Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

El Puerco posted:

The Recovery Out is flailing as usual. For you kindergarteners if you open the wood stove, let it get more air, the fuel will burn hotter. To excess, this can even make the stove red hot in places. It doesn't collapse. Your attempt to pull state is noted.

The fuel could not get hot enough to soften any structural support. No significant oxygen source noted.

Dude, I own a woodstove and let me tell you, you let it get red hot like that and you're liable to start a chimney fire. Keep the temperature and airflow down dude, I'm worried for you now because you may be causing irreparable harm to your house.

My personal favorite conspiracy theory is the "new chronology." It boggles the mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chronology_(Fomenko)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

I've been watching a youtube mini series on Marxism and one episode is dedicated to the origins of the Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory which is worth watching given that that one seems to be here to stay for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98uzqpQ3JM

Sure, sure, the Frankfurt school may not have been a conspiracy to whatever, but the more I learn about Theodore Adorno, the less I like him.

"The aim of jazz is the mechanical reproduction of a regressive moment, a castration symbolism. 'Give up your masculinity, let yourself be castrated,' the eunuchlike sound of the jazz band both mocks and proclaims, 'and you will be rewarded, accepted into a fraternity which shares the mystery of impotence with you, a mystery revealed at the moment of the initiation rite."

A repulsive sentence on multiple levels.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I encountered someone who honestly though Marble Hornets was real. They over heard me talking to some friends about Nightminds excellent exploration of the series and he came over and said "you know that's all real. Slenderman really is out there, I've seen him" and I was "uh everyone in it is alive and Slenderman was from a photoshop contest I remember like a decade ago". He got pretty huffy and kind of stormed off. But seriously, how can an adult think that it was real? Yea youtube is totally going to have a long rear end video series featuring murders and some really crazy poo poo (if you add in something like Everyman Hybrid into the mix) without, you know, something being done about it? I forget what it was called, but there was some youtube series that featured a kid out side all freaked out and remorseful, eventually he uploads a video of what looks like him killing his family. That actually got him a visit from the police.

The best you can do for believing in Slenderman would be to claim that while originally it wasn't real, because it captured the public's imagination, the psychic energy of its popularity has caused it to manifest, sort of like the monsters from the id of Forbidden Planet, or that Borges short story where a fake encylopedia starts becoming believed and gradually starts to reshape reality.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I believe that Oswald was the lone gunman, but if it turned out that there was more stuff going on there than has come to light, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Locked thread