Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
In a world where the truth is a nightmare, some people decide that they can just go up and make their dream scenarios a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

My favorites are the people who think that by analyzing 480p Youtube footage, they can discern exactly how the building was destroyed.

This particular part, the way they'll obsess over the details in a video that's been re-encoded and reformatted dozens of times before they see it, reminds me of how fundamentalist Christians will point to a King James Bible as the original and definitive version of the Bible, as part of whatever they're trying to prove.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A very large number of conspiracy theorists simply have never been told accurate information. They only ever hear about things from other conspiracy theorists, and simply don't take time to look up, say, that yes buildings collapse when a they have huge fires burning in them after they're hit by a plane.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

muscles like this? posted:

That one is kind of weird since it involves some really cherry picked pictures to show that there wasn't any plane wreckage by the Pentagon.

Yeah people somehow expect that a plane crashing into a massive building at 400 miles per hour would just crumple up + explode exactly like a cartoon or something. It's bizarre.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Jesus, does he have any idea how small a cruise missile is compared to an airliner? I mean aside from them not looking remotely alike. And lots of people outside the building saw the plane. And the loving remains of passengers in the building. And the knocked down light poles. And and and BLARRRGHHH.

Your typical truther's idea of a cruise missile:

Seriously, I've mentioned it before but a lot of the people propagating conspiracy theories rely either intentionally or incidentally on the fact that most people simply don't know some basic facts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Of course that's a cruise missile. I mean it obviously can't be a heavy lift vehicle that can land 2 people on the moon and return them safely home right? :tinfoil:

Well no, that's a Saturn IB, it can only put manned craft into Earth orbit. If you look closer you'll see it's missing some of the extra stages that the Saturn V had in order to get all the way to the moon.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HootTheOwl posted:

Actually, this sort of works against them. All the security cameras are pointed out, towards gates, fences, and access points. Plus these would be pointed down, since people are usually on the ground.
Also I heard they confiscated all the tapes, so there's that too.

I always liked the "confiscated tapes" argument, as if the military would have to confiscate their own tapes from themselves.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

urseus posted:

But then the decide to release 2 still photos which don't actually show a plane? Why bother. If your going to release a picture release one that shows the plane.

Planes move very fast, security cameras generally record at a low frame rate, especially back then, because it saved tape usage. There were no security cameras placed at angles particularly suited to catching the plane as it dived in at 300+ mph (because your ground security cameras aim at ground level to catch dudes trying to sneak up, while aerial stuff would instead be caught on radar not visual), hence no good pictures out of it.

The security cameras could probably have caught a plane landing "safely", but pretyt much anything else not really.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 5, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Star Man posted:

I don't understand these things. Why would some shadow organization or conspirator insert all of these hidden images or do things where you could trace out their symbol on a map and why are they so obsessed with doing it? Why would you place something like the Freemason's compass on everything aside from your stationary and media, make certain locations that you want to be your centers for organization the shape of the compass, or hide it in the negative space of another design? Why advertise your intentions when you're trying to do shadowy things? Are these conspirators being run by the Crips?

Part of a lot of conspiracy theory beliefs is that you, Bob Average, has the ability to have a measure of power against Those Evil People, usually by knowing some of their secrets. Therefore they have to have "secrets" hidden in normal stuff for you to find so that you have that power.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair to them, companies and organizations usually will include certain subtle designs in their logos as part of the overall thrust of the idea. The FedEX logo arrow is a prime example, the core content of the logo is just the words, but the arrow helps to reinforce a theme of "fast" or "forward". But if you expose certain people to this concept they start expecting that all logos everywhere must have layers beyond the surface to be found.

That the three arrows are meant to emphasize the three slogans/things to do (reduce reuse recycle) but must have a further secret meaning or design behind it would be "logical" to them. And frankly the 6 point star is really easy to build out of a lot of things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

Actually while talking with some friends about this topic, it was pointed out to me a lot of people in australia do buy into the whole vast-left-wing-conspiracy climate change denialist gibberish, and theres a fair bit of the hippy vaccine denialist and what not sorts of things.

So I retract that statement about no major conspiracy theories here. Its not quite true.

Well, Australia is also the home and birthplace of the modern Creationist movement, and you could certainly argue that they like to push conspiracy messages (like Christians being persecuted and scientists covering up evidence of god).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

Yeah I do realise the Answers in Genesis clowns came from australia, but their impact was much larger in the US then it ever was here. Fundamentalism does have some roots here but we're a fairly secular country and discussing religion outside the family home is seen as uncouth to most people. Generally when Tony Abbot started ranting about jesus in the year before the election it worked against him and he dropped the jesus talk fairly quickly. I'm not sure an Atheist president would be even possible in the US at this stage in history.

None the less, yeah I guess religious inspired conspiracy theory does exist like it does anywhere else, but I wouldn't go blaming australia for the US's fundie problems. As much as we imported one of our whackos to the US (the answers in genesis people), we've just as much had to endure your pentecostalists and charismatics and all the other hardcore bible thumpers coming here to recruit.

They allied with the hyper-conservative Queensland government in the 80s to get full on creationism back in public school science classes for a few years. It was a pretty huge problem that thankfully got fixed. Most of them started spreading their sickness to America after that (we had not had any kind of widespread active creationist movement between them coming in and about the end of world war ii).

Those bible thumpers were referred to Australia for the most part by the creationist Aussies who migrated to America. Student exchange program but with anti-knowledge, basically.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hasn't it recently be found that a lot more people have total or partial face-blindness then previously thought? Primarily due to the sufferers often being unaware other people weren't suffering from it, and having developed coping mechanisms that worked well enough.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Questions never turn out be valid, answers can.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why is all the poo poo the government doesn't want us to know always blurry?

HAARP Illuminati control rays

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also Alex Jones had a habit of reporting it as "they can see what you're doing because they hide microphones in everyone's teeth" versus, you know, looking at phone records and using DejaNews type stuff (if you remember when that was its own thing).

Edit: In case you don't know what I'm referencing there, most people on the internet before the late 90s used Usenet groups as we would tend to use both forums and blogs nowadays. This was text based, entirely unencrypted, and messages would be copied from server to server across the world. People would often get upset when they realized a three letter agency might be monitoring them. But this system was completely open so of course anyone with hard drives to spare and an internet conenction could save all of it.

DejaNews was a service that held records of pretty much every message ever posted to usenet from the 80s up til now. They got bought out by Google and its now part of google groups, but then as now you could search their usenet archives to track people, topics, you name it. So of course the NSA or anyone else could do the same.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 30, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spite posted:

Have there been any conspiracies about the Voynich Manuscript? That seems ripe for them.

It doesn't have an "official story" for conspiracy theorists to loudly rail against, so there's far less then you might expect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchy Smurf posted:

This is what actually makes me mad. Why the gently caress does a Neo-Nazi says "holocaust never happened"? I mean, they already state that non-aryans should be removed from the genre pool. If it was me, I would be saying "Holocaust happened, and we have to repeat it".

True Aryan planning wouldn't have left a single undesirable alive! Therefore it was all a fake by the race traitors and we need to do it right this time. :shepface:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Larry_Mullet posted:

I don't think the radiation is the root cause I think it's depressed their immune system enough to allow this disease to ravage them.

That is simply not how their biology works, even if we made the utterly false assumption massive amounts of radiation somehow showed up there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There was also that Chernobyl was in the middle of the Eurasian landmass, with prevailing winds blowing out over wide swathes of populated land to go with the massive amount of material released. While the prevailing winds around the plants in Japan go out to sea after going a bit up somewhat underpopulated coastlines, which were especially so because of devastation and evacuation in the wake of the tsunami - the minor explosions at the plants took place many hours after the tsunami hit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The_Rob posted:

In reality it should be I don't eat things with more than a few ingredients. When you see lets say a cupcake and it has more than some milk eggs and flour there is probably a problem.

No, this doesn't make sense.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If the CIA wanted to kill JFK they would have been able to come up with a better story for their shooter, including waiting for him to die suddenly years after imprisonment, rather than at a prison transfer. Just saying.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Morphix posted:

Nothing strikes anyone as weird that Oswald was allowed re-entry back into the States after defecting to Russia?

Tons of people were back then. You just weren't going to get readmitted back to high level security/military/diplomatic positions if you did it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here's a great example of how people make money off conspiracy thinkers:
http://www.free-targeted-individuals.com/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure the raw milk rage came out of some dairy farmers' marketing campaign, after they decided they didn't want to have to pay for repairs on their pasteurizing machines.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Driving cars is dangerous. Just *look* at all the people who get killed every year! Not to mention all the non-fatal injuries and property damage. And there is strong evidence that cars are simply too difficult for the average citizen to operate safely (see "Sudden Acceleration Incidents").

Therefore we should ban private ownership of cars. If you want to get anywhere you can take the bus. The government, being interested in your safety, has passed a law declaring that all buses must be safe. Therefore there should be no problems taking a bus anywhere you want to go. And if the bus doesn't take you there, well, that wasn't somewhere you should have been going anyway. I mean, if you just let people drive ANYWHERE THEY WANTED there'd be TOTAL ANARCHY.

(if this sounds ridiculous to you then you are exactly as crazy stupid libertarian as raw-milk people.)

No seriously, banning raw milk from being sold en masse has greatly reduced the amount ofpeople who get sick from milk and if you must have it you can get your own drat cow or go to a farm to get it fresh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

I'm not even sure its the Alex Jones types targetted by this, but rather paranoid schizophrenics.

Anyone who is being "gang stalked" and targeted by "voice to skull" technology isn't in need of "anti electronic mind control technology' , but Thorazine.

I'm fairly sure there's a lot of overlap there, particularly for people who only have mild symptoms

Qublai Qhan posted:

No, I don't think so. Purely rational* advocacy for 'raw milk' only comes from pure economic libertarians (because, as Install Windows said, the harm is so clearly evident: being able to poison yourself as a civil right is not a rational argument), whereas the benefits to real freedom engendered by consumer vehicles is of interest to civil libertarians -- and not only to extreme civil libertarians; you don't even have to believe that individuals should have a right to drink raw milk in order to recognize the real benefits to personal freedom which come from being able to get into a vehicle and go wherever.

I mean, there could be ways to properly monitor raw milk, test each container for pathogens and contamination and all that. This could allow for the safe sale of it, but the costs would likely be quite high to do that. So the simple and effective way is just bar people from selling raw milk in stores and by mail/internet/phone order. And of course if you have your own milk-giving animal you can just have all ya want.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The gently caress is "gang stalking"? :psyduck:

Everything bad that happens to you was done by a large group of people working together to harass you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Italian dudes were just some nerdy guys who got in a little over their heads and had to start one-upping themselves to continue having people pay attention to them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Please do remember that fossil fuel reliance is a global issue, not a special American thing. For instance, European freight transport is ultimately even more reliant on cheap fossil fuels due to the massively higher usage of road trucks vs rail freight.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There have been 3 nuclear powered merchant ships that actually went into service, but building more basically got ended out of fears of ~bad people~ stealing the reactor.

Specifically they were the:
Otto Hahn, West Germany (1968–1979)
Savannah, United States (1962–1972)
Sevmorput, Russia (1988–2012)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchy Smurf posted:

Can I do it instead?
None. Blue skin is a main symptom of two "common" medical conditions, one of which is silver poisoning.
There are thousand of colour photographs from the 1900's where people are white.

Psh way to buy the NWO's lies. And as everyone knows, old color photographs had poor tint accuracy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
As can be seen in the history of color photography, blue skin was first phased out in Soviet Russia, before making its way south and east to the Americas and the rest of Asia, and then finally taking out Europe and Africa.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Byde posted:

Why do conspiracy theorists like Dees always supports Russia as the only good country that exists?

America is bad > Russia is the opposite of America > Russia is therefore Good

It doesn't go any farther than that, in all honesty.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

I remember reading that the USSR honestly believed a lot of UFO conspiracies and actually had agencies working to catalog and investigate any and all sightings. They also looked into a lot of their own MK Ultra style stuff.

Well the US and the Soviets were both very interested in tracking sightings of "UFOs" in case the things people were seeing were secret projects on their own side (e.g. for the US a secret airplane design being tested but a civilian saw it so an enemy agent might have too) or secret projects from the enemy's side (e.g. for the US, some random guy catching a glimpse of the Soviets running a new type of airplane into US airspace). And especially if the weird thing a guy saw in the sky was some sort of secret military equipment that might have crashed and been recoverable for study.

This was the primary purpose for both sides to categorize and catalog unidentified sightings. Heck it's why they often scrambled fighter planes to hunt after them - they didn't think they were going to shoot down some sort of alien spaceship, they thought they might have to shoot down enemy aircraft intruding over their country.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Still, it's funny that Bush took like 2 years after 9/11 to actually get into Iraq.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

babies havin rabies posted:

The new thing seems to be freaking out about bitewing x-rays, even though they dose less than a day's worth of background radiation.

The only halfway-legitimate argument that I've heard against fluoridation of tap water is that a lot of European countries don't do it and their dental health hasn't suffered on average. However, those countries also tend to provide their citizens with actual access to dental healthcare.

Especially since bitwings using digital sensors are in now, which use x-ray energy then the old film methods did.

Nearly all of those European countries fluoridate another common thing instead, usually salt, so they get just as much fluoride. It's not just the dental healthcare (and the point of fluoridating in the first place is to prevent the need to see dentists as often, since even if dentists are free to see and have unlimited availability, tooth pain is still a pain to deal with!).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RagnarokAngel posted:

At least part of the idea to use Fluoride came about because some rural Appalachians had really lovely looking teeth but they were reasonably healthy medically speaking. They realized it was because their water had a shitload of fluoride in it.

It was actually noticing this happened in both some rural areas in the Appalachians and in a bunch of small Texas towns (to the point where a slang name for the discoloration used to be "Texas teeth"), that led them to figure out the common factor was fluoride compounds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
My absolute favorite part is te incredulity that when you smash thin aluminum tubes into brick and ground, it does not in fact wind up sitting on the ground in huge chunks like a Road Runner cartoon. No wait it's the idea that buildings "perfectly imploded".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

That picture is really neat. I always understood the structure, but until now I had no visual concept of what it really looked like

When I was a kid I went to visit a relative who worked in the South Tower (this was about 1997 or so, and they moved buildings entirely long before 9/11). On their particular floor somewhere in the 60s or so, you could seriously see clear across the whole floor, on all sides around the elevator/stair core.

Certainly an entirely different experience from later having to interview at companies in more traditional skyscrapers in midtown in my 20s. You still got a lot of open space there but nothing like the towers.

• Locked thread