Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Redeye Flight posted:

You're not. It's a very uncommon design--it might well be unique unless I'm misremembering. Have some image.

In the World Trade Center, each building had a central shaft of extremely strong supports which surrounded and encased the elevator cores. These paired with supports around the exterior--these are the ribs that gave the buildings their unique exterior look. They combined to force all the weight pressure to the cores and walls of the building and result in interiors which aren't cluttered up with support pillars affecting the lines of sight and layouts. This is very important if you're selling office space, since it gives your tenants additional flexibility for modifying the space.
See also this famous photo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

Wow, I've never actually seen that one before.

This illustrates perfectly what I just took all those paragraphs to say. If a more typical office building was shot like this, you would see much less light due to how dispersed the elevators, wiring, piping, ventilation, and other opaque-things-hidden-away are. The Towers had all that concentrated into their cores.

I liked the paragraphs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

chairface posted:

I'm vaguely tempted to start a Boston Marathon Bombing denial thing just to see if anyone'd buy it.

You could try starting a Boston Marathon denial group instead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Isn't the official D&D position to support Year Zero?

Yeah, it was a pretty good update of the early Batman years. Hard to do, given the status of Year One, but Snyder pulled it off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It becomes clear in a head-to-head test of the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

An apt comparison, if Mathematica were an operating system, and if Wolfram pushed mandatory hardware-obsoleting software updates

It's not like you could undo the upgrade either.

Because Mathematica doesn't have a functioning undo system.

This has not caused me annoyance earlier this evening, why do you ask?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

xthetenth posted:

God. I blame that on the technical inexpertise to jam those pictures together and think it's not murdering detail. The first two faces are visibly probably ten years apart as well.

She just has a very stressful job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gen. Ripper posted:

What's this factoid I see truthers bringing up sometimes about the 9/11 hijackers being terrible pilots? It's really tempting to just write it off with a "Well, the planes were supposed to crash :v:"-type statement, but my mind is telling me to go deeper.

They couldn't have actually hit the targets therefore the planes were being remote controlled.

• Locked thread