Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Miltank posted:

The trump card that I often see getting pulled has to do with the third WTC tower going down. Is there a black and white answer for that?

One of the towers toppled over as it collapsed (though truthers like to say they both fell "into their footprints") and tore a gash into the side of WTC 7. The damage and fire caused it to collapse much later in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think a key factor in the Internet is that someone with the beginnings of a belief in conspiracy theories can easily find large communities dedicated to espousing those theories. At some point a conspiracy theorist is a member of the community, and someone debunking conspiracy theories is attacking the conspiracy community itself.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

site posted:

Sorry to be a bit late to the party, but I was just reading through the JFK assassination stuff a few pages back and thought I'd chime in real quick: to anyone who's curious, I'd highly recommend reading through Tim Weiner's book Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (and his follow-up Enemies: The History of the FBI while you're at it). Entirely based off declassified CIA documents and firsthand interviews with retired staff.

Anyways, chapter 21 (pp. 256-271) is all about CIA's investigation into the assassination and THEIR DERAILMENT of the Warren Commission. As has been mentioned before, CIA did know that Oswald had tried to previously attempted to contact the KGB but never followed up on it. During their investigation, they also discovered not only that the FBI had numerous records of Oswald trying to get in contact with Cuban officials and had altercations with anti-Cuban protestors, but that the feds had neglected to share any of this info with them. They then decided (in cahoots with the FBI) NOT to share any of this, or the fact that they tried on multiple occasions to assassinate Castro themselves, with the Commission in order to cover their own asses and not spark World War 3 by having the Commission come to the conclusion that it was a state-approved political killing. So while they may not have had a hand in it, they definitely thought that the buck did NOT stop with Oswald (as in, they thought it was Castro, not the Ruskies).

In fact, cliche as it may be to say, the only "real" conspiracy of CIA is that they are or ever have been effective. Overall, from it's formation to present, they literally have an operational success rate in the low teens percentage-wise. It's pathetic and they've left TONS of worldwide damage in their wake.

Thanks for the recommendation. The Mitrokhin Archive has some interesting information on the JFK assassination. According to that book, the KGB tried to frame various Americans as the ones who told Oswald to do it, because they feared the knowledge that a lone communist killed the President would lead to another era of McCarthyism. They faked some evidence convincingly and the CIA spent a while pursuing leads against people who'd never had contact with Oswald.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You can swear here, fucker.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The judges who are part of the evil Papist conspiracy are mostly pro-life, while the other three are all pro-choice. You'd think that would be a point in the Church's favour for Jack Chick.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Strudel Man posted:

Sorry, I don't mean this to be snotty, it's just something that bugs me. You mean "canon." Cannon is the artillery-piece, canon is the set of official books and doctrines.

He's obviously talking about that time the Muslims used bibles as ammunition against the Crusaders :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Redeye Flight posted:

How has no-one put THESE two and two together yet?

Ron Paul says that the US government has secretly taken some of the gold out of Fort Knox, so the idea is kicking around.

• Locked thread