Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Ramagamma posted:

Conspiracy theorists, in my limited experience are bat-poo poo retarded and not worth listening too. They take concepts which are worthy of debate ie: "The Government does not have our best interests at heart" or "the monetary system is designed to imprison us" and mix it with things like "chemtrails" and "false flag operations" and "fluoride is a poison" and "vaccines are killing you".

Actively not socially interacting with these sorts is the best method.

Depends if they are a legit devoted conspiracy theorist or just curiously paranoid like I have been myself. It doesn't usually take me long to pick apart the bullshit though, and I have a friend who the same who is happy to learn when the conspiracy theories he believes are bullshit. But yes, trying to debate with the run of the mill internet conspiracy theorist is most likely a wasted effort. Never really spoke to a dogmatic loon in person before, other than somebody who believed in the Icke lizard men thing in my circle of friends. We just made fun of him.

Also Icke is a loveable nutter.

Also an excellent paper on the subject here:

“What about building 7?” A social psychological study of online discussion of 9/11 conspiracy theories
Michael J. Wood* and Karen M. Douglas
http://www.frontiersin.org/personality_science_and_individual_differences/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00409/abstract

Also hilariously misrepresented by Press TV, the Iranian state propaganda outlet.
http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/07/12/313399/conspiracy-theorists-vs-govt-dupes/

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Main Paineframe posted:

On the other hand, what separates "crazy nutjob" conspiracies like trutherism from "probably legit" conspiracy theories like that one US ship that was "accidentally" bombed by Israel way back when?

Conspiracy theories that are still in the realms of possibility. Trutherism/nutjobs doesn't care for rationality, and if they give up on one theory they will go on to another one as long as 'they' are still responsible.

• Locked thread