Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Prester John posted:

Icke is a bit different than the regular conspiracy crowd. He starts off perfectly rational and will go into detail about real events and problems in the world. He has been a pretty outspoken critic of Corporatism, both political parties in the US, Isreal, and especially the banking cartel. Actually, having attended one of his 10 hour lectures, I would say probably about 65% of the time was spent discussing pretty non crazy stuff. About 20% of his time was spent on the whole "we are all one" New Agey kind of stuff. And the rest was spent on some pretty out there ideas. He might have spent about 3-4 minutes on the reptilian alien thing. The main thing with Icke that is unlike a ton of other conspiracy theorists, his stuff is at least internally consistent. And he's not angry and shouting about it. His presentation is also very positive, especially compared to an Alex Jones. He doesn't try to terrify his audience, he tells them that no matter its all going to be okay. He emphasizes personal spiritual growth as the way to improve society. All in all he is pretty harmless and I think that is part of his charm. He talks a ton of sense and kind of just eases the nuttier stuff in there.

He sounds like a harmless old hippie with some out there ideas and now I sort of feel bad for all of the years of "lol Lizards" that I've done. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I distinctly remember hearing erroneous reports about there being 12 more hijacked airliners in the sky, along with the State Department being car-bombed and the National Mall being on fire.

Of course all of these turned out not to be true, but to a conspiracy theorist any retracted initial report is a sign of a cover-up in progress.

Yeah, I remember hearing that terrorists were shooting up New York and that a group of them were fighting with Capitol Police in Washington D.C. In retrospect it's all silly and unbelievable, but the unbelievable had already happened three times that day, so...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A conspiracy needs some kind of backdoor dealings though. Caesar openly picked a fight with the Helvetii, and then just kept using the branched off conflicts as pretexts for total invasion under the guise of "defending Roman interests." While his stated goals were completely false, his real goals were not hidden to anyone, and were openly called out in the Senate by his opponents.

Yeah, but a lot of other people were slavering at the riches in good lands, booty, and slaves that the Gallic Wars would bring in, so most of the upper-class that wasn't explicitly pro or anti-Caesar didn't give a toss. Romans never were really against the idea of wars of conquest and profit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Panda Bear posted:

Real inconsistencies and evidence of conspiracies surrounding 9/11 and the USS Cole bombings

http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a101400colethwart&scale=2#a101400colethwart

Also why is the CIA so comfy with al qaeda and why is it so easy for them to escape jails and prisons?

I miss lf

There are always going to be inconsistencies in the reporting on complicated events. We talked earlier upthread about all of the sideways stories that were reported when 9/11 was going down, is the fact that parts of those stories were retracted evidence of a conspiracy? Or is it more likely that it was media correcting and adding to the account as the story broke?

Panda Bear posted:

I feel like this stuff is a lot more interesting than what everyone is talking about but it seems like you're all just satisfied in asserting your intellectual dominance over "conspiracy theorists" (of which I have met few in real life compared with people whose worldviews strive towards an accordance with logic) and (I will say this for the second time) accepting a literal schizophrenic as some sort of authority on conspiracies and "conspiracy theorists." This thread really belongs in GBS with the way it's being handled. Just because you once heard some guy say that he thinks missiles blew up WTC or whatever doesn't mean that everyone who thinks 9/11 was an inside job or some sort of conspiracy is an idiot or not knowledgable or whatever.

First off, Prester John is providing the thread with a really good account of why he had been a conspiracy theorist and why he thinks that he stopped being one. It's interesting and pertinent to what we're talking about.

Second, very smart people can fall into the conspiracy trap. The human mind looks for patterns, and smart people are very good at finding patterns. And once a smart person has taken a position, they're very good at defending it. That doesn't mean that they're right or that they completely understand what they're talking about.

Third, "missiles blowing up WTC" is really just slightly less coherent than "[Global Elite "X"] had the supports filled with thermite and explosives so that when hijacked planes hit the WTC they could be brought down." Both are so far beyond the capabilities and behavior of anyone in government (or finance or wherever) that they're just not credible.

Why? Do you think anyone there would've done anything more than string you along and talk about Lizard People?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

One of the largest gold respositories in the world was in the WTC basement. Obviously, this became the prime motive for some alternate explanations, because Bad Guys loving love gold and stealing gold (see: the Illuminati, cowboys in black hats, Bond villains etc.) Don't think too hard about how this successful bank heist involved crashing thousands of tons of twisted flaming wreckage directly on top of the vault you wish to loot. After a few weeks of clearing the site the gold was removed, safe and sound (if you trust the dishonest Jewish media, of course.)

The conspiracy is based in reading differing accounts of the value of the stored metals, because those articles are certainly accurate and in no way misleading or misinterpreted. The simplest explanation is that the actual value of the metal changed on a daily basis and the conspiracy crowd doesn't have the proper information, but it's not like a little hurdle like lack of information is going to stop anyone from wild speculation.

Although from what I understand there was an attempt of some sort to get into the vault which failed but resulted in the National Guard being called in to guard it while the precious metals were packed up and moved elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Where did you read this? I doubt that your recollection is accurate, given that the site was swarming with public safety personnel and covered in thousands of tons of jagged flaming metal. Not exactly the best conditions in which to secretly remove large volumes of precious metals. Obviously it's really difficult to search for accurate information about anything where the mundane truth has far less hits than the crazy speculation but I just don't see how anyone could have made a serious attempt to access the vaults after poo poo started going down.

EDIT: I found this article, which isn't setting off any crazy alarms for me. So it looks like a couple opportunits tried and failed to enter the vault, which makes loads more sense than some grand conspiracy.

It's so long ago. I just remember reading about it sometime in 2001, probably late-September/early-October. And yeah, that NYT article looks like what I remember reading. Just mixed up the principals by saying "National Guard" when it was actually NYPD and FDNY guys doing the moving.

• Locked thread