, featured theories behind the deaths of JFK and Princess Diana, UFOs, Area 51 and 9/11, as if there were a common thread running throughout. According to radio host and conspiracy monger Alex Jones, also appearing in the film, “The military-industrial complex killed John F. Kennedy” and “I can prove that there's a private banking cartel setting up a world government because they admit they are” and “No matter how you look at 9/11 there was no Islamic terrorist connection—the hijackers were clearly U.S. government assets who were set up as patsies like Lee Harvey Oswald.”

Such examples, along with others in my years on the conspiracy beat, are emblematic of a trend I have detected that people who believe in one such theory tend to believe in many other equally improbable and often contradictory cabals. This observation has recently been confirmed empirically by University of Kent psychologists Michael J. Wood, Karen M. Douglas and Robbie M. Sutton in a paper entitled “Dead and Alive: Beliefs in Contradictory Conspiracy Theories,” published in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science this past January. The authors begin by defining a conspiracy theory as “a proposed plot by powerful people or organizations working together in secret to accomplish some (usually sinister) goal” that is “notoriously resistant to falsification … with new layers of conspiracy being added to rationalize each new piece of disconfirming evidence.” Once you believe that “one massive, sinister conspiracy could be successfully executed in near-perfect secrecy, [it] suggests that many such plots are possible.” With this cabalistic paradigm in place, conspiracies can become “the default explanation for any given event—a unitary, closed-off worldview in which beliefs come together in a mutually supportive network known as a monological belief system.”

This monological belief system explains the significant correlations between different conspiracy theories in the study. For example, “a belief that a rogue cell of MI6 was responsible for [Princess] Diana's death was correlated with belief in theories that HIV was created in a laboratory … that the moon landing was a hoax … and that governments are covering up the existence of aliens.” The effect continues even when the conspiracies contradict one another: the more participants believed that Diana faked her own death, the more they believed that she was murdered.

The authors suggest there is a higher-order process at work that they call global coherence that overrules local contradictions: “Someone who believes in a significant number of conspiracy theories would naturally begin to see authorities as fundamentally deceptive, and new conspiracy theories would seem more plausible in light of that belief.” Moreover, “conspiracy advocates' distrust of official narratives may be so strong that many alternative theories are simultaneously endorsed in spite of any contradictions between them.” Thus, they assert, “the more that participants believe that a person at the centre of a death-related conspiracy theory, such as Princess Diana or Osama [bin] Laden, is still alive, the more they also tend to believe that the same person was killed, so long as the alleged manner of death involves deception by officialdom.

As Alex Jones proclaimed in Conspiracy Rising: “No one is safe, do you understand that? Pure evil is running wild everywhere at the highest levels.”

On his Infowars.com Web site, Jones headlines his page with “Because There Is a War on for Your Mind.” True enough, which is why science and reason must always prevail over fear and irrationality, and conspiracy mongering traffics in the latter at the expense of the former.

Conspiracy theorists most often believe in the same things as other conspiracy theorists, and they'll even believe in contradictory theories.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Obdicut posted:

How is it a clever way to pretend not to be racist when the only reason to believe in birtherism is racism?

It's dog whistle racism. Everyone knows that it's based in racism, even the birthers, but actually call them out on it and you can expect an earful about how you're the true racist

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Advertise that freedom fighters use them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait, I thought Mad Max was a documentary about the roving rape gangs of the Australian outback. It's fictional?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

People (who tend to be Android users) really buy into "apple forces you to buy the new iphone by ruining your old one with the iOS updates!" CT.

There's a tiny amount of truth to that, in that the new OS is designed to work with the new phone, which is more powerful, so it may not run smoothly on a older model.

The real truth there is that Apple ruins the iphone by installing iOS at all :rimshot:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hasters posted:

You mean a four year old device got slower with a new OS? It's like it's processing power is somehow less than the iPad Air? How dare Apple give you new features for free!

New features that cripple your device are not welcome features. If Microsoft distributed a software update that made motherboards produced before 2013 essentially unusable, people would be pissed. But when Apple does something equivalent, that's okay, and I'm in the wrong for expecting Apple to not break my device?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Guys Mathematica runs slowly on my 486, this is a fuckin' conspiracy :mad:

An apt comparison, if Mathematica were an operating system, and if Wolfram pushed mandatory hardware-obsoleting software updates

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SedanChair posted:

My 3G ran fine forever, you must have hosed yours up on purpose.

Yup, whenever I install an OS software update I expect it to make my hardware unusable with no way to revert and no recourse. This is reasonable. There are definitely not going to be users who expect their hardware to work as well as it did before the update, that would be crazy.

Apple is the light

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fanboys are loving terrible no matter where you find them, no surprise there. I can't believe that people would make up conspiracy theory garbage about loving phones of all things

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

That's an improvement from when I ditched my android phone 1.5 years ago then because there were approximately A Lot of new phones every year and the odds of them all getting the next update were slim to none. Good on you google phones I guess.

Fishmech is only mostly right on this one (a rare example of fishmech not being 100% right)

A lot of phone vendors spin off their own operating systems that are based on Android, but you're entirely dependent on that vendor when it comes to updates (and if you want to keep the stock OS installed). Most vendors are really good about keeping the software up to date, so most of the phones that you thought had "slim to none" odds of receiving updates probably received updates. Some aren't that good and will let poo poo fall behind. And in general, really old phones will stop receiving updates at some point so as to remain usable (unlike Apple phones, which receive all of the updates but eventually become unusable as a result).

If you're worried about having the latest software, then you can always install a custom ROM and then decide for yourself when to update, and to what degree. Usually the latest Android features are available in alpha and beta builds long before an official release is announced, and the developers of custom ROMs add these features to their own stable builds. The best part is that it takes about 30 minutes to root a device and get a custom ROM installed on the first try, and installing a new ROM is about a 2 minute process from then on

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

What did Bush do that you wouldn't if you were President?

needlessly aggravate a bunch of countries (the Axis of Evil)

sign the Patriot Act

become a teetotaler (pre-presidency, but still)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

have the physical embodiment of evil as a VP

Okay maybe I'd still do that if the price was right

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

So are there any good Bush conspiracy theories left now that he's been forgotten for so long?

I know the truthers are still kind of out there, but they've worked Obama into the narrative pretty thoroughly.

How does one blame Obama for 9/11?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emfive posted:

I might be missing a couple layers of meta here, but my understanding is that the deal with environmental lead from leaded gasoline isn't totally crazy-talk. It's clearly true that there was a shitload of leaded gas burned in the mid-20th century.

I'm happy to be disabused of the notion, but for example there's this and while that author is hesitant to agree with the theory, he's not saying it's :tinfoil:.

We know that ingesting/inhaling/drinking small mounts of lead can gently caress with you, mentally and physically. It'd be totally reasonable for a person to expect autism to be caused by burning leaded gasoline, if they weren't aware of any other potential causes.

But then we also burn a lot of other poo poo that can gently caress with you, such as coal. And we burn a lot more coal now than we did in the 20s, 40s, etc. Plus there are countless other factors that could have an impact on autism rates, other than just "are we burning some bad stuff?"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Star Man posted:

That makes way more sense than Roe v. Wade being the factor in lower crime rates. God I hate Freakanomics.

Surprise surprise, economists are loving retarded

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

This sounds like a pretty typical new age wackery to me rather than anything truly insane.

That's contradictory

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've noticed a trend of crazy conspiracy-believing people claiming that their opponents are all paid shills.

Bitcoin is an easy example, if you follow any of the bitcoin threads here then you've seen tons of people from /r/bitcoin subreddit who authentically believe that every single person who criticizes bitcoin is being paid by banks or the government to hate bitcoin.

I've also seen it with anti-vaxxers. I've personally been accused of being paid off by pharmaceutical companies because I don't believe that vaccines contain mind control serum or whatever the gently caress.

Where I live there's a ballot initiative to put a moratorium on growing GMOs, with serious jailtime and huge fines levied on all offenders. What most people around here don't realize is that every papaya tree in the region is a GMO variety, and a lot of people like to grow them as decoration or as part of a garden, so a lot of people are going to be unknowingly hosed if this law passes. There are also public documents showing that this initiative is almost entirely funded by organic farming groups from out of state, but the whole thing poses as a grass roots movement. Local small farmers have even been speaking out in the local newspapers about the bill. But if you even raise a concern about the wording of the initiative then you're a shill paid by Monsanto, according to the anti-GMO group

Have you guys noticed this sort of conspiratorial accusation with other insane groups?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, off the top of my head, both Israel and China pay people to go on message boards/comment fields and talk up the respective country.

Tons of companies do this, too, but the paranoids will accuse every dissenting voice of being a shill. And it doesn't matter whether that kind of accusation even exists. For instance, accusing the thousands of scientists who have endorsed GMOs of "being in Monsanto's pocket", even if it's obvious that they don't work for or speak for Monsanto (such as the video of Neil deGrasse Tyson basically speaking into a cell phone camera)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Miss-Bomarc posted:

In the strictest sense, everything that people eat is a GMO. There are no populations of feral beef cows. The kind of corn you find in a grocery store is not found in nature. GMO has been a thing since humans stopped living in trees.

Yeah but inserting genes between different species is bad because of reasons

To be fair, "we're inserting bacteria genes into this corn so that it will grow its own pesticides" sounds pretty scary to someone who might not realize that Bt Protein is way safer to eat and better for the environment than the pesticides that are normally dumped on crops

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Wow OP wake up, you are truly a sheep.

-Building 11 also fell and it was not hit by airplanes. That's actually where all the gold was, and it mysteriously disappeared. I'd say there's a good chance it's in Mecca.

-The high-jackers were all Saudi, who is a US "ally" which means there is a good chance we knew it was going to happen. The planes were hi-jacked, duh, that's not disputed.

-"Terrorism" is created to replace "communism" as the new boogey-man threat to justify the expanding prison-industrial, surveilance, and military-industrial organizations. Unlike opposing "communism," which meant you stood for freedom and self-determination, opposing "terrorism" means nothing and it is truly an Orwellian type of situation.

-The event is used to launch our HUGE Mid-East campaign. This continues to this day, and was an long-term plan from the start to go into Iraq first and get a foot-hold - a huge number of war crimes were committed in Iraq including the abandonment of key intellectuals to Sunni hordes, the die-hard Sunnis, attemping to purge secularism from the capital before its inevitible fall, slaughtered every key intellectual in Iraq, then Libya - where NATO commits a war crime destroying Libya's civilian water supply (http://www.globalresearch.ca/nato-s-ultimate-war-crime-destroying-libya-s-water-supply/25861), then Syria, which would have happened, but we changed our strategy in Syria to just giving weapons to all sides since they were fighting each other.

-America loses its freedoms one by one and slowly gets absorbed into the global financial order.

-Our politicians and by proxy our military is played like a fiddle by corporate elites, Jews and Muslums to fulfill their agendas. Of course we are not attacking the Saudis or the Israelis, despite them being two of the worst offenders of civil rights in the region. Instead, we attack their enemies. This is a clear indication that we are being fooled. The conservatives who run the federal reserve love Islam and Zionism. Our intervention in Iraq has assured that Islam will remain. Secularism and demanding civil liberties is such a head-ache for the global elites who just want good, little workers who do what they're told.

This is a joke post right? Sometimes it's hard to tell with these 9/11 things, you never know if someone is being facetiously crazy or just crazy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I challenge you to prove to me that Bernake is not a Muslum or a Jew.

He's actually both which is how he's both a banker and an america-hater

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Everyone knows Obama is a Muslim, too. He's being stymied by the secularists, thank God.

He's also totally a racist, he has the opposite of whatever michael jackson had

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

The Muslims are alligned somewhat with the jew just becuase of their mutual extreme conservativism.

and their mutual hatred of AMURRICA

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AddMEonFacebook posted:

I just watched an Alex Jones that said Obama was paying people to discredit truthers on internet forums.

I get paid by Monsanto to discredit 9/11 truthers, does that count?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Scientists once claimed that we'd all have flying cars some day, yet I'm still driving an 86 Honda! Can we really trust them when they say that ebola wasn't created by Obama to wipe out the white man?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JFairfax posted:

By the PNAC's own admission it made a lot of strategic sense as it allowed them to advance their own agenda far more rapidly than if it, or a similar event, hadn't happened.

Do you think that the Bush administration would have been able to invade Afghanistan and Iraq without 9/11?

It would have been a much tougher sell that's for drat sure.

Anyway, it's an interesting historical event. It's the Reichstag fire of our generation.

If they really wanted to use a terrorist attack they could have just set off another car bomb under the WTC and put an "I LOVE SADDAM" bumper sticker on it, or left a bunch of forged documents in the trunk implicating Iraqi terrorists. You don't need an elaborate plan involving 4 simultaneous plane hijackings and the deaths of thousands of people. That makes no sense.

And there's the fact that the administration didn't give two fucks about Afghanistan until 9/11. And there's the fact that Iraq was completely uninvolved in the 9/11 attack. And there's the fact that the attack on Iraq was justified justified with a search for chemical weapons, a matter that had been escalating in Iraq for a decade by the time the 9/11 attacks occurred.

In other words no, the Bush administration really didn't need 9/11 to justify an invasion of Iraq, you're an idiot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JFairfax posted:

Maybe they didn't need it, but they sure as gently caress made the most of it, eventually they admitted there was no link.

Which means that they didn't cause it and didn't know with certainty that it was about to happen.

JFairfax posted:

There's another way to phrase that and that is that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. It is basically saying the same thing in a different way. Simply because you do not have evidence that something does exist does not mean that you have evidence that it doesn't exist.

That's just baseless speculation, and it's a logical fallacy

JFairfax posted:

Well those aren't my words, but rather those of Donald Rumsfeld speaking about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

So you're as intellectually honest as DRums talking about WMDs? You're not making a strong case for yourself here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JFairfax posted:

I wish 'arguments need proof' had been the message of the day when Rumsfeld, Cheney, Blair and the rest were making the case for war with Iraq.

We already agree that their statements were stupid, as did most liberals at the time. You're not going to get anywhere by trying to do the same thing that they did

quote:

Part of the point of that is that Rumsfeld, secretary of defence was willing to lie to America and the world, to initiate wars of aggression at a huge human and financial cost. They talked about creating their own reality at the time.

Do I believe that Cheney, Rumsfeld and Co. ordered 9/11? No. There is no evidence for that.

They sure as hell benefitted from it, they exploited it, utilised it and are at best war criminals.

Given that I think they're murderous war criminals who would lie to, and bankrupt their own people, it's a case of how far would they go. And frankly I wouldn't put anything past that lot. But obviously that isn't evidence.

Yes, obviously baseless speculation is not evidence, therefore the entire idea that people in the Whitehouse knew 9/11 was about to happen and ignored it so that they could invade Iraq despite having many solutions that did not require 9/11 is an idea that is moronic at best.

Your entire fallacious concept relies on the idea that they needed 9/11 to happen. But they didn't. Your assumptions are wrong.

• Locked thread