Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Strangely, one of the best explanations for conspiracy theorists of all stripes is mostly missing from this thread and it's one of the most obvious explanations.

People want to seem smart. They want to be the ones who know what 'really' happened. If they 'know' there are aliens at Area 51 and the government is keeping it from the rest of society, guess what? Then they're smarter and more privileged than John Q. Public. They are in the know.

Once a person latches on to an idea that they think makes them intellectually superior to the average person, and/or one that puts them into a select group of right-thinking 'intellectuals', it's going to be god drat hard to make them give up that belief, because then they'll have to admit that their great insight was wrong.

edit to add: This is especially easy to do with 9/11 truther crap because understanding explosives, construction techniques, airplanes, social dynamics, and all the other complicated things that go into such a scenario are 'hard' to understand, so manipulating facts to suit a belief that holographic airplanes triggered plastic explosives in the buildings is easy to mishmash to fit whatever view you have because they 'know' so much more about whatever facts could be distorted than your average layman does. It helps lend credence to both the theory and their own view that they have special knowledge that precludes rational thought.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish they'd tied the Royals and baseball connection together and ultimately tried to convince us that all of these acts are perpetrated by the Kansas City Royals for some nefarious scheme.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

People seriously believe a 2-bit bayou gangster would have the clout to off a sitting POTUS?

You'd think that'd happen a lot more if that were possible.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Most educated people I know have other poo poo they need to worry about and/or aren't interested in the slightest about conspiracies except for maybe the "woah, dude" effect of them. Just because you're oh so much smarter than the general public doesn't mean you're immune from manipulation or deception.

It equally doesn't mean that conspiracy theorists are correct.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That album came out in 1978.
23 years before 9/11, a soft rock band knew this was coming?
34 years after the fact, reversing the image "kinda looks like 9/11", sorta... is the basis of this persons conspiracy?

That's god drat amazing. Almost a quarter of a century earlier, a soft rock band from England knew about 9/11. That's...that's incredible.

I wonder what future divinations I'll be able to pull from my 40oz to Freedom cd jacket liner.

• Locked thread