Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, MKULTRA is a pretty good example of why I'm worried about dismissing conspiracy theories out of hand: there was no evidence or primary sources on MKULTRA until it was revealed by the government. In 1973, claiming that the government was giving people LSD and other drugs as part of mind control experiments would have been insane crazyland conspiracy theory stuff...despite the fact that, at the time, MKULTRA was being brought to a close after twenty years of experiments and the CIA was busily destroying all records of its existence. The only reason we know about it at all is was because some of the records had been misfiled and thus survived the attempt to shred everything; thanks to the fact that most of the evidence was destroyed, though, it's hard to confidently say "so and so never happened in MKULTRA". It's a goldmine for ridiculous conspiracy theories, yes, but it's kind of hard to blame the conspiracy theorists - given the deliberate destruction of evidence and the highly illegal nature of the experiments, it's a goldmine for crazy anti-government speculation.

The thing is that it wasn't a conspiracy theory. I don't have any trouble believing that our government, or someone else's government has done some seriously horrible poo poo that we don't know about, much like MKULTRA.

The problem is when people come out of the blue and make a claim with no supporting evidence. And while I have no trouble believing their claim is possible, there is no way in hell I'm giving them any attention or credibility without at least some evidence, and I won't believe them until it's proven so. The worst thing about conspiracy theories is that while there is rarely enough evidence to prove them true, it's also difficult to prove them wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread