Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
n/m - idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

duck monster posted:

Then again, I'm THAT guy in the bandroom bitching out the keyboardist for not using equal tempered tuning. Even marginally out of tune poo poo sounds like hell to me.

If you've got the right sort of digital piano, you can force it into one or more "well-tempered" tunings. It's a mind-blowing experience to hear somebody play selections from The Well-Tempered Clavier on a piano tuned that way; the pieces are basically demos of what you can/should write in different keys to melodically and thematically work around (and with) the "wolf" intervals.

Oh and Bach was obviously in the orbit of the Priory of Sion.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

I'm no conspiracy theorist, and I think Oswald shot Kennedy, but the idea that in a year like 1964 something like the Warren Commission could have been a no-holds-barred exploration of everything about the Kennedy assassination is not very realistic.

[edit] full disclosure - I live in Austin too but I'm not an Alex Jones fan in any way whatsoever except that the youtube where he goes Super Saiyan is p. funny. You can find stacks of Infowars all over the place; car repair shops, hipster hair salons, restaurant waiting areas, etc. There are little spray-painted Infowars bugs all over the place too. It's like a community mental disease.

emfive fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 20, 2014

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Lightning Jim posted:

I heard that one on The Colbert Report so I went and found the guy's interview on Coast to Coast AM. Fairly well detailed and imaginative...execpt for the fact the guy really believes it. :smith: I'd buy that book.

Andrew Basiago - the guy claiming - has a site on this: http://www.projectpegasus.net/

I can't believe you posted that link without posting the Loud Shirts link

http://www.rubberchickenforthesoul.com/mamboloud.html

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

I think you guys mean V2

The V1 was a pulse jet cruise missile.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

But, really, it's the lead in the aqueducts and the gasoline. Another one of my favorite conspiracy theories, glad to see that one is coming from inside the thread.

I might be missing a couple layers of meta here, but my understanding is that the deal with environmental lead from leaded gasoline isn't totally crazy-talk. It's clearly true that there was a shitload of leaded gas burned in the mid-20th century.

I'm happy to be disabused of the notion, but for example there's this and while that author is hesitant to agree with the theory, he's not saying it's :tinfoil:.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

We know that ingesting/inhaling/drinking small mounts of lead can gently caress with you, mentally and physically. It'd be totally reasonable for a person to expect autism to be caused by burning leaded gasoline, if they weren't aware of any other potential causes.

But then we also burn a lot of other poo poo that can gently caress with you, such as coal. And we burn a lot more coal now than we did in the 20s, 40s, etc. Plus there are countless other factors that could have an impact on autism rates, other than just "are we burning some bad stuff?"

Oh well I wasn't referring to autism, just negative health and cognition effects. I've never seen a claim that environmental lead is an autism factor (though I guess it might be).

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Not to derail whatever it is that's going on here, but am I the only one old enough to remember the dude on USENET back in the 80's or early 90's who was (apparently) a hard-core Velikovsky-ite? I think he went by "hTh" on the sci.astro group (I think). He had all sorts of bizarre ideas about how the only way dinosaurs could have actually existed would be that back in the Mesozoic Saturn was much closer to Earth so that its gravity could help the massive animals not collapse into a swamp.

I'm going to go looking for it. There must be some trace of that left; it went on for quite a long time. [edit] Here we go.. Apparently he evolved into a freeper at some point.

There was also the guy ("L. Detweiler", also known as "S.Boxx") on the cypherpunks mailing list and the alt.crypto group who went insane around the time that the original Clipper proposal was floated (1992 or so). He became obsessed with the concept of "pseudo-anonymity", which meant something like people who were real people pretending to be other real people on the internet. It was a pretty weird thing to watch.

:v: new page! perfect time for a random new topic

emfive fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 24, 2014

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Yea I found him. Ted Holden. Man, those were the days.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

computer parts posted:

It was pretty funny when this showed up in Interstellar.

spoiler that poo poo bro

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Did some mod declare LF Rules for this thread or something? idgi

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

How strange that the victim of such a wide-ranging conspiracy, so long on the receiving end of horrific manipulations by mass media, friends, lovers, and strangers, should end up playing the puppetmaster.

It's not a conspiracy - he clearly wrote consirpancy which means that IT FALLS UNDER ADMIRALTY LAW AND THEREFORE EVERYTHING IS NULL AND VOID

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

I have my eyes open and I can see sheeple and RAAARGH RAAAARGH

my saxophone talks to me

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't really know where to post this, but someone linked me to an article written at quantumstones.com about how crystals are actually living things, and that's why people who own rocks and stones sometimes lose them

http://quantumstones.com/crystals-get-lost-crystals-stones-want-rock-world/

The article linked to at the end there basically describes a chemical reaction that occurs within some crystals when they're exposed to ionizing radiation. Apparently crazy people have taken this to mean that crystals and stones are actually living creatures that will sometimes run away from home

A while ago (like, 30 years ago) I was really into minerals. There was a really good rock shop in Dallas, way up off Hillcrest, run by this really nice guy. We'd show up and he'd pull out trays of really cool specimens. I had a decent job so I could drop $20 or $30 dollars on nice rocks once every couple weeks without feeling any pain. I've still got them.

This dude, "Doug" I think, supported his business by doing lots of jewelry work and also, possibly most importantly, selling big clear quartz crystals to people who wanted to communicate with the Atlanteans. Also Tourmaline slices were big, because tourmaline has lots of different color patterns and each one helps focus certain energies or drain certain negativities.

I remember being in there one day when a lady at the shop was explaining to a customer that some varieties of quartz crystals were often called "record keepers" because the Atlanteans would use them to house the lore of their civilization. Doug would always pull us into the back room when that poo poo was going on. He had some of the most beautiful samples of Australian boulder opal I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

There's been a video bouncing around (mostly sourced from Infowars) and an idiot friend of mine linked it on Facebook. This person is a highly-paid silicon engineer for a major American chip producer and yet he took one look at that totally innocuous video and declared it "very creepy". Like, a bunch of guys in the National Guard who probably live within thirty miles of the place in the video are doing a perfectly ordinary National Guard thing, but the fact that when they march through an intersection some of them fall out of line to direct traffic in what's obviously a routine standard procedure means that it's Jade Helmet time and soon we'll all be marched off to FEMA death camps.

On the bright side, this guy is the sort of goofball that in social situations emits a continual stream of LOL-worthy weird statements, including stuff on topics like that video, and because he's generally a good sport he's great fun for me and my (D&D lurker) son at holiday parties.

One of his subsequent comments on that video assured another commenter that he "keeps up with all the big conspiracy theories."

• Locked thread