Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fishmech posted:

Yeah to be clear, it's not bad on its own that they decided they were going to try to start tracking these things on spectrums of possibly related diagnoses. It's just bad because doing so also means the hysterical idiot contingent can hoot and holler about how there's now an epidemic so it must have been caused by whatever random thing they hate. Maybe the way to head the latter part off at the pass would have been to come up with a whole new name for the spectrum they created.

This would not have any impact. Lets say they named the new spectrum "Garbllefargers", you would hear rants from Alex Jones saying "20 years ago Garblefargers did not exist, and now its a pandemic spreading like wildfire through our youth. It all started when the government *insert conspiracy nonsense here*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Goon Danton posted:

How does this help at all? You're just switching out one undefined group of boogeymen for a different, vaguely Jewish undefined group of boogeymen.

I believe the fellow may be experimenting with different outer narrative's to see what the thread will find acceptable in order to provide a framework to explain his inner narrative.

smoke sumthin bitch may I ask you for a detailed explanation of your beliefs about the globalists? Let us say for the sake of argument that I completely agree with the existence of the globalists but am otherwise ignorant of what they do, how they do it, and what their ultimate objectives seem to be. I would be most interested if you could explain the globalists in detail, or at the very least give me a pencil outline of the globalists that explains the three things I mentioned above. (What they do, how they do it, and what their ultimate objective seems to be.)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

El Puerco posted:

Those would be family trash trying to recover brainwave

poo poo, even my crazy person translator can't parse this one. No seriously I gave it the ole college try and I got zippadee-doodah.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
El Puerco a decade ago I was posting in this forum under the name Truckin A man and doing very nearly exactly what you are doing here. Trying to evangelize the forums into conspiracy theories and getting upset/insulting when my efforts were not accepted. (I am also a schizophrenic that was not on meds at the time.) It did not work out well for me at all for a variety of reasons and I rather strongly suspect that if you continue to pursue this course of action then you will not have any more success than I did. I realize how easy it will be for you to dismiss what I say here and I empathize with how much your illness is going to try and yank you off ever deeper into dysfunction, but I will still try anyways.

Meds can help and therapy is extremely taxing but in the long run helps even more than meds. El Puerco I genuinely hope that you find a balance of meds/therapy that helps you manage your illness and live a fulfilling life.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

I love how UFO poo poo has almost totally vanished from the conspiracy mainstream since cell phones became a universal thing everyone in the world pretty much has.

Holy poo poo, you just reminded me of some threads I took part in at abovetopsecret about how the governments of the world would be forced to admit the existence of aliens within the next ten years because the expectation was (this was around 2005 or so) that when everyone had a video camera on them UFO videos would become so utterly prolific that the reality of the alien presence on Earth would be undeniable.

Hell, back when I was still posting as Truckin A Man I ate a couple probations for posting UFO related material. I certainly believed that the smartphone would force the existence of ET's/Ghosts/various other paranormal phenomena out into the open once and for all.

Course, things seem to not have worked out that way. Sometimes I wonder how many embarassed former conspiracy theorists are out there versus how many of my former conspiracy peers are still hammering away on their keyboards, just now at The_Donald instead of GodLikeProductions?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

dwarf74 posted:

It's gotten to the point where - because of the undeniable lack of any convincing physical evidence of any of it - UFOs and Bigfoot have turned into spiritual entities for a lot of devotees. I mean, people are even swearing that SA-originated-meme Slenderman is a real thing, and that all of these are "tulpas" - figures from our subconscious and imagination made real by our beliefs in them. That's why people talk about "experiencers" these days instead of abductees or contactees. I mean, if they are just experiencing it, who's to say it's not real, eh?

While I was homeless I must have sat through at least a half dozen detailed accounts of personal encounters with Slenderman from other homeless people. It was an experience that stands out for having seemed pretty surreal at the time- and that is saying something.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

CountFosco posted:

The best you can do for believing in Slenderman would be to claim that while originally it wasn't real, because it captured the public's imagination, the psychic energy of its popularity has caused it to manifest, sort of like the monsters from the id of Forbidden Planet, or that Borges short story where a fake encylopedia starts becoming believed and gradually starts to reshape reality.

During my 2 years as homeless I met people who affirmed with 100% conviction that they had personally seen Slenderman at least a dozen times (if not twice that many). As you can expect showing them the thread that created Slenderman had no discernible impact. My interpretation is that belief in Slenderman has become sufficiently widespread that he is a permanent ficture of American paranormal beliefs/urban legends.

Ironically, it could be argued that Goons actually did in fact unleash a psychological tulpa by promoting belief in Slenderman as a collective prank. Something which at the time several mentally ill goons (myself not among them) argued could happen.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 24, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
There was a conscious effort on the part of goons to promote the idea of Slenderman as a real thing to see if the internet could create a new monster archetype. There was a spirit of collective experimentation on the internet at the time (and on the SA forums in particular) and no one really knew how far things could be taken or what the potential downsides actually were. It was all hypothetical. So there was this idea on the forums at the time to put out high-quality Slenderman material to see if we could get the concept of Slenderman as a monster archetype to catch hold- things like Marble Hornets were in part motivated by this collective curiosity/spirit of experimentally pushing the boundaries.

steinrokkan posted:

Slenderman is such a generic figure (tall, vaguely menacing, contemporary, yet with no distinguishing features) that if anything it's surprising that the name Slenderman took off and there aren't people online ranting that Slenderman is just a false flag operation to discredit their real encounters with the identical Beaver Hill Phantom / Maple Alley Stalker / Churchhall Underpass Spirit from the 1970s.
This is the sort of thing that is really only obvious in hindsight IMO. At the time there were goons arguing that it might (emphasis on "might") be possible to push Slenderman as a concept because of those exact reasons you just listed. Thing was though at the time they were considered borderline loons- people with an idea that amounted to little more than an elaborate prank trying to find any justification for their bizarre belief that SA could manipulate the entire worlds psyche. The idea that Slenderman could catch on widely was not fully accepted by the community at the time and was the subject of ridicule in certain parts of the forums.

If you could show the forums at the time what Slenderman has become there is no loving way they would believe you- Slenderman's spread as an accepted concept has far exceeded even the wildest assed speculation by promoters of the idea back then.

Edit: At the time that portions of the community (mostly GBS 1.0) were actively pushing Slenderman as a concept there were multiple mentally ill goons who were banned for going on rants that the forums were unleashing/creating a tulpa. It was enough of a thing that there were even parody accounts centered around accusing Goons of unleashing tulpas for everything else we were doing at the time.

I am just remarking on the irony of the facts of the situation. (I was not a participant myself and was a semi-infrequent lurker of the Slendemran thread itself- I mostly stayed out of the conversations about whether or not Slenderman could catch on because I was already treading thin ice with my attempts to promote UFO conspiracies in GBS.) It has been a fascinating experience for me to watch the whole thing slowly develop and unfold over time, as well as watch the community amnesia set in about just precisely how Slenderman managed to slip out of the forums. (He didn't do it on his own, there was a sustained push by a faction of goons.)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 24, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Just to check, you guys are still suspicious of 9/11 but just avoiding falling into outright koookery yeah? Like, nobody here is naive enough to accept the official story as told, correct?

Oh we of course realize that the official story of 9-11 is bunk. (We just like to make fun of the obvious nutballs like the guys who think the towers were melted with space lasers) Around here in this thread we all have our own little pet theories about what probably happened and love to share them. Would you be willing to share yours? :allears:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Toothy McBeard posted:

It's a shame that in a bastion of diligent nerds who like to argue on the internet that I can't find a single individual willing to actually face the foolish arguments of these Truthers.

In all this bullshit is there not a single person willing to confront it?

Or should I just accept that no one is willing to watch a video like that, because only crazy people watch them.

hmm..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYUYya6bPGw&t=109s

You sure are offended that no one wants to debunk this video for you instead of doing a bit of googling for yourself. Perhaps you are being about as subtle as an Amway salesperson. Just saying.

Keeshhound posted:

This has all been very informative. Thank you.

I was blinking "T H I S I S A T R A P" in Morse code at him the entire time and he still bit right down on the bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

RagnarokAngel posted:

This...makes the whole thing even more absurd. The more people you have involved in the process, even if they don't know the whole story, improves the odds that someone squeals.

That is before we get into the fact that there is no magical "guy" out there with the kind of resources it would take to pull off 9-11. Finding a single person willing to die for their cause in cold blood is actually pretty damned hard, finding 19 such indivuals is even harder. Usually such individuals are messes of human beings who can barely function: finding 19 individuals willing to die for their cause in cold blood who are also competent enough to execute an operation like this takes pretty much state-level access to resources.

• Locked thread